Trip report for Austin, TX

Ed_The_Gypsy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
6 days in Austin at the end of Feb this year for a quilt show at the convention center.
Austin used to be a funky town. That is disappearing. It is becoming Seattle-ified---lots of new, very high-rise businesses and condos downtown. The highways are in good shape. All other streets are falling apart. If you can find parking on the street, you are a better man than I am. Texas has a brilliant invention of access roads: one or two lane roads on either side of a highway. Beware the toll roads. Google maps has an option to avoid toll roads!

The downtown restaurants cost more than they are worth (IMHO). Also, too loud for conversation. The food trucks on 1st Street/Cesar Chavez east of I-35 are still my favorite, but only covered seating outdoors at best. Brisket is good most places. Ribs are a gamble. Go early, before noon, for the good places. They sell out.

We like to go to Donn's Depot, east of downtown, on Monday nights. We know the Monday artist. Beer, wine and popcorn only (get there early for the popcorn). Buy food next door.

There are several YouTube videos showing lots of things to see and do.

Yeah, the town is filling up with foreigners from the West coast. Hopefully, they will not spread their wings to other Texas towns. LOL! :D

I think it's due to the cheap water and nice places for homeless to roost. (although the Governor has not been too happy with the roosting)

Yeah, the town is filling up with foreigners from the West coast. Hopefully, they will not spread their wings to other Texas towns. LOL! :D

I think it's due to the cheap water and nice places for homeless to roost. (although the Governor has not been too happy with the roosting)

And to think they don't even complain about Texas property taxes and the rising prices of real estate in the Austin area.

Texas has a brilliant invention of access roads: one or two lane roads on either side of a highway.
Ed, I guess it is just me not being from Texas but I cannot stand the access roads. They cause a lot of needless U-turns instead of just getting off an exit and hitting the shopping centers. I always seem to need to get off the main roads an exit early and make a u-turn. Gets old :(

Ed, I guess it is just me not being from Texas but I cannot stand the access roads. They cause a lot of needless U-turns instead of just getting off an exit and hitting the shopping centers. I always seem to need to get off the main roads an exit early and make a u-turn. Gets old :(
I liked those U-turns. A lot better than sitting at lights making two lefts.

Back
Top Bottom