Screen Formatting Problems?

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Joined
Feb 20, 2006
Messages
11,374
Location
Washington, DC
Over the last couple of days I have noticed several threads that don't format to the screen properly. They start out OK and then entries spread out too far horizontally and require scrolling to read. Are there any technical changes that could account for this? Anyone else experiencing the problem. I am using Firefox.
 
It isn't you, or FF, it is people who paste in links (or pics) that are so long they force the page width to be beyond your screen size.

I know there is forum S/W that can fix it on their side, not sure if there is a local patch you can do client-side that will fix it.
 
As DRiP Guy said, large photos and long links are the usual culprit, but today I found using the code tag instead of the quote tag can cause the same problem. Theses push the right margin off the right side of the page and the regular text flows out that far, too.

When I run across these I usually edit the link and shorten.

A while back I looked in to automatic fixes...either there wasn't such a patch available for this software or there were maintenance issues with it.

Andy R plans to migrate the board to vBulletin which handles the link problem automatically. Last I heard the conversion will happen between now and the end of May.
 
For long URL's, I suggest using www.tinyurl.com

For those of you who are unfamiliar, you simply go to www.tinyurl.com and enter your long URL in the box. It returns a much smaller URL that you then paste in your message.
 
Or there is a really cool technique that I've now forgotten to actually make your text a hyper link. Nords explained it once.
 
Sheryl said:
Or there is a really cool technique that I've now forgotten to actually make your text a hyper link. Nords explained it once.
Eh, made me look: here it is.

The old text has become garbled by the software's attempt to read the formatting commands, but the basic idea is to click on the "Insert Hyperlink" icon (the globe third from the bottom left in the "Add BBC tags"). One of the tags generated by that icon will be the acronym "url" between brackets. Add an "equals" sign after the "l" in "url" and cut & paste your desired URL after the equals sign. Make sure there aren't any leftover spaces or line breaks between the brackets (IE does this sometimes).

The result looks ugly but the link will be inside the brackets and won't show when the post is displayed. To see an example, select the "Quote" button on this message and look at the URL formatting around the phrase "here it is"...
 
BigMoneyJim said:
Last I heard the conversion will happen between now and the end of May.

I notice that you cleverly dont mention May of which year... ;)

Get a bigger screen! A 32"er takes the longer lines just fine :)
 
Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Get a bigger screen! A 32"er takes the longer lines just fine :)

[insert Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor 'arr, arr, arr' man-grunt WAV file here]

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
 
gindie said:
For long URL's, I suggest using www.tinyurl.com

For those of you who are unfamiliar, you simply go to www.tinyurl.com and enter your long URL in the box. It returns a much smaller URL that you then paste in your message.

tinyurl is great. If you are using FireFox as your browser, it is super easy to create a tinyurl. Just load this extension:

http://mozmonkey.com/tinyurl/

And then you can just right-click (or Control-click on a Mac if you are not already using a 3-button mouse) on the page and select 'Create TinyUrl for this Page'. The 'tinyurl' wil now be in your clipboard, just hit 'paste' to add it anywhere you want.

Super-handy.

-ERD50
 
Nords said:
Eh, made me look: here it is.

The old text has become garbled by the software's attempt to read the formatting commands, but the basic idea is to click on the "Insert Hyperlink" icon (the globe third from the bottom left in the "Add BBC tags"). One of the tags generated by that icon will be the acronym "url" between brackets. Add an "equals" sign after the "l" in "url" and cut & paste your desired URL after the equals sign. Make sure there aren't any leftover spaces or line breaks between the brackets (IE does this sometimes).

The result looks ugly but the link will be inside the brackets and won't show when the post is displayed. To see an example, select the "Quote" button on this message and look at the URL formatting around the phrase "here it is"...

Yeah! That was it! Thanks.
 
jasdhflahsdflkjashdflkjashflkajhflkjahdflkjadhflkajsdhflakjsdhflkajdhflkasdjhflkadsjhflaksdjhflakjdhflaksdjhflasdjhflkasdjhflakjsdfhlakdsjfhlaksdjhflkadsjfhlkasjdhflkasjdhflkasjdhflkasdjhflaksdjhflkasdjhflaksdjhflkasdjfhklasjdhf,
for example.
 
Back
Top Bottom