Pulling the hose around for gas

Not nearly as bad as this, but a friend had his girlfriend add motor oil to the automatic trans instead of the engine. It was only 1 quart, and he did a drain and refill, but after having the vehicle driven a bit. Of course that doesn't get rid of all of it unless you do a full power flush. But it diluted enough that it seemed to have no bad effect. After all automatic transmission fluid is really more a hydraulic pressure fluid than pure lubricant. This was also back with traditional hydraulic valve body automatic, not the new electronic solenoid controlled like current cars. Plus both motor oil and ATF are petroleum based so they mix fine. Not like oil and water for sure.

The family business had an old GMC that was burning oil something fierce. I ran out of oil for it and put in some transmission fluid. The sound of the engine smoothed right out and the smoke was lessened. Not sure how good the actual lubrication was, but since the vehicle was just barely worth keeping, I didn't worry about it. I WOULD worry about motor oil in the tranny, however. Glad you saw no damage.

Most boats have lots of deck fittings marked for things like fuel fill, water fill or waste pump-out. These fittings of course all pretty much look the same, except for the labels cast into them. Even the fishing rod holders can sort of resemble a fuel fill fitting.

You can imagine how many funny stories this leads to, along with an occasional tragedy.

A similar thing can happen with RVs. There's a story going around about some thieves who tried to siphon fuel from an RV but used the waste fitting, instead.

The family business had an old GMC that was burning oil something fierce. I ran out of oil for it and put in some transmission fluid. The sound of the engine smoothed right out and the smoke was lessened. Not sure how good the actual lubrication was, but since the vehicle was just barely worth keeping, I didn't worry about it. I WOULD worry about motor oil in the tranny, however. Glad you saw no damage.

A lot of Chrysler transmission like the one in our minivan were ruined by quick-lube places putting in GM or "universal ATF" instead of the Chrysler-branded ATF.

No problems with our minivan after nearly 20 years/180,000 miles, even though I probably have had it changed only every 60,000 miles.

I do gas it up for my spouse, though, especially given an online posting about how much a female owner preferred her new EV which allowed refueling at home.

Instead of being harassed by random guys at the gas station trying to chat her up.

A lot of Chrysler transmission like the one in our minivan were ruined by quick-lube places putting in GM or "universal ATF" instead of the Chrysler-branded ATF.

No problems with our minivan after nearly 20 years/180,000 miles, even though I probably have had it changed only every 60,000 miles.

I do gas it up for my spouse, though, especially given an online posting about how much a female owner preferred her new EV which allowed refueling at home.

Instead of being harassed by random guys at the gas station trying to chat her up.

I saw one gal point her hose at a guy who was not willing to go back to his own car. He went back.

Mmkay, it can be done. But still, this makes me cringe!

Attachments

• Mark_VII.jpg
    Mark_VII.jpg
    671.2 KB · Views: 27

Trying to figure out why women don’t like to gas up their cars is an interesting study in pop psychology that’s waiting to be done

Trying to figure out why women don’t like to gas up their cars is an interesting study in pop psychology that’s waiting to be done

Could be similar to why guys don't like to hold their wife's purse while she tries something on? :LOL:

Mmkay, it can be done. But still, this makes me cringe!
Why does it make you cringe?

I do that all the time at Costco. Saves a lot of time when the left sides of the pumps have no line and the right sides are six deep.

Costco has extra length hoses and posts signs encouraging this.

As a follow up to my post above, it's just not something you do, to a Mark V. Maybe it's a classic car culture thing, but to lay or drag anything like that across the paint of a car is just, well, disrespectful.

Newer cars sure, have at it!

Yep they make hoses long enough for a reason

No, they don't. They make a sign which says the hose is long enough. But in most cases it isn't. Even if you happen to park perfectly, it barely reaches, and drags across the car. The hose is black rubber which collects grit from the pavement and oily residue from the fuel.

If you're ok with that, good for you. Most of us would rather just wait a few extra minutes. At least, that's how it is around my area.

I like Costco gas customers who insist on being in a line where there gas tank is beside the pump.

We don't. It often means a shorter line. Especially the last two times.

I can see it being an issue with certain pickup trucks depending on the bed and where the fill up is.

Last edited:

I think it's the nail thing. Best way to break a nail - gassing up the car (according to most women I've surveyed.)

Heh, heh, taking out the trash is the 2nd worst risk of a broken nail, apparently.:facepalm:

If you're ok with that, good for you. Most of us would rather just wait a few extra minutes. At least, that's how it is around my area.

If you drove my car you would not care either. Having said that I have not needed to fill on the far side in decades

As a follow up to my post above, it's just not something you do, to a Mark V. Maybe it's a classic car culture thing, but to lay or drag anything like that across the paint of a car is just, well, disrespectful.

Newer cars sure, have at it!

Ok, but maybe the point is if you can do this with a big ol’ Mark V, surely you can reach around any of todays downsized models.

Ok, but maybe the point is if you can do this with a big ol’ Mark V, surely you can reach around any of todays downsized models.

Oh, you can do it with probably any vehicle. I've done it with my 2012 Ram, on the rare occasion I've filled up at BJ's, and didn't feel like waiting so I did a reach-around.

But it just seems a travesty to drag that hose across a classic!

I rarely fuel up any of our vehicles, my wife is afraid I'll pay more than the cheapest price in town! ;-)

If we travel, then I'll get to/have to refuel, but we only do that a few times a year. Not really a complaint, the vehicles are always full if a hurricane is coming and she keeps track of prices, I'm oblivious to it.

As a clumsy teenager at my Dad's Shell station, I once kicked/bumped a running hose by mistake, and took a gasoline bath. I've been reeaal careful, ever since!

Thanks, God, no smokers were nearby!

As a clumsy teenager at my Dad's Shell station, I once kicked/bumped a running hose by mistake, and took a gasoline bath. I've been reeaal careful, ever since!

Thanks, God, no smokers were nearby!

I know that safety issues have been addressed at gas stations (auto-shut offs, etc.) but I'm amazed we don't see a lot more fires. I guess after so many years of gassing up cars, we've learned how to do it relatively safely - thank goodness!

Back
Top Bottom