Share Your FIRE Milestones - 2021

Based on how much I need to invest per year?

I was basing it on what you said you already had. I have considerably less assets than you and Fidelity says I earned 75k in the last 12 months and they project 85k in the next 12 months. Time will tell.

I would imagine everyone here has witnessed a milestone as of late. I always enjoy and get very excited when I read about the progress in this thread.

Today I looked back and I think I might have hit a milestone lately. Since I ERed 7.5 years ago my portfolio has grown to 2.25 million more than what I started with. This is portfolio monies not NW. Of course, this as of today next year it could be zero dollars.

I never would have dreamed in a million years this could have happened to us.

Humble brag alert. Last week our investable assets crossed 2 million.
I told my wife we longer need to clip coupons! This was a major psychological milestone for me. With a teacher's pension and 1 million in investments I knew that we were probably just fine to retire early. With 2 million, we are beyond comfortably well off. We celebrated at home with a nice bottle of champagne.

Congrats. What's your age level. I guess you and wife and retire now.

$718k NW.

Hoping to be a millionaire before I turn 50.

How much would I need to invest to achieve that in the stock portfolio?

Depends really. But with 5 yrs of runway, you could realistically double your net worth depending on how hard you hustle

$718k NW.

Hoping to be a millionaire before I turn 50.

How much would I need to invest to achieve that in the stock portfolio?

Looking back at my own records, I popped the $700K barrier in March of 2012, which would be in rough range of your $718K figure. By February of 2015, I had broken the $1M barrier. However, I didn't stay permanently (so far at least) above the $1M barrier, until April of 2016.

It's hard to really pinpoint a precise number on how much you need to invest, because there's just too many variables. How the market does, what you're invested in, and so on.

In my case, I can't tell you how much additional money I put in for that March 2012-Feb 2015 period, but the data I do have is:
2012 (whole year): $28,723
2013: -$17,811. For some reason, I cashed out more than I added that year. Can't remember why, but I might have been trying to pay down on an HELOC.
2014: $35,570.

So, if I was to take a wild guess, I'd say I put in an additional $45-50K during that timeframe.

Of course, as the old saying goes, "YMMV", "Past Performance is No Guarantee of Future Results", "Yadda-yadda-yadda."

Looking back at my own records, I popped the $700K barrier in March of 2012, which would be in rough range of your $718K figure. By February of 2015, I had broken the $1M barrier. However, I didn't stay permanently (so far at least) above the $1M barrier, until April of 2016.

It's hard to really pinpoint a precise number on how much you need to invest, because there's just too many variables. How the market does, what you're invested in, and so on.

In my case, I can't tell you how much additional money I put in for that March 2012-Feb 2015 period, but the data I do have is:
2013: -$17,811. For some reason, I cashed out more than I added that year. Can't remember why, but I might have been trying to pay down on an HELOC.

So, if I was to take a wild guess, I'd say I put in an additional $45-50K during that timeframe.

Of course, as the old saying goes, "YMMV", "Past Performance is No Guarantee of Future Results", "Yadda-yadda-yadda."

I plan to put in around $45 a year.

You have to remember that you were invested in the longest bull run in history
(11 years). The future may not replicate the past.

During the summer I called my main brokerage for some reason and the rep ID'd herself as a member of the "High Net Worth" group. I thought, "Well, that's cool." After completing the sale of a biz this year I called the brokerage and the rep ID'd herself as a member of the "Ultra High Net Worth" group. I thought, "Well, that's cool." I immediately wondered if there's even a higher-tier group at this brokerage, for example, the "Obscenely Rich" group. Well, I'll never know - I gotta pay taxes on the biz sale soon: call me poor. :D The brokerage doesn't seem to differentiate between assets held in my own name and assets I manage for others, which also might explain why I found myself dealing with the UHNW group.

Anyway, this brokerage recently invited me to a one-day investment seminar at a five-star resort. Would they allow me to drive my 10-year-old Camry into the resort? :) I assume that I would be offered the "opportunity" to invest in some funky alternative stuff that I know nothing about. It might be fun to hob-knob with the 0.1% until I'm kicked out of the brokerage's UHNW group due to taxes. :popcorn:

Just hit 11M in investable assets. Very little in market. I guess that may mean I have almost 11M in savings. Been a long ride and am getting tired of trying to get ahead. There are worst hobbies. Thanks for all of the advice along the way. Happy Holidays

Just hit 11M in investable assets. Very little in market. I guess that may mean I have almost 11M in savings. Been a long ride and am getting tired of trying to get ahead. There are worst hobbies. Thanks for all of the advice along the way. Happy Holidays

Wow, congratulations! :dance:

That is very, very impressive.

You have done a great job. That doesn't happen by accident.

Congrats pletal! This recent market run-up has given me a milestone similar to yours, though a big chunk of my assets are in r.e., so a very different animal. It had been a goal of mine to hit 8-figures, nice ring to it, though really nothing is going to change in my plans. Now that I'm there, seems not quite real - and in truth peak valuations aren't entirely to be trusted. But, certainly, its providing more confidence about FIRE-ing.

Anyhow, I can appreciate the incredible flexibility that all-investible must give you. That's truly extraordinary. You've won the jackpot!

Great job. Something to be very proud of. I'm betting it wasn't just luck that got you to this point.

Hurray! After my weekly routine of updating all our accounts, I see that our net worth has crossed the 1.2m threshold (approximately 700k of that is investible assets).

I like to pause, recognize, and celebrate each 100k milestone with a little dance. :dance:

That's huge! Hoping to get to 8 figures before too long.

What are they in?

Back
Top Bottom