Reached $250,000, but I'm exhausted

Get a dog?

You need to relax somehow. You've got a few more years to go under any financial circumstances and however much you're makings sounds like it isn't worth it.

There are lots of resources available to help a young guy like you find more meaningful employment. If you find something you like to do, sticking in there until you're 50 or so won't be bad and you'll still be younger than most people who retire early.

Hang in there.

We have a nephew who sounds a lot like you. He graduated top of his class and went to work on Wall Street. Was making crazy money, and saving like mad. Easy to save when you spend 18 hours/day at work. (No time to spend it.)

Changed jobs to a different firm 2 years in, after collecting the initial (sweet) retention bonus. Went to a firm that had less than stellar ethics, got in trouble with his bosses for refusing to cross some ethical lines. Decided work was not going to define him, and that he wasn't going to give up doing the right thing for a buck.

At this point he did a real cold hard look at himself. He was young and had a huge salary for his age (or any age - he was making serious bucks). But no life. And he hated what he was doing.

He had saved enough he decided to go into an entirely different field... so he quit, went to graduate school.

He is now rising in a completely different field - one that he loves. He works for the government so he'll never make the $$ he was on wall street. But it's more than enough to meet his expenses and savings goals.

As a bonus he fell in love in grad school. Life is good.

Sometimes you have to shift gears, change directions, to be happy. It worked for him.

They say life isn't figuring out what you want to do, but rather what you *don't* want to do....

Grinch said:
They say life isn't figuring out what you want to do, but rather what you *don't* want to do....

I have never heard that expression, but it sure fits me. Sounds like something a "pessimist" would say, not an "optimist" :)

Back
Top Bottom