Staying in hotels - is it safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just one thing that makes hotels less scary is a box of cheap sandwich bags, but not zip bags. I cover all the sink, shower, door knobs, and remote and just as soon as we arrive.

Just one thing that makes hotels less scary is a box of cheap sandwich bags, but not zip bags. I cover all the sink, shower, door knobs, and remote and just as soon as we arrive.

Great idea--I will remember this! Any idea what to put on light switches? Maybe some plastic wrap or something?

Great idea. But if I have to go to all that trouble and be concerned about taking my pillow, sanitizing the room, etc. so I could feel comfortable and not worry then I think I will pass. Then there is the brown-bagged breakfast and if not then going to a restaurant that may or may not be sanitized. Nope!

Cheers!

Joe we are from N Ga, so we took the long way into Pigeon Forge, came up thru Cherokee NC then over 441 thru Gatlinburg. It was baaad in GBurg, We normally don't go there but my wife wanted to see the new bridge. We decided not to stop.If you like to take an hour to go the 3 or so miles thru downtown then more power to ya. I only go around the bypass most times we go. The same way for us in Pigeon Forge, we know when not to go there. which is any time they are hosting a big show,rally,ball tourney,etc. Then if you don't know the "back roads" you can spend 2 or 3 hrs in bumper to bumper traffic from Sevierville thru PF to Gburg. I have been there seen that and don't care to do it. We love the Smokies but not the traffic.

We only go during the weekdays when we visit. We just got back this past Wednesday (Mon-Wed trip) and had no problems with the traffic. The sidewalks in Gatlinburg are packed with tourists but as far as driving, we had no problems.

+1 I just spent two nights in a motel recently and had zero concern of contracting the virus from surfaces. The only surfaces that I was slightly concerned were surfaces that had very recently been handled such as door bars , handles , door knobs....zero concern regarding the room itself. The huge concern was passing folks in the hallways or lobby who do not the common courtesy to practice social distancing or to a wear a mask in common areas (and I recognize and agree that it is a pain in the a....). Avoided any rooms with more than a hand full of people. Assume everyone has a very bad cold.
+1

We just returned from Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge and I can tell you that it was very busy. Almost all stores were requiring masks and there was hand sanitizer everywhere you looked. We did mostly outdoor activities but we did stay in a hotel and eat out at a couple of good restaurants while we were there.
G/PF does nothing for me. Been there handful of times over many years & the first was enough. Why'd I go back? To get to GSMNP & because others think it's great. Escapes me.

Great idea. But if I have to go to all that trouble and be concerned about taking my pillow, sanitizing the room, etc. so I could feel comfortable and not worry then I think I will pass. Then there is the brown-bagged breakfast and if not then going to a restaurant that may or may not be sanitized. Nope!

I had takeout dinners both nights- takeout is considered less risky and I prefer a quiet dinner in the room, anyway. The TV remote was sealed and sanitized but I watched Netflix on my tablet anyway.

I'm OK with skipping breakfast if there's coffee around!

G/PF does nothing for me. Been there handful of times over many years & the first was enough. Why'd I go back? To get to GSMNP & because others think it's great. Escapes me.

Mostly go for the DW but I did enjoy a new thing in Gatlinburg called Anakeesta. To each their own though.

We stayed pretty much at Hilton properties, and they were following very similar procedures.

For once we really appreciated the window AC unit.

Some implied they would not clean occupied rooms.
At The Grand Hyatt in DFW, they had central air and it blew over our heads from the window corner of the room We had to use it because we were right in the airport. No harm done.

No coffee service in room, and room service was deposited outside the door with no added service charge.

Video checkout so there was little human interaction. We were impressed and thought we might like to do it again!
Stay in lower.floors or apartment style motels to avoid elevator rides.
Another tip. If you end up trapped in an elevator with others, ask them to go back to back so they breath towards the elevator walls. I have tried it and most people will oblige. Then you can even talk to each other.

Last edited:
Video checkout so there was little human interaction. We were impressed and thought we might like to do it again!

Oh, yeah, I forgot- in the past I've gotten a physical room key as well as a virtual key on my phone. This time it was 100% virtual including check-in and check-out. Will definitely continue that.

A If you end up trapped in an elevator with others, ask them to go back to back so they breath towards the elevator walls. I have tried it and most people will oblige. Then you can even talk to each other.

Talk? On an elevator? Unheard of!

We are not planning to evacuate for any hurricanes this season, due to the pandemic. (Even for the two that might be headed our way right now!).

However, it is conceivable that we might change our mind for whatever reason. If we have no choice (for example, a monster hurricane headed straight towards us, the levees breaking, or some such thing), we'll have to evacuate and stay in some motel up north even though we don't feel even one bit OK about staying in a motel yet.

I guess what we'd do is refuse housekeeping service while we are there, and wash our hands a lot, and maybe take my pillow along with me to use in the motel. In general, the thought of staying in a motel is not at all appealing to me right now. :(

In general, the thought of staying in a motel is not at all appealing to me right now. :(

If it makes you feel any better, in the last month we've spent a total of 12 nights in hotels (five different ones), and everything was fine. Good sanitation of everything, good distancing by staff and customers, and good mask compliance by all. We're looking at another trip in October, since the last couple have been so good.

IOW, things are probably not as dire as you imagine. Take all precautions, but no need for excessive worry.

If it makes you feel any better, in the last month we've spent a total of 12 nights in hotels (five different ones), and everything was fine. Good sanitation of everything, good distancing by staff and customers, and good mask compliance by all. We're looking at another trip in October, since the last couple have been so good.

IOW, things are probably not as dire as you imagine. Take all precautions, but no need for excessive worry.
Thanks - - that is comforting. Probably this is just fear of the unknown mostly.

If we have no choice (for example, a monster hurricane headed straight towards us, the levees breaking, or some such thing), we'll have to evacuate and stay in some motel up north even though we don't feel even one bit OK about staying in a motel yet. (

Given that situation, I'd have no qualms about using this as a blow-that-dough excuse, and go for something high end. Lots of good prices at the better hotels now, and they are more likely (imo) to have better protocols. Much like, if I have to fly, I'm going first class.

Is that all just me rationalizing spending money and treating myself for perhaps a 1% better odds against covid? Why yes, yes it is.

Given that situation, I'd have no qualms about using this as a blow-that-dough excuse, and go for something high end. Lots of good prices at the better hotels now, and they are more likely (imo) to have better protocols. Much like, if I have to fly, I'm going first class.
That's good to know! I hadn't thought about that.

Is that all just me rationalizing spending money and treating myself for perhaps a 1% better odds against covid? Why yes, yes it is.
:D Besides, I can afford it, so why not. :)

We are not planning to evacuate for any hurricanes this season, due to the pandemic. (Even for the two that might be headed our way right now!).

However, it is conceivable that we might change our mind for whatever reason. If we have no choice (for example, a monster hurricane headed straight towards us, the levees breaking, or some such thing), we'll have to evacuate and stay in some motel up north even though we don't feel even one bit OK about staying in a motel yet.

I guess what we'd do is refuse housekeeping service while we are there, and wash our hands a lot, and maybe take my pillow along with me to use in the motel. In general, the thought of staying in a motel is not at all appealing to me right now. :(

W2R, it is interesting how we are all different--I would take precautions but I would have no problem staying in a hotel. I have already stayed in an Air BNB (no one was there the 3 days before I arrived). On the other hand I just cannot bring myself to eat in a restaurant because I know of too many Covid outbreaks in restaurants--but I know you eat in a restaurant every day, you probably feel very safe there.

We had to stay in a hotel Saturday night, had to drive back for MIL's funeral. Picked a small town halfway through Texas at a Hampton. Not crowded, asked for and got a ground floor room. Picked up dinner and ate in room, breakfast wasn't up to par but a bit better than expected. Basically checked in, went to room, then left in morning. No problems.

We just finished our trip to/from NE 'Bama/Estes Park, CO.

On the way out, we stopped in a Hilton property in Kansas City, KS. On the return trip, we stayed in a Marriott property in Hays, KS. In both cases we could use their app as the room key. We wiped off most surfaces first thing and we brought our own pillows. Both were nice properties (Residence Inn equivalents) but had individual AC units. Just spitballin' based on the cars in the parking lots, I'd guess both were at 50% capacity or less.

Of the risks we took during the trip, the hotel stays (and the AirBnB stay in Estes Park for that matter) were very low IMO. Not risk-free, but very low. We took the stairs to our rooms, avoiding the elevators.

In both cases we could use their app as the room key.

It is funny how what I saw as a gimmick last year has now become an essential service!

I have the Hilton app and tried out the room key thing at Hampton Inns last year. It was OK, but I still liked having the card.

Not anymore! I'm a convert.

We carry our own disinfectant and other cleaning products. We sanitize those high touch surfaces, door knobs light switches, remotes, faucets, etc I think your chance of catching covid from them is fairly low, but doing this is excellent for the psyche.

We carry our own disinfectant and other cleaning products. We sanitize those high touch surfaces, door knobs light switches, remotes, faucets, etc I think your chance of catching covid from them is fairly low, but doing this is excellent for the psyche.

We did this too. I think it is mostly "sanitation theatre", but it made us feel better doing something as opposed to nothing....

We were planning on our first hotel stay, but we haven't been able to find a place. We wouldn't stay in any hotel that didn't have good evidence they're taking precautions seriously - so budget hotels are out for now.

We were going to stay at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, until we found out the historic part of the inn is closed and you can only stay in the new wings. Some of the restaurants and all the bars are closed (makes sense but it hadn't dawned on us). So we decided we'd wait on that trip.

Then DW decided on Oak Island, we've wanted to go there for a while. But we didn't realize hurricane Isaias did a lot of damage there along with many other parts of the coast. So that's off too.

We did a day trip to Blowing Rock and that was charming, but it's too small for an overnight stay - a full day is plenty.

Now we're trying to find somewhere else we want to go...just to get away for a few days!!!

We were planning on our first hotel stay, but we haven't been able to find a place. We wouldn't stay in any hotel that didn't have good evidence they're taking precautions seriously - so budget hotels are out for now.

We were going to stay at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, until we found out the historic part of the inn is closed and you can only stay in the new wings. Some of the restaurants and all the bars are closed (makes sense but it hadn't dawned on us). So we decided we'd wait on that trip.

Then DW decided on Oak Island, we've wanted to go there for a while. But we didn't realize hurricane Isaias did a lot of damage there along with many other parts of the coast. So that's off too.

We did a day trip to Blowing Rock and that was charming, but it's too small for an overnight stay - a full day is plenty.

Now we're trying to find somewhere else we want to go...just to get away for a few days!!!

Midpack, a trip to Asheville would be fun this time of year. Why didn't you want to stay in the new section of Grove Park? I think the new section is much nicer than the old section--in the old section you can get stuck in a tiny room --all the rooms in the new section are nice. If you want to stay some where other than the Grove Park Asheville has many nice hotels. Or how about an AirBnB in Asheville--then you could have your own kitchen. Some AirBnBs are guaranteeing no one will be there the couple of days before you check in.

Midpack, a trip to Asheville would be fun this time of year. Why didn't you want to stay in the new section of Grove Park? I think the new section is much nicer than the old section--in the old section you can get stuck in a tiny room --all the rooms in the new section are nice. If you want to stay some where other than the Grove Park Asheville has many nice hotels. Or how about an AirBnB in Asheville--then you could have your own kitchen. Some AirBnBs are guaranteeing no one will be there the couple of days before you check in.
If we wait, we have ALL the options for hotels, restaurants and every other business - and arguably safer in terms of Covid. We’ve been to Asheville several times, we’ll undoubtedly go again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom