The Gas Vehicle Thread

No plans on replacing of the twin turbocharged V-8 for an EV anytime soon. I choose the route I take on long trips based on what I want to see and where I want to stop, not the vehicle, based on time consuming charging station availability.

My gut feeling is that past and current truck owners will account for a high percentage of future truck sales. I know many truck owners. None of them want an electric truck.

from the article, it appears EVs will see price drops in the next quarter:

Battery raw material prices have been one of the factors that pushed up EV prices. But prices of cobalt and lithium, crucial for EV batteries, have declined. Analysts expect commodity costs to drop further in the second half of the year.

My friends who own trucks are sticking with gas powered. Many of them use their truck for work.

We bought a 42 inch HDTV over 10 years ago I think it was $1,200. We bought a 65 inch HDTV last year I think it was $400. It's just the way technology advances to a lower cost with competitors showing up.

If EV's follow Moore's law in 10 years we should be able to purchase a 400 mile EV for 1/3 today's cost...

Maybe I should post that on the EV thread, but I won't get torched with it here...

Sent from my moto g power using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

We bought a 42 inch HDTV over 10 years ago I think it was $1,200. We bought a 65 inch HDTV last year I think it was $400. It's just the way technology advances to a lower cost with competitors showing up.

If EV's follow Moore's law in 10 years we should be able to purchase a 400 mile EV for 1/3 today's cost...

Maybe I should post that on the EV thread, but I won't get torched with it here...

Sure you will :LOL: No matter what 'they' say, an EV not technology... the vast cost of one is physical material which is not going down in price...

Now... if someone can find a way to power and EV for 300 miles on a battery the size of an AA battery I will admit I am wrong... but I am not going to hold my breath...

From Wikipedia -

[Moore's law is the observation that the number of transistors in an integrated circuit (IC) doubles about every two years. Moore's law is an observation and projection of a historical trend. Rather than a law of physics, it is an empirical relationship linked to gains from experience in production.]

I don't think that applies to battery technology. I could be wrong, and that would be a wonderful thing if I am.

My gut feeling is that past and current truck owners will account for a high percentage of future truck sales. I know many truck owners. None of them want an electric truck.

Which begs the question: What is a truck?

I see a lot of city slicker trucks in my area. They have the four passenger cabin and a small truck bed in back where the trunk of a car usually is. I admit they haul more than a standard sedan, but still, they look like the automotive version of "big hat no cattle" to me. Of course, to each his own.

I see a lot of city slicker trucks in my area. They have the four passenger cabin and a small truck bed in back where the trunk of a car usually is. I admit they haul more than a standard sedan, but still, they look like the automotive version of "big hat no cattle" to me. Of course, to each his own.

Someday, wood mills will make small size plywood sheets to fit in their bed and then they can be called a "truck". :D

I have an

But I don't ever see getting rid of my gas powered truck or Jeep in favor an electric vehicle. Our roads trips require several refueling stops in areas where there are gas stations but few if any charging stations. For us, ICE vehicles today are a more reliable form of transportation than EV's. So we'll keep using our ICE vehicles as long as they are the most convenient and reliable form of transportation.

You will want to check out the jeep
Wrangler 4XE, plug in hybrid better than ICE or EV

Perhaps Hybrids are the answer-- a bit of both worlds!

We have a 2016 Camry Hybrid and a 2015 Avalon.
Have to say, the Avalon is more comfy, but I do like the gas savings of the hybrid.
We don't drive nearly the miles we used too, though.

How will the Tesla Cybertruck fit into the definition? They just rolled the first one off the production line and Ford cuts prices days later. Coincidence?

Looks like car dealers are starting to struggle after sticking pricing up our butts during the pandemic. I just got this text from my friendly Hyundai dealer:

Hi this is Bryce the sales manager at Wiesner Hyundai. I saw that you were in our service department and I wanted to reach out to you because we are having a upgrade special on our old age units and wanted to see if you were interested in possibly trading it in and keeping the same payment or possibly even lowering your monthly payment?

I texted him back and asked him what "an old aged unit" is. (no response so far):LOL:

I think a "plan" that everyone gets a chance to "look at" and (in a sense) "vote on" would be good. Don't just willy/nilly start pushing things when we don't know what the actual plan is. Saying we're gonna have X percent EVs by 20XX isn't a real plan. Its more like a fantasy or at best a goal. ]

From everything I see, there is no plan. Just a lot of feel good talk not based in any facts or science.

And then the big question about said trucks: When was the last time you saw ANYTHING in the bed of the truck?? :LOL:

Looks like car dealers are starting to struggle after sticking pricing up our butts during the pandemic. I just got this text from my friendly Hyundai dealer:

I texted him back and asked him what "an old aged unit" is. (no response so far):LOL:

If he were talking to me, the answer would be "You, Ko'olau!"

Perhaps Hybrids are the answer-- a bit of both worlds!

We have a 2016 Camry Hybrid and a 2015 Avalon.
Have to say, the Avalon is more comfy, but I do like the gas savings of the hybrid.
We don't drive nearly the miles we used too, though.
If you don’t want an EV, hybrids are a great alternative. We’ve owned:
  • 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid (sold at 118K miles, no maintenance issues and good trade in value)
  • 2012 Toyota Prius
  • 2019 Honda Accord Hybrid
  • 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe Hybrid
All were/have been maintenance free. People worry about battery issues but the batteries last a lot longer than naysayers want you to believe. I would not buy a PHEV, not worth the trouble and expense for most people. YMMV

At least he didn't say for old aged customers :LOL: :D

And then the big question about said trucks: When was the last time you saw ANYTHING in the bed of the truck?? :LOL:
Ran across this yesterday.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 9.56.55 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 9.56.55 AM.png
    476 KB · Views: 22
I’m always hauling stuff in my truck. But yesterday I took my Jeep to the hardwood store. On purpose. If I’d had taken my truck, I would have come home with a truckload of wood that I don’t need.

This is why I bought the used 2011 Honda Odyssey. 200k miles. Limited use.

I can haul 4x8 sheets in a dry environment.
I can haul 8' lumber with the seats out and stowed.
I can haul 10' lumber if I pop out the center console.
I can camp with it and set up my inflatable mattress.

All in a dry environment.

I use this vehicle as my tool van for my volunteer gig. The last few days I've been to Home Depot a few times for materials for my own home project. I also took it to the dump this morning.

I don't have grandkids, but if I did, I could haul them around. :)

I decided to semi-permanently take out all the seats and stow them.

I don't get the pickup thing. I have plenty of friends with them when we do volunteer gigs, and the high lift over is a pain in the ass. One of them always rents a trailer to haul wood. I'm like, why:confused:

If you don’t want an EV, hybrids are a great alternative. We’ve owned:
  • 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid (sold at 118K miles, no maintenance issues and good trade in value)
  • 2012 Toyota Prius
  • 2019 Honda Accord Hybrid
  • 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe Hybrid
All were/have been maintenance free. People worry about battery issues but the batteries last a lot longer than naysayers want you to believe. I would not buy a PHEV, not worth the trouble and expense for most people. YMMV
Wow what a great record of wise purchases!
Would you mind creating your list of phone and watches too?

I don't get the pickup thing. I have plenty of friends with them when we do volunteer gigs, and the high lift over is a pain in the ass. One of them always rents a trailer to haul wood. I'm like, why:confused:

My inexpensive 2018 Subaru Forester fits almost everything I need to haul around. For things that don't fit inside (like a sheet of plywood), I have a removable roof rack.

One of my nephews has a giant crew cab pickup, which I believe was over $70k. He has a 10 year car note. As far as I can tell, he has never towed anything with that truck, hauled anything in the bed or driven it off the pavement. He works packing boxes in a warehouse. And he's stressed out because he doesn't have any money.

Back
Top Bottom