Shook Hands with John Edwards This noon...............

bpp said:
I know. Not very "executive" of him. Maybe the word I want for Clinton is "spineless." The more I think about him... about the only good thing I can say about Clinton is that he had so little backbone that he never really did very much. Which is better than actively causing damage, and seems to have been just what the economy needed at the time anyway.

He gave great TV, and was no airhead. But his promises were worthless.

WOW... could not have said it better...

But, from a conservative guy (that is getting VERY pissed at the Republicans who spend like drunken sailors, and with Bush not doing the war right etc. etc. etc.... sorry, rant)... I think Clinton COULD have been one of the best dems in a long time.. he is very smart and can read what people want.. but, no spine to get what he wants...

It was funny seeing the Republicans hate his so much (I know I did)... but they kept trying to get him... almost like the dems when they kept going after Ronald Regan... he was a lot smarter than they would admit..

To tell the truth.. I would love to have the Republicans keep congress and a dem get elected president... nice gridlock with HOPEFULLY the spending going down... what happened to that balance budget they promised:confused:??

CyclingInvestor said:
Edwards will always be a "bad-science" trial lawyer to me. His entire (legal) career
is offensive. While I do not expect politicians to have much in the way of
ethics (any that do are usually not electable), he sets a deplorable standard.

I don't understand this comment.  Laws are written by the various legislative bodies.  Trials are held before a judge.  The judge decides questions of law, and the judge or a jury decides questions of fact.  One of a lawyer's most basic ethical obligations is to represent his or her client's interests as vigorously as possible.  Appeals are available to guard against mistakes.  In this system, Edwards was a very successful lawyer.   What, exactly, are you accusing him of having done? 

highpointdawg said:
If all I had to do is meet John Edwards after I retire I think I would just keep working!!!
I guess I don't get out enough..still it beats working :D

Well jeff,

I just wanted to test Edwards here and see how many negative comments we could get about him from the GOP spin machine. He sounds like the perfect candidate to me! 8).

The GOP would love to see Hillary as the nominee, because they know she can't win! But Edwards can win and they know it!

Today, we have a spoiled rich kid as President that failed at every business he attempted. He has put this country in world disgrace, increased our enemies, and has created an economic disaster. John Edwards is the polar opposite. And the polar opposite is exactly what this country needs right now.

As far as Clinton being a do nothing president, I guess the posters that commented were just tired of 8 years of peace and prosperity.

Cut-Throat said:
Yeah, he's an airhead in the same vein as John F. Kennedy and Bill Clinton.

Does he believe in cutting marginal tax rates a la Kennedy?  An inconvenient truth for libs is the last round of marginal cuts by Bush resulted in a net gain in government revenues.

markplus4 said:
Does he believe in cutting marginal tax rates a la Kennedy? An inconvenient truth for libs is the last round of marginal cuts by Bush resulted in a net gain in government revenues.
I have no problem with tax cuts by anyone, believe it grows the economy and increases taxes, I just wish most of the cuts were on the lower end - like increasing the 10% & 15% ranges....

Cut-Throat said:
As far as Clinton being a do nothing president, I guess the posters that commented were just tired of 8 years of peace and prosperity.

Its funny to see Clinton being painted as a "do-nothing" President.  I actually think he got a lot more done than Bush could ever hope to do (aside from starting a disastrous series of wars).  I didn't always like the things that Clinton did, but I thought he was a canny politician that was able to horse trade, bargain and work with the other side to make reasonable choices and get things done.  He has been accused of trying to be "all things to all people" and therefore wishywashy, but that what a centrist politician interested in sorting things out ha to do, particularly when they don't have both houses of congress in their back pocket.

He appears to have had the personal morals of an alleycat, but I never much cared what any adult did with their private lives.  Hey, never mind Edwards, Ronmey, et al: get Bill Clinton to run again!

markplus4 said:
An inconvenient truth for libs is the last round of marginal cuts by Bush resulted in a net gain in government revenues.

This logical fallacy is called "post hoc, ergo propter hoc."  Cons suffer from it all the time   ;)

markplus4 said:
Does he believe in cutting marginal tax rates a la Kennedy?  An inconvenient truth for libs is the last round of marginal cuts by Bush resulted in a net gain in government revenues.

The problem is that we have been slashing taxes and still spending money to beat the band. The gaping fiscal deficit is already putting pressure on rates and the USD. We have been given a reprieve because Asian central banks have seen fit to prop up the USD and lend us money, but that won't go on forever. There are a lot of economic and political presssures on the Chinese to let their currency appreciate. Given China's apetite for raw materials (coal, oil, steel, etc.), what do you think the inflationary outlook will be if the Chines allow the Yuan to strengthen 50% vs. the USD? It won't be pretty. We should be cleaning up our fiscal mess and, if necessary, raise taxes. It is stupid to politicize this stuff.

Cut-Throat said:
...were just tired of 8 years of peace and prosperity.
Lest we forget:

You're welcome, from all the military who were killed or injured during SOUTHERN WATCH, Mogadishu, Kosovo, and all the other "peaceful & prosperous" deployments.

Nords said:
Lest we forget:

You're welcome, from all the military who were killed or injured during SOUTHERN WATCH, Mogadishu, Kosovo, and all the other "peaceful & prosperous" deployments.

Without taking away from the sacrifices of those involved, those engagements (many of which were stupid and unnecessary) were orders of magnitude smaller than the quagmires we find ourselves in today. No President comes out with his hands entirely clean; this is unfortnately all relative.

Carolyn said:
He did ABSOLUTELY nothing for this state when he was senator.  cpc

So, how's Eliz. Dole doing for you guys as Senator. She strikes me as rather self-posturing and smarmingly, saccharinely obsequious.

Cut-Throat said:
Today, we have a spoiled rich kid as President that failed at every business he attempted. He has put this country in world disgrace, increased our enemies, and has created an economic disaster. John Edwards is the polar opposite. And the polar opposite is exactly what this country needs right now.

1. I suppose turning a $600K investment into $14,900,000 would qualify as a "failure" in your book ;)

2. Since he is such as "spoiled rich kid" perhaps you can tell us the successful business ventures started by JFK, or FDR or were they "spoiled rich kids too?"

3. Surely GWB can aspire one day to have the business savy of a Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton?

Also, do you really think it took W to make Muslims hate the US? I suppose the embassy bombings, 1996 WTC bombings, Beirut kidnappings, and Marine Barrack bombings were just love taps from our devout little friends?

saluki9 said:
1. I suppose turning a $600K investment into $14,900,000 would qualify as a "failure" in your book  ;)
Heck, Hilary did better than that in commodities!

Nords said:
Heck, Hilary did better than that in commodities!
if we had friends in high places we could be retired by now...wait I am retired...

saluki9 said:
Also, do you really think it took W to make Muslims hate the US?  I suppose the embassy bombings, 1996 WTC bombings, Beirut kidnappings, and Marine Barrack bombings were just love taps from our devout little friends? 

There have always been people who hate us (of various faiths, I might add).  But it takes a specal "talent" to get all of the various warring factions that normally expend most of that negative energy squabbling with each other to turn as if one and concentrate on us.

brewer12345 said:
But it takes a specal "talent" to get all of the various warring factions that normally expend most of that negative energy squabbling with each other to turn as if one and concentrate on us.
So, we really are bringing about world unity?

brewer12345 said:
There have always been people who hate us (of various faiths, I might add). But it takes a specal "talent" to get all of the various warring factions that normally expend most of that negative energy squabbling with each other to turn as if one and concentrate on us.

OK, so the first major act of Islamic terror directly effecting only Americans would be what?

The US embassy takeover? Does this mean I get to blame Islamic terror on Jimmy Carter?

BTW: Brewer, I wouldn't buy into this self loathing PC crap that just calls them terrorists. Refer to them for what they are which is Muslim terrorists. Most of the media is too chicken to admist that Islam is responsible for these peoples actions and should be called on it. The supposed "Religion of peace" has done little to stop it's members from cutting people's heads off and blowing up trains, buses, and planes.

You can rest assured that if a Jew, Christian, or Buddhist were to kills innocents in the name of their faith that the outcry from their own people would be swift. All we hear from the Muslim community is excuses and rationalization

BTW: Brewer, I wouldn't buy into this self loathing PC crap that just calls them terrorists. Refer to them for what they are which is Muslim terrorists.

Remember Timothy McVeigh? He was one of you right wing-nuts.

saluki9 said:
You can rest assured that if a Jew, Christian, or Buddhist were to kills innocents in the name of their faith that the outcry from their own people would be swift.
Cut-Throat said:
You're gonna have to be more specific than that-- was he Jewish, Christian, or Buddhist?

And, hey, what's up with putting Buddhists in this category? If they took a life wouldn't their membership status be in jeopardy?

saluki9 said:
BTW: Brewer, I wouldn't buy into this self loathing PC crap that just calls them terrorists. Refer to them for what they are which is Muslim terrorists. Most of the media is too chicken to admist that Islam is responsible for these peoples actions and should be called on it. The supposed "Religion of peace" has done little to stop it's members from cutting people's heads off and blowing up trains, buses, and planes.

The IRA terrorists were Catholic.

The King David terrorists were Jewish.

The 9/11 terrorists were Muslim.

The 1993 terrorists in India were Hindi.

Those terrorists had wide support for their actions among their own faith.

saluki9 said:
BTW: Brewer, I wouldn't buy into this self loathing PC crap that just calls them terrorists.  Refer to them for what they are which is Muslim terrorists.  Most of the media is too chicken to admist that Islam is responsible for these peoples actions and should be called on it.  The supposed "Religion of peace" has done little to stop it's members from cutting people's heads off and blowing up trains, buses, and planes. 

You can rest assured that if a Jew, Christian, or Buddhist were to kills innocents in the name of their faith that the outcry from their own people would be swift.  All we hear from the Muslim community is excuses and rationalization

I'm gonna have to call "shenanigans" on this one. I think it is safe to say that I can point to dozens of abominable acts done in the name of almost any religion you care to name. I'd be REAL careful about painting all people of a particular faith with the "terrorist" brush.

Cut-Throat said:

Not quite me, but thank you for the name calling. Glad that SOB is where he belongs.

eridanus said:
The IRA terrorists were Catholic.

The King David terrorists were Jewish.

The 9/11 terrorists were Muslim.

The 1993 terrorists in India were Hindi.

Those terrorists had wide support for their actions among their own faith.

If I were to pick a Catholic off the street in NYC or Chicago and ask them " Do you think it was a good idea for the IRA to kill innocent civilians?' I would guess that probably 19 out of 20 would say no. (Just a guess)

You must not know a lot of Jews if you think that most people supported the King David hotel bombing.

Now, let's say you stopped a person on the street of Riyahd and ask them if it's ok to blow up a bus in Tel Aviv full of women and children

Care to guess what their response would be?

Back
Top Bottom