Rescue animals???

Here are my latest rescue projects--three Border Collie mix puppies from a kill shelter in Georgia. They are tons of fun! I love fostering puppies because they always go fast (before DH gets too attached) and it is nice to give the little ones a good start in life.

As my fellow rescuers on the board know, this is very rewarding work for those with volunteering tendencies who love animals but can't commit to a permanent pet. Fosterers are always needed--not only for breed rescues like ours, but even the local shelters. Love me some puppies--just not at 3 am when they want to go outside!

Attachments

• Puppies.jpg
    Puppies.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Puppies2.jpg
    Puppies2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 3
Your fosters look so comfy. Thank you for giving them a lovely start in life. They'll be well socialized by the time they get adopted into their forever homes!

I fostered then ended up getting attached and adopted. Happy ending either way, right?! I knew I was going to keep my foster when I started taking him shopping for doggie parkas for the winter and it was only April. The thought of not having him around so we'd know for sure he is well taken care of is just too much to bear. The poor thing had a hard life before he was rescued. He was afraid of all noises, hiding under the bed, whimpering. He now makes himself at home on my lap or curls up around my head in the back of my arm chair, like a kitty. He's a DOG (that's him in my avatar!).

Oh, Retire, we know all about "failed fosters"! There are two of those in my house right now among the permanent residents! Georgia was so extremely crazy when we got her as a foster, there was just no way I could see her adapting to yet another new home. My first foster was a failure, my beloved Anna-banana, a red/white Border Collie we had for 5 short years.

Failed fosters are the best kind! DH and I have fostered upwards of 50 animals, both dogs and cats, since we built our house in 2003. It is a lot of work, but also a lot of fun!

OM gosh, Sarah...who could kill those sweet little faces on those puppies!!!!

Thanks, our animal friends need homes and love. I have 3 rescue dogs, 3 rescue cats, and a rescued African Spurred tortoise.

One cat Ollie Mae, lived with an elderly woman. In less than a month, the women was to be removed from her home. But her home burned to the ground, and the woman died. A Granddaughter took OM, but she was beat up and was nearly vegetative. So OM needed a good home, and here she still is.

We are so blessed, I truly believe our abundance is a result of of kindness to others.

I have one of those "failed fosters" too Sarah...all black kitty who never showed well. Hmmm...why didn't anyone want to adopt the portly all black cat who cowered in the back of the cage hissing and swatting at people? Why would they go for the cute, purring 8 week old kittens in the very next cage?

In any event, she's been with us for about 5 years now and is a part of our household. We love her.

DW is allergic to most dogs, so she searched for a poodle on petfinders.com. After months of looking around, she came upon "Ellie Mae." She was with a dachshund rescue group in a town near ours. Ellie is white, about 8 years old, has just one eye, and had some adjustment issues when we got her. We suspect she was a breeder dog at a puppy mill. She's turned out to be a wonderful pet. Picture to follow.

We're big fans of dog shelters and rescue groups.

The domestication of dogs is one of the great accomplishments of our species. And I'm not sure that the dogs shouldn't get most of the credit.

My wife and I are active in a sheltie rescue group and have fostered over 30 dogs (minimum of 2 weeks) over the last 5 years, the good news is we've been able to give up all but 2 during that time. We've had a quite a few that came to us in very bad condition that were finally able to be adopted, the longest foster was for nearly a year. The most unusual was a blind and deaf year old sheltie that we almost decided to adopt ourselves. She was adopted by a young couple a year or so ago and we get regular updates, she's doing great and the new owners have done an amazing job of getting her settled- she may have just a bit of hearing in one ear but vibration seems to be the thing she reacts to the most.

We hear the horror stories too and sympathize with many people that work in kill shelters and that really do try to make a difference for as many animals as they can. Having to euthanize animals would be more than I could handle, even when done humanely.

Some good news: In yesterday's election Missouri voters approved a ballot initiative that establishes some minimum standards for large-scale dog breeders. Missouri is the "puppy mill" center of the US, and voters there have had enough. It surely won't put an end to them, but it's a step in the right direction.

Prop B amends Missouri law to require large-scale dog breeding operations to provide each dog under their care with sufficient food, clean water, housing and space; necessary veterinary care; regular exercise; and adequate rest between breeding cycles. The measure also prohibits any breeder from having more than 50 breeding dogs for the purpose of selling their puppies as pets and creates a misdemeanor crime of “puppy mill cruelty” for any violations.

More info here.

Some good news: In yesterday's election Missouri voters approved a ballot initiative that establishes some minimum standards for large-scale dog breeders. Missouri is the "puppy mill" center of the US, and voters there have had enough. It surely won't put an end to them, but it's a step in the right direction.

More info here.

Good news indeed. I've seen many puppy mill dogs. Heartbreaking:'(

Back
Top Bottom