Share Your FIRE Milestones - 2021

Thanks but how many years?

1. If you find a good fixed income investment that pay 5% a year compounded, and commit that money to it, in about 10 years.

2. If you go 100% in stocks and get an average annual return of (what most folks say) 7%, about 8 years.

3. If stocks do the past historical about 10% per year (which many do not believe may happen), about 6 years.

This does not include whatever you are adding to your portfolio annually. That factor might shorten the time. It took me about 6 years to got from your level to a million adding to my portfolio. That timespan included the great recession of 2008-2009.

Of course, with the latter two, it is not a smooth yearly advance :).

1. If you find a good fixed income investment that pay 5% a year compounded, and commit that money to it, in about 10 years.

2. If you go 100% in stocks and get an average annual return of (what most folks say) 7%, about 8 years.

3. If stocks do the past historical about 10% per year (which many do not believe may happen), about 6 years.

This does not include whatever you are adding to your portfolio annually. That factor might shorten the time. It took me about 6 years to got from your level to a million adding to my portfolio. That timespan included the great recession of 2008-2009.

Of course, with the latter two, it is not a smooth yearly advance :).

I will be investing about $45k a year (401k plus 6% match, Roth IRA and taxable account).

Yesterday we finally hit our number which gives us 100% success in FireCalc.

My honey enters 2024 as a OMY guy.. he wants to finish out his contract which goes to October and then we will travel. We shall see if he entertains a contract in 2025.

I humbly suggest no OMY.

Time > $

I wanted to post the cartoon for this but couldn't find it.

I humbly suggest no OMY.

Time > $

I wanted to post the cartoon for this but couldn't find it.

Except for once its not about the money, he landed a contract gig working with the new AI and he wants to learn as much as possible to use for his passion project going forward. He gets access to the latest tech, full support to answer any questions, and gets paid to do it. The contract has a hard stop next October and he can't be rehired for at least 6 months. We are still in our early 50s so OMY isn't a deal breaker for me and with 6 months off will give time to figure out what he wants to do next.. he hasn't got the what do I want to do in retirement figure out.

Although I have been above $1M total since 2010, I didn't get to the $1M mark in my taxable portion until March, 2021. Just over a year later, I fell below $1M in the taxable portion. But this week, I finally broke through the $1M mark again. :dance:

Although I have been above $1M total since 2010, I didn't get to the $1M mark in my taxable portion until March, 2021. Just over a year later, I fell below $1M in the taxable portion. But this week, I finally broke through the $1M mark again. :dance:

Very nice!

Celebrating here since I only share our finances with my wife.
$4M+ in assets
$3M+ in networth
$2M+ in investments
$1M+ in mortgages ($800k rental real estate)
$0M+ in credit card debt (paid monthly)
I've got 25 quarters to go before calling it quits at 55.

Celebrating here since I only share our finances with my wife.
$4M+ in assets
$3M+ in networth
$2M+ in investments
$1M+ in mortgages ($800k rental real estate)
$0M+ in credit card debt (paid monthly)
I've got 25 quarters to go before calling it quits at 55.

Very nice! You should set that to music and get a partridge in a pear tree!

I am on track to make approximately $320,000 in dividend/interest income this year. Up approximately $60,000 from previous year. Snowball effect is in high gear.

Well one get it from 4.3M of FLHY, 6.2M of PM, 21M of VTI or 100s and 100s of M in NVDA. Vastly different porfolios.

Last edited:
Lately I've been hovering around the $1M investable assets milestone, depending on the day; first day was 11/30. About $550k in my TSP and $450k in my Vanguard acct. Plus about $123k in home equity.

Plus pension, then eventually SS. The pension will get a 50% boost in 5 years. Plus subsidized healthcare for life. A lot of people thought I made a bad decision when I went to work as a Fed and not for one of the dot.com companies that went bust soon after. :LOL:

I left my parent's home 30 years ago this past summer. As the cigarette commercial used to say, I've come a long way baby!

The recent run up in equity markets has provided so really nice milestones for NW achievement and asset growth. My securities portfolio (75% equities) gained somewhat over $500K YTD, putting me close to my total goal. Another decent year would put me over the finish line, which I'm excited about, though not a necessary condition to FIRE, so not gonna let that get in the way.

The other cool milestone is that with the recent inflation adjustment in social security, in a few years my SS FRA benefit + DW's spousal adjustment + small pension would give us ~$90K in [extremely reliable, substantially COLA'd] annual benefits. That is a not insignificant paycheck though yes, I know by the time I can collect on it, the gubment will have figured out some clever ways to penalize me for being too lucky. But, today, I will celebrate.

Last edited:
$718k NW.

Hoping to be a millionaire before I turn 50.

How much would I need to invest to achieve that in the stock portfolio?

Hit $1.25M total investments last month, just crossed $1.3M yesterday. We are no longer contributing.

NW is flirting with $1.5M (Investments and home equity).

We are already FIREd and living on pensions at 55.

Portfolio up $708k this year including $175k of contributions. All while working part time from the comfort of my home office with my feet on the desk!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom