Search

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
A forum doesn't become popular only because of the information it contains, but because we enjoy the interaction and sharing out thoughts and experiences.

By any measure, Early-Retirement. org has to be successful. 56 thousand threads, 1.2 million posts and 28 thousand members.

Driven by questions and common interest subjects, new posts always prompt response... often on subjects and duplicated in earlier threads. This keeps the life in the forum.... and we see that, and it is good.

Many newcomers, (and those of us who haven't read all 1+ million posts) come up with questions, for which we really need answers, which may be technical or need extensive explanation... which have been hashed through... thoroughly.

Our moderators have been excellent using a hands off approach but gently pointing some new posts towards earlier discussions. (lots of tact here):)

Mea Culpa... I'm guilty of starting new posts on subjects that have been explored to death...

So... when a question comes to mind, where I need real answers, I resolve to use the search function, to try avoiding the re-invention of the wheel.
Could be a help to newbies, too...

Attachments

• Search.jpg
    Search.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 22
I've been on this site for over 8 years and i've never been able to figure out how to find anything with the search function. I'm sure it's useful for those who can figure it out but i'm not one of them.

The search here is pretty good, imho. But I do occasionally need to search for a phrase or something more complicated, and I use the "site" function in google:

Code:
"definition of net worth" site:early-retirement.org

I have tried using the search before and I do not have much luck either. Not sure what I do wrong. It seems like some members don't have a problem using it.

I have better results by combining two or more words in the forum advanced search function (here). In the previous example, I would use "net+worth+definition".

Searching only post titles helps when looking for specific subjects, but omits many helpful threads.

I've been on this site for over 8 years and i've never been able to figure out how to find anything with the search function. I'm sure it's useful for those who can figure it out but i'm not one of them.

Move over a bit please Aaron and make room for me to join you in "the dunce hat corner".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you search to see if search has been a topic already?

Exactly... Search... then advanced search... then keyword(s)... and then change from all posts to Titles...

Some examples to try...
Detroit
Mortgage
Vaccine
Moving

A bonus from doing this kind of search, and then adding to an existing thread, is to benefit from more opinions, and to see how and if opinions have changed.

On the other hand... if you had already been on the older thread, you can begin a new one on the same subject, and look very bright. :dance:

Michael's suggestion about using multiple words does work, and helps getting to the specifics.

Last edited:
I like to use google search. For young kids' topics under the dreamer, I do the following -

Code:
 elementary school kids site:www.early-retirement.org/forums/f30/

Last edited:
I use the Google search box shown below for most of my searches.

If you don't see it near the top of your page, you may be using a forum "skin" other than v2.0. You can change the appearance of your forum pages by going to User CP > Edit Options > Miscellaneous Options > Forum Skins.

Note: Be sure to save your changes at the bottom of the page.

Attachments

• E-R search box.JPG
    E-R search box.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom