Single and post-FIRE: how's dating/relationships going for you?

Chemistry, etc. Haven't you ever had a date with someone, who checked all your boxes, but you just didn't feel any spark? You didn't click. Very simple.

I'm a Dirty Old Lady. I'd ponder whether I could see going to bed with the guy eventually and if there was zero potential in my mind, well, there was no chemistry. And it wasn't just looks, either. I can't be too picky in that department. I figured guys were entitled to make the same decisions about me in person. Sometimes it just isn't there even if both of you are perfectly nice people with good personal hygiene.

Re: the "click." My husband and I "clicked" even before we met in person. No internet back then; we spoke on the phone at work, and I was left thinking, "Wow, what a nice baritone speaking voice." He had a cheerful lift to his speech. None of that sarcasm or joshing BS, that some men affect when they speak to a woman.

When we met in person, we chatted along as if we'd always known each other. Bed wasn't on the menu at that point, or for quite a while after. We just liked being around each other.

Although I do not match the group that you asked the question to, I though I might offer a generic observation about four people I know personally in that situation who found a relationship.
They found an activity whose cost and level of physical activity kind of insured a prescreening. In this case the women and men were active, healthy, and had the means to do at least some of the activities at their own cost before meeting. All related to dancing. One couple found love on a dance cruise. Others met at a dance studio and were active taking classes together.

I suspect cruises and travel could also work along with cultural things of cost. Apparently Venice is charging a healthy tourist tax now to limit the crowd.

Obviously it does not work for everyone.

Note: I had sent this first privately to the thread poster since I was not in the group he requested to hear from and was invited to share it.

Introverted engineer, compensated with facade of outgoing, trained in household arts by grandmother after mother/sister killed. Endless layoffs and downsizing and a libertarian bent led to some quiet 30's and 40's. After final layoff in 08, it became untenable to describe my unconcern over paychecks as unemployment.

Once I escaped real estate and invested the proceeds, my FIRE situation became apparent, even to me. My frugal approach of cooking, cleaning, cars, money, budgeting, investing, gardening, biking, hockey, snowboarding never sold well. I'm not mr excitement.

I am invisible to women who like spending the proceeds of a hard-charger. But I have flexibility to be helpful when appliances and vehicles fail, meals need cooked at end of long day... I just have to stay within my sweet spot.

I walk dogs and contribute to potluck dinners while the men keep raising my odds with overwork, overspend, overdrink, overeat... To paraphrase Bezo's "their margin is my opportunity", their status is my advantage.

My primary limitation has been biochemical. My nose tells me subconsciously who to see again. My head tells me who to avoid. Internet dating is out. In rural new england, the intersection can be the empty set. But not that often.

In rural new england, the intersection can be the empty set. But not that often.
If I understand correctly, your meaning is that, in your experience of being single while also post-FIRE, most of the time you have some kind of relationship or dating happening, and once in a while you don't, yes? If so, that's pretty cool. For me, it's been the other way around!

DH and I met on Match in 2001 (before you admitted you met online) and have been happily married ever since. We were in our mid-40s.

I don’t think I’ve seen this mentioned - I’ve met many interesting people in Continuing Ed classes (history, folklore, philosophy, photography, painting, etc).

If someone is curious, loves learning and is regularly startled by wonder, they’re a 10 in my book.

If I understand correctly, your meaning is that, in your experience of being single while also post-FIRE, most of the time you have some kind of relationship or dating happening, and once in a while you don't, yes? If so, that's pretty cool. For me, it's been the other way around!

I need to be in my comfort zone first before I look and see who is around me. That generally means chasing away the too early, and ignoring the too late. Goldilocks timing required.

I need to be in my comfort zone first before I look and see who is around me. That generally means chasing away the too early, and ignoring the too late. Goldilocks timing required.
Cool. I'll take that as a yes.

DH and I met on Match in 2001 (before you admitted you met online) and have been happily married ever since. We were in our mid-40s.

I don’t think I’ve seen this mentioned - I’ve met many interesting people in Continuing Ed classes (history, folklore, philosophy, photography, painting, etc).

If someone is curious, loves learning and is regularly startled by wonder, they’re a 10 in my book.
+1 In the Florida state university system the classes are free to seniors. I don't recall what the minimum age is to be considered senior. I haven't used that benefit since the college from which I retired also allows me to take classes for free. Until the pandemic I had taken about 15 classes. The young students were fun to be around and we both enjoyed the friendship. Once things settle out and it is safe to come out of my cocoon I plan to start back up again. I already have a spouse but many of these young kids have single parents or grandparents.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Your question “how’s it going” hmm, hard to answer. Got divorced 9 years ago and I actually never even considered meeting anyone else because I feel I had aged out.
It’s interesting to read other’s posts.
Glad to see some people are meeting a special person at an older age.

Your question “how’s it going” hmm, hard to answer. Got divorced 9 years ago and I actually never even considered meeting anyone else because I feel I had aged out.
It’s interesting to read other’s posts.
Glad to see some people are meeting a special person at an older age.

I feel similarly. I don't think I qualify as old yet, at just 57, but "aged out" seems an apt descriptor. I feel lucky to have a close female friend (I'm a straight feller). We think of our friendship as that of "besties". We talk on the phone several times a day, and see each other for coffee and grocery shopping about once a week. Occasionally, we'll see a film or show together. We live about a mile apart. We've been friends for around 13 years, and know each other just about as well as it's possible for two people to know each other. We have put up with a lot of each other's shiznit over the years. To my mind, it's a lot of the benefits of a close relationship without the potential downsides. As for the physical stuff, that's just not much of a motivator for me at this point. I had an awful lot of fun getting that out of my system when younger.

Last edited:
Funny how things work. I thought I would be finished with women when I got divorced in my 50's. Who wants a balding, nerdy guy who looks more like a meek librarian rather than some macho dude who who commands every room he walks into? Turns out that I have the Big 5 - financially independent, no addictions, bathe regularly, descent health, and something a female friend calls 'safeness'. Go figure.

I thought I would be finished with women when I got divorced in my 50's. Who wants a balding, nerdy guy who looks more like a meek librarian rather than some macho dude who commands every room he walks into?

The obvious answer to that is - a balding, nerdy woman in her 50's, who likes librarians :LOL:

I'm happy it worked out for you Chuckanaut.

I feel similarly. I don't think I qualify as old yet, at just 57, but "aged out" seems an apt descriptor. I feel lucky to have a close female friend (I'm a straight feller). We think of our friendship as that of "besties". We talk on the phone several times a day, and see each other for coffee and grocery shopping about once a week. Occasionally, we'll see a film or show together. We live about a mile apart. We've been friends for around 13 years, and know each other just about as well as it's possible for two people to know each other. We have put up with a lot of each other's shiznit over the years. To my mind, it's a lot of the benefits of a close relationship without the potential downsides. As for the physical stuff, that's just not much of a motivator for me at this point. I had an awful lot of fun getting that out of my system when younger.

I would still miss the physical stuff at age 61 if I were alone.

That really sounds like the perfect relationship!

Funny how things work. I thought I would be finished with women when I got divorced in my 50's. Who wants a balding, nerdy guy who looks more like a meek librarian rather than some macho dude who who commands every room he walks into? Turns out that I have the Big 5 - financially independent, no addictions, bathe regularly, descent health, and something a female friend calls 'safeness'. Go figure.

Hey, good for you!!

Yep, as we get older, I think the items on our wishlist change too. Mine certainly did. Younger women may go for adventures, thrills, "sweep me off my feet", etc, but men like that would tire me (even when I was younger, but some of my friends definitely liked guys like that.)

This is not related to anything, but a bartender in her early 40s told me many years ago, "My mom told me to never date anybody with 1) gambling problem 2) drinking problem 3) women problem. I was like, "Wow, that's a pretty low bar to set!!"

My advice for men is to date younger and I mean much younger. I'm 56 divorcee and dating a grad student in her early 20's. Neither one of us want kids or marriage and we both are just looking to have fun. She travels to the beach with me and I am taking her to Europe next summer. Definitely the most enjoyable relationship I've ever had.

My advice for men is to date younger and I mean much younger. I'm 56 divorcee and dating a grad student in her early 20's. Neither one of us want kids or marriage and we both are just looking to have fun. She travels to the beach with me and I am taking her to Europe next summer. Definitely the most enjoyable relationship I've ever had.

And enjoy every moment because no one get's off this ride alive.

Mick Jagger also subscribes to this kind of idea!

Just curious, how did you find the lady in question?

Mick Jagger also subscribes to this kind of idea!

Just curious, how did you find the lady in question?

Step one have lots and lots of cash....no one here will have as much cash as Jagger or be a rock star. But giving someone a free trip to Europe is a good start.

Step one have lots and lots of cash....no one here will have as much cash as Jagger or be a rock star. But giving someone a free trip to Europe is a good start.

Hard to fit that all into the age field:

"52wantafreetriptoEuropemessageme"

:LOL:

There’s no such thing as free. The girlfriend will be paying one way or another.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom