Too early to start BP medication?

Hi,

I have had high BP for about 10 years. Typically 145/95. Once was 250/150 at Drs office as I was running late and knew I was jacked up...This year I tried 3 different meds so far. one caused a cough. one made me a jerk and last one gives me terrible back pain/stiffness.

Go to Dr. end of October and guess I'll try another:facepalm:

Good Luck

Wally

One time in my life my BP got high due to pain from Shingles and my doctor recommended I go on BP medicine. I tried several and never could find one I could tolerate--on one I had the terrible cough, on two others I broke out in a rash. I finally gave up on BP meds and when the Singles pain lessened (never has totally gone away) my BP dropped to an acceptable level.

So when I hear people say that BP medicine has no side effects I have to disagree.

I was taking NSAID's regularly when I had my last physical a little over a year ago. I have since stopped working full time so my pain is manageable without meds if i'm careful not to over exert myself. Hopefully that and the biking will be enough to overcome my not-so-good diet and I won't have to go on BP meds quite yet.

I'm quoting someone else: "You can't exercise your way out of a bad diet." My BP was 135/90, sometimes as high as 150/95. I REQUESTED a small dose of a BP med. Now it's 115/70 most days.

Also, many here and elsewhere have found that cutting the carbs relieved a lot of pain issues.

I found a site called Allrecipes.com - really like it as it will convert recipes to various serving numbers. Signed up and they are sending emails every day with glossy pictures that just really make me want to try cooking.

This afternoon I made a double batch of bread and took a loaf to a Hispanic lady we met a few weeks ago when walking by her house - she was picking tomatoes and the smell from the broken stems was fantastic. We commented on it and she offered some and said we could pick them up later at her gate. On the way home we stopped and there they were. Very nice. Any way, wanted to reciprocate a bit and when we dropped the loaf by she insisted we take some tomatillos, which neither of us have ever cooked with.
Allrecipes.com gave us bunches of ways to use them. Very cool site for trying out cooking. If one wants.

Invaluable lifestyle changes that can significantly benefit your BP:
1. Sodium
2. Sodium
3. Sodium
4. Caffeine
5. Smoking (tobacco)
6. Alcohol (excess)
Also good: exercise... interestingly, hard labor does not have the same effect

This seems to be common. When the nurse at the doc's office takes my BP it is NEVER done properly, and always immediately upon entering the exam room. The doc always takes it again later after I'm rested, and it's OK.

I've mentioned this to several different doctors, and always get the same reaction: they roll their eyes and say "I know, but that's just the way they do it." :facepalm:

That’s very annoying, because it’s so much wasted effort. More like make work - they are too rushed too do it right. They always taken mine as soon as I sit down in a room right after getting up and walking a ways and already being asked several questions. I monitor my own BP and have a record to show if ever challenged on it. My normal at home BP after sitting quietly for 5 mins is around 110/77.

At my annual physical last year my blood pressure was 136/86. My Dr said that if it's that high this year she will likely want me to start BP medication at age 41. My physical is next week. I have taken my BP periodically and it is all over the place but usually in the 120s or 130s/80-ish. There is no more I can do with lifestyle changes. Lets say my BP is low 130s/low 80s, should I try to get out of taking meds or start taking them even though I am only 41? Are there certain meds that would be recommended? How much do they cost? I am low income and don't want to spend more than I need to.

I was almost the exact same as you. I was prescribed a very low dosage (25 mg) of the following diuretics/"water pill". Has worked great.

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-5310/hydrochlorothiazide-oral/details

Hydrochlorothiazide
COMMON BRAND(S): Microzide

Uses -- This medication is used to treat high blood pressure. Lowering high blood pressure helps prevent strokes, heart attacks, and kidney problems. Hydrochlorothiazide belongs to a class of drugs known as diuretics/"water pills." It works by causing you to make more urine. This helps your body get rid of extra salt and water.

This medication also reduces extra fluid in the body (edema) caused by conditions such as heart failure, liver disease, or kidney disease. This can lessen symptoms such as shortness of breath or swelling in your ankles or feet.

I take a combo pill that is half the above plus 10 mg Lisinopril. Works good and not expensive.

I lost weight, made some lifestyle and diet changes and was able to get off the water pill. Now I only need one BP pill. HBP is genetic in my family.

I started taking b/p meds when I was about 36-37. I went in for a check-up and my b/p was around 189/92, give or take. I tried playing the 'white coat syndrome' card on him, but he didn't play along. Told me come back at the end of the week and get checked again.....still just as high! He put me on telmisartin hctz that day. Went back a week later and it was around 140/80. The following week about 125/75.

Now, 26-27 years later, I'm still taking that b/p med, and my b/p is consistently around 110/65....give or take. A 90 day supply of the telmisartin cost me $5 at my local pharmacy with my prescription plan.

I started taking b/p meds when I was about 36-37. I went in for a check-up and my b/p was around 189/92, give or take. I tried playing the 'white coat syndrome' card on him, but he didn't play along. Told me come back at the end of the week and get checked again.....still just as high! He put me on telmisartin hctz that day. Went back a week later and it was around 140/80. The following week about 125/75.

Now, 26-27 years later, I'm still taking that b/p med, and my b/p is consistently around 110/65....give or take. A 90 day supply of the telmisartin cost me $5 at my local pharmacy with my prescription plan.

Wow, that's awesome. Too bad it doesn't work out that well for everyone. Maybe I and my Dr can find the right Rx to give that result for me when needed

I'm certain there are some intractable cases of HBP but for most folks, careful treatment and monitoring is effective in reducing BP to acceptable levels. I believe the "trick" is monitoring at home. Docs don't have (or don't take) enough time so you have to "do it yourself" to achieve best results.

The really good news as well as the fact that we DO have very effective treatments: It doesn't cost a lot for most folks! HBP and its treatment have been around for so long that "new" treatments (spelled: expensive) are rare. Most folks don't need anything "new." The old, reliables are good enough for most of us.

Once again, I have told you way more than I know about this subject so YMMV.

I passed my physical and my BP was very low. My BP was the lowest I have ever seen it at 96/65. I'm surprised they didn't redo it. The test I had at a different clinic a week earlier was 135/85 so it's all over the place. I think I will get a monitor for at home but at least I don't need meds for another year or more.

I have never added salt to any meal in my life. However, I eat mostly processed foods which are high in salt. I don't cook anything ever and don't plan to start. I wish the canned foods I eat had less salt but they don't.

Aaron, if you eat mostly processed foods, it's a pretty good bet that you could reduce your BP somewhat by altering your diet, and favoring more whole/real foods. I realize that this takes time and effort (as opposed to convenience foods), but it often does lead to positive health outcomes, including lowered BP. If you want to stay off BP meds and other meds, changing your diet would almost certainly help.

Everyone is right, it is cheap. Here is the thing. I went on it in my 40s, however I stopped drinking alcohol at 50 years old and before I knew it and weened myself off of my bp medicine… Now it’s 120/80...Just saying

Aaron, if you eat mostly processed foods, it's a pretty good bet that you could reduce your BP somewhat by altering your diet, and favoring more whole/real foods. I realize that this takes time and effort (as opposed to convenience foods), but it often does lead to positive health outcomes, including lowered BP. If you want to stay off BP meds and other meds, changing your diet would almost certainly help.
And if it's the convenience you prefer, there are less- or un-processed alternatives that don't require cooking. My favorite no-cook dinner when I had to worry about work, volunteering, and solo child care was a rotisserie chicken, and some microwaved frozen vegetables. I'm guessing the chicken has added salt on the skin, but less so than processed cold cut, and no nitrites.

Last edited:
Ive been taking lisinopril for years. Had a stressful job, and packing extra weight.
Stress is a killer and we all know it, as is excess weight and inactivity.
I now take two meds at age 68 to control it. Generally they are inexpensive and effective.
At age 65, one in two Americans are on bp meds.
But, genetics plays a huge role as well. My best friend who is active and very lean has
struggled for years with bp issues. Take the drugs!

There are some good inexpensive BP meds with minimal side effects. I tried several different ones until my doc and I found one that agreed with me. My doc told me that anything consistently over 120/80 is too high and that stroke risks go up with increased blood pressure. Also, I felt better after I started the medication.

I’ve heard sugar is more the enemy than salt! If you do have high salt intake your potassium levels may be low. Low potassium can increase BP. Try to increase your potassium and see if it makes a difference. Coconut water is a good source.

On another note, you said you have chronic pain—that in itself can cause your blood pressure to be higher.

It might be your genes—nothing you can do outside of meds

some people just need the meds due to there genes.

My BP typically gets very normal, even off BP medication during summer when I exercise a lot. Dr said this is false confidence: my family history of BP/strokes indicate I can’t reliably control it without meds. I am very healthy otherwise, weight, cholesterol, blood sugar all very healthy. Just high BP. Medication is < $5 every 90 days for me.

Couple of things.

There is such a thing as "white coat syndrome" which is when your BP is up when you're at the doctor's office, hospital, etc. My wife has that, as does one of our primary care physician's nurses.

Don't buy a cheap BP monitor. A decent one such as the Welch Allyn RPM-BP100 (the RPM means it's accuracy is accepted for Remote Patient Monitoring) is about $65 on Amazon - there's even an app if your doctor wants to check you remotely. If Welch Allyn seems familiar, you've probably seen it on medical equipment at a doctor's office or hospital.

High BP can cause some irreversible damage - you should research which problems go with which BP levels and how long the BP has to be high to cause a problem.

Make sure your BP is being taken correctly. Standards call for you to sit still for 5 minutes before taking it, and no caffeine earlier in the day. With me, even walking 50 steps from the waiting room to the scale to the exam room will raise my BP from 125 to 140, and then it takes 7 minutes to come back down. Some health care people are very casual about this, and the reading itself is somewhat subjective.

If your doc wants you to try meds, ask to start with a diuretic. After 8 years on two different BP meds, with very little effect if you ask me (132 sometimes, 124 sometimes), the PA suggested trying the smallest dose of HCTZ (in use since 1959, by the way). Bam -- 116. I was reluctant as I didn't want any additional nighttime potty trips, but you take it in the morning and there hasn't been any more apparent urinary output at night.

Make sure your BP is being taken correctly. Standards call for you to sit still for 5 minutes before taking it, and no caffeine earlier in the day. With me, even walking 50 steps from the waiting room to the scale to the exam room will raise my BP from 125 to 140, and then it takes 7 minutes to come back down. Some health care people are very casual about this, and the reading itself is somewhat subjective.

If your doc wants you to try meds, ask to start with a diuretic. After 8 years on two different BP meds, with very little effect if you ask me (132 sometimes, 124 sometimes), the PA suggested trying the smallest dose of HCTZ (in use since 1959, by the way). Bam -- 116. I was reluctant as I didn't want any additional nighttime potty trips, but you take it in the morning and there hasn't been any more apparent urinary output at night.

I have always had to pee more the most people. Must be hereditary as it is the same with my Dad and his Dad. My Dad takes a water pill and has to pee every 20 minutes. My Mom drives and stops at the side of the road for my Dad to pee sometimes because they can't make it to a public bathroom. No way I could work if I had to pee that often. I don't work in an office when people are more likely to get away with that sort of thing. I would work in a manufacturing/warehouse type of place where it would be very noticeable if I was gone a lot.

Last edited:
My mother has always had a healthy weight, eats fairly healthy & walks several miles most days.
She had to go on BP meds in her 50s--as did her parents.
She is an RN & said from her experiences, genetics plays a HUGE role.
I (at 54) just started Amlodipine Besylate 5MG. Cost=.31/mo. Yep, 31 cents.

Like papaof2 said, get a bp monitor. I've been on amlodopine for 5 years and basically haven't had an issue; it costs about 2$/month.

My pressure is always higher at the doctor's office but I monitor my own 2-3 times a week.

My mother has always had a healthy weight, eats fairly healthy & walks several miles most days.
She had to go on BP meds in her 50s--as did her parents.
She is an RN & said from her experiences, genetics plays a HUGE role.
I (at 54) just started Amlodipine Besylate 5MG. Cost=.31/mo. Yep, 31 cents.

Back
Top Bottom