RIP - Erin Moran

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Sad news. Erin Moran, famously known as Joanie from "Happy Days" and "Joanie Loves Chachi" dead at 56.

Moran was found by Harrison County dispatch officers in Indiana responding to an "unresponsive female" report. Upon arriving at the scene, officers identified Moran and she pronounced dead at the scene, a Harrison County Sheriff official confirmed.
Erin Moran Dead: 'Happy Days' Star Dies at 56 | Hollywood Reporter

Wow that's sad and she was young. RIP Erin.

Interesting that Henry Winkler has already tweeted his sentiments which are shown at the bottom of the article.

Over the years I remember reading of what seemed to be a very unhappy person. Another Hollywood cast off. Forgotten and desperately seeking to re-enter the limelight.

I can't help but think how was it she went from child star to losing her home, broke and now in the trailer park.

All too sad.

Last edited:
Is it a case of money being managed unwisely?

I would certainly assume that played a part in it, but I would guess there was also an element of mental illness (depression?) and probably some substance abuse at work here, as well. Her story over the last 5-10 years would seem to indicate her life was plagued by these demons.

I would certainly assume that played a part in it, but I would guess there was also an element of mental illness (depression?) and probably some substance abuse at work here, as well. Her story over the last 5-10 years would seem to indicate her life was plagued by these demons.

My first thought is the curse of the child actor/actress no able to find parts after the show is over. Not saying there weren't other elements but that is a common theme, like all the kid actors on "Different Strokes" that got in trouble one way or another and ended tragically for two of them.

RIP.

I suspect the old expression "Too much, too soon" is a major factor in many such cases.

My first thought is the curse of the child actor/actress no able to find parts after the show is over. Not saying there weren't other elements but that is a common theme, like all the kid actors on "Different Strokes" that got in trouble one way or another and ended tragically for two of them.

Two of the three actors from Diff'rent Strokes suffered from substance abuse issues (Todd Bridges and Dana Plato), and Gary Coleman had major medical issues his entire life stemming from his congenital chronic kidney disease. Not being able to find parts after the show ended certainly played a role, to some degree, in each of their lives, but it seems like there were larger factors at work for each of them.

I suspect the old expression "Too much, too soon" is a major factor in many such cases.

I think we tend to focus on the tragic, sensational cases (like Erin Moran) and overlook the far more prevalent cases of child actors who go on to have pretty normal, successful lives. For every star-crossed Diff'rent Strokes cast of kids, there are numerous other shows where not a single child actor went on to have a miserable or tragic adulthood. For example, I don't think any of the girls who starred in The Facts of Life had any major, newsworthy troubles later in life. Same with the child actors from Full House, The Wonder Years, Family Ties, and many others.

Here's a good article about does entertainment industry and former child stars.

If you are like me, you have probably wondered why so many former child television, movie, and music stars have ended up addicted to drugs and alcohol, and just in general are living lives marked by excessive levels of melodrama and notoriety.

From Judy Garland in Hollywood’s Golden Age to contemporary figures such as Michael Jackson, Macaulay Culkin, Britney Spears, and Lindsay Lohan, there are innumerable case histories of individuals who found success on the stage, screen, and in the recording studio at tender ages only to be plagued by bouts with substance abuse and mental and emotional breakdown as they advanced into adulthood.
The ariticle's conclusion:

Celebrity itself is not to blame for the problem behavior of famous people, but the fact that so many seek fame with such hunger and desperation, as if it were the only thing that mattered, is a sign of deep-seated psychological and emotional immaturity. Child stars all too often are the victims of such misguided ambitions, rooted in the subconscious of their caregivers, and this is why it is hardly surprising that so many eventually fall into the greedy, grasping clutches of drugs and alcohol.
Has the Entertainment Industry Ruined Child Star Lives?

Last edited:
I think we tend to focus on the tragic, sensational cases (like Erin Moran) and overlook the far more prevalent cases of child actors who go on to have pretty normal, successful lives. .

As I recall, Opie Taylor did pretty well for himself.

I think we tend to focus on the tragic, sensational cases (like Erin Moran) and overlook the far more prevalent cases of child actors who go on to have pretty normal, successful lives. For every star-crossed Diff'rent Strokes cast of kids, there are numerous other shows where not a single child actor went on to have a miserable or tragic adulthood. For example, I don't think any of the girls who starred in The Facts of Life had any major, newsworthy troubles later in life. Same with the child actors from Full House, The Wonder Years, Family Ties, and many others.

Agreed...that's why I included the qualifier "many such cases".

I remember reading awhile ago that she was very bitter about Happy Days and refused to take part in reunions, etc. I don't recall the reason why.

She's been in reunions. In the last one I remember when the cast was asked whether everyone got along she jumped right in to say yes. There was a rumor that Henry Winkler made unwanted advances toward her. If any cast member other than her said everyone got along it wouldn't be as believable. Winkler even tried to get her work not long ago but it didn't work out. Many of the cast spoke to her but they couldn't help.

Two of the three actors from Diff'rent Strokes suffered from substance abuse issues (Todd Bridges and Dana Plato), and Gary Coleman had major medical issues his entire life stemming from his congenital chronic kidney disease.

Gary Coleman's parents also ripped him off to the tune of millions. He ended up suing them. He's not the only child actor who had parents steal their money.

Two of the three actors from Diff'rent Strokes suffered from substance abuse issues (Todd Bridges and Dana Plato), and Gary Coleman had major medical issues his entire life stemming from his congenital chronic kidney disease. Not being able to find parts after the show ended certainly played a role, to some degree, in each of their lives, but it seems like there were larger factors at work for each of them.

From Full House: Olsen Twins, while being incredibly wealthy from their movies and clothes have notorious drug problems and was one of the Olsen twins who found Heath Ledger dead because she had been taking drugs with him, Inside Mary-Kate & Heath's Relationship

Jodie Swetin of full house was a meth addict who wrote a book about her problems and has been “saved” by the reboot on NetflixFuller House Star Jodie Sweetin Talks About Life After Addiction

Candace Cameron wrote a book about her years of eating disorders after Full House as a result of trying to cope to life after Full House

Brian Bosell the younger sibling on Family Ties beat up his girlfriend and has been arrested for assault and drunken rages From Cute to Convict: 'Family Ties' Star Now - ABC News
Justin Bateman on family ties admitted to suffering from Bulimia and anorexia calling it hitting rock bottom in 1996
Justine Bateman: Anorexic, Bulimic, Overeater in Recovery | Addiction Treatment Blog by Addiction Experts

You don't often hear about childhood actors who made lots of money when they were young and proceeded to live an LBYM lifestyle while investing their childhood earnings and setting themselves up for a nice easy retirement. I'm sure a few of these exist, but when is the last time you read a story about one of them?

You don't often hear about childhood actors who made lots of money when they were young and proceeded to live an LBYM lifestyle while investing their childhood earnings and setting themselves up for a nice easy retirement. I'm sure a few of these exist, but when is the last time you read a story about one of them?

There must be a lot of successes along with the failures.

Jerry Mathers (the Beaver) comes to mind.

I have known for years that Danica McKellar (Winnie from Wonder Years) is some math genius. She and Fred Savage (Kevin) have had successful careers in acting and continue to act. Savage has also had a good career as a director.

The same could be said about the general population :facepalm:

Let's face it, there are a LOT of people not wired to save and plan. Child stars, and the parents, are no exception.

Back
Top Bottom