recommendation for a good DVR?

I considered the Windows Media DVR route too.

But I would have wanted a nice computer that I could hook up to my HDTV and would have wanted the cable card version of the Homerun tuner so I could have saved a bit of money but not too much.

And I heard in the end that WMC and the HD Homerun Prime are not that reliable.

Plus, Tivo gives me streaming on the iPad and iPhone, in and out of the home, as well as the ability to control the DVR. It's a lot easier to delete recordings and browse the guide with the Tivo iPad app.

Like KiraC, I also have the Magnavox 1T model. Of the ones I've owned (I had two different brands earlier), this one is definitely the most reliable. Plus, it has a buit-in DVD player/recorder and dubbing ability from/to DVD and DVR and you can quickly skip past commercials from the remote.

On the minus side, the picture quaility isn't as super sharp like on some, and only records 1 program at a time. Also, programming to record is similar to old VCRs by entering day/time/channel info. Programming is done via the remote. But personally, I don't see that as that bad as I only have a handful of programs which I record regularly.

Overall, I'm quite happy with this DVR.

While the new models support streaming directly (The Roamio models), I have a TiVo Stream stand alone box that does the streaming to my iPhone/iPad both locally and out over the internet. This was a software upgrade.

Well, I may have the capability then and never realized it. I'll have to try it out next time I'm out of town. Thanks for the tip!

Tivo Roamio and Mini will let you all view recordings on the main Roamio box from any of the Minis.

You must have ethernet or coax between the rooms though. Wireless is not supported.

Yes, the TiVo mini has an wired ethernet port and no built-in WiFi, but...

What the mini requires is fast networking - the streaming data needs to flow fast enough to keep up. So, by sing a wireless to wired router, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZT2PB4
(there are many other options, I just have one of these and it works well)

you can easily hook up the mini where there isn't ethernet. I do this for our older TiVo HD (though I use an old Apple Airport Express).

It's a smidgen more complicated, but not much. Just a router plugged into the power with an ethernet cable running from it to the TiVo mini. This all assumes you have fast WiFi in your house (g or n).

And the Roamio box has built in WiFi so it doesn't require a wired ethernet port either.

I am considering doing the pre-order for a tablo dvr. I don't need it and it could be junk. If it was $100 I would have already ordered it. Its $231 shipped, with a year of guide data thrown in. I'd want to experiment with something before I committed to cutting the cord.

For TIVO, if you don't buy your box from TIVO, word is the code PLSR cuts $100 off lifetime. Which is still expensive IMHO.

I am considering doing the pre-order for a tablo dvr. I don't need it and it could be junk. If it was $100 I would have already ordered it. Its $231 shipped, with a year of guide data thrown in. I'd want to experiment with something before I committed to cutting the cord.

For TIVO, if you don't buy your box from TIVO, word is the code PLSR cuts $100 off lifetime. Which is still expensive IMHO.

This looks interesting. This lets you schedule recording for OTA channels only, correct?

Back
Top Bottom