Austin TX trip advice

I went down to Austin about 7 or 8 years ago for work on a case we were prosecuting jointly with the Texas Attorney General's office. The Texas guys took me to a Mexican restaurant called Fonda San Miguel. I thought it was great.

Yep Fonda is awesome. I definitely recommend their Sunday Brunch - if you can get in, that is...

Cheers

First tip: Go to San Antonio instead :LOL:

Seriously, avoid 6th Street downtown. Try the Warehouse District (4th). Definitely rent a car, because you will quickly want to venture out of the downtown area after hitting Lady Bird lake. Sample some eateries on Barton Springs and hit Zilker Park. But honestly I wouldn't stay in a hotel downtown or anywhere close to the downtown area.

South Austin also has some cool spots, as does South Congress (SoCo). A little north, spend a day at The Domain.

Hula Hut and Mozart's on Lake Austin, The Oasis on Lake Travis, all popular tourist destinations. Venture out into the Hill Country on 290 or 71 and stop at a winery or two.

Be prepared for traffic. And extremely high prices. It's getting nuts around here.

I'd be more specific about 6th St. Stay away from the section between I-35 and Congress. aka "Dirty 6th St." Farther west is pretty cool with a lot of stuff to do and it's a lot cleaner. Farther East of there has really changed for the better over the years and is worth a visit also.

I've been to San Antonio, but DW has not so maybe we picked the wrong place. We are into country music, and Austin seems to have a decent food and music scene at least from what I read/hear.

We enjoy hiking for sure. We like checking out museums and historical sites. I am a Veteran and always like to try and soak up military history and locations when I travel. I realize San Antonio might be better for that. I really liked that river walk, it was cool.

You didn't pick the wrong place.

For military history in Austin, visit Camp Mabry
https://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/about-us/

Other cool museums here
Blanton
https://blantonmuseum.org/

Bullock State History Museum
https://www.thestoryoftexas.com/

LBJ Presidential Library
https://www.lbjlibrary.org/

Umlauf Sculpture Garden & Museum
https://www.umlaufsculpture.org/

Harry Ransom Center on the UT Campus
https://www.hrcutexas.net/

Cheers

Last edited:
Comes out just east of Seguin on I-10 about 30 miles or so east of San Antonio, but a really fun drive!

Cheers
Many in Texas (like most other states I'm sure) drive a "little" over the posted speed limits on the highways... Admittedly, in my case, it is sometimes is a "lot"... On SH 130, It can get you into quite a "Pickle". (local joke) Or you can always try to tell the cop that stops you that you thought "130" on the highway sign was the speed limit. They have heard it before. :angel:

For those not around here, SH 130 is a.k.a the Pickle Parkway. :)

Last edited:
Did anyone mention seeing the bats come out from under the Congress Ave bridge over Town Lake at sunset?

I am going to try and get in a Kayak to witness that! I hear you really ought to wear a raincoat though...since bats poop.

Let me do a 3 day itinerary for you.

Arrive the evening before. Get your rental car from airport.

Grab a breakfast taco before heading out. Park your car under Mopac bridge for free, and hop on Town Lake trail. You can walk all the way to loop back on Congress. Or you can tour Austin Library on your way, and loop back on Lamar foot bridge. Or venture all the way to SH35. Eat your lunch at a food truck either around downtown or South Lamar. Tour the state capitol in the afternoon. Go for happy hours at Banger’s and maybe pet the dog the other patrons bring. Walk around the evening, or do sixth street bar hopping.

Tour the LBJ Presidential Library the second day. Eat lunch at Rudy’s on 360. Walk the Wild Basin Preserve after lunch, you have to reserve, which unfortunately might be full now. Then pick Barton Creek Green Belt instead. Drive along 360 to park your car beyond Pennybacker Bridge on the west side. Climb up the cliff and get a good view of Lake Austin. Then drive all the way to Oasis on Lake Travis. Enjoy your margarita while sun is setting over the lake.

On the third day, do a SUP on town lake, or just relax in a kayak. Not sure about the shower situation afterwards, you have to do your own research. If cannot find shower, then just kayak, and don’t dip in the lake. Then eat at a food truck on South Congress. Walk around the funky shops on South Congress. Then arrive a bit early at the airport. There was horror story of TSA lines a couple of month ago. Finally sit down at Hut’s Hamburgers and enjoy one of the best Hamburger of Austin.

Last edited:
Austin has changed beyond recognition in the past 30 years and especially in the past 10. I grew up there from age 11 (and left the moment I graduated from UT) and had family there until 2016, so I have been closely associated with it for years.

Family friends of decades (and thus in central neighborhoods) are planning to leave when retired.

It has been taken over by high tech, “festival Culture,” and its own press. It has grown faster than it can support, and lines everywhere are legendary. Two weeks ago the airport authority urged people to arrive for domestic flights at least 3 hours early because they are overwhelmed.

I was there two weeks ago (fortunately drove, but the traffic was horrible) and, since I had a Hyatt certificate to blow, I had a night at the Hyatt Regency on LadyBird lake. I spent the afternoon in downtown and on SoCo and recognized nothing. I didn’t recognize the skyline — skyscrapers have buried the iconic buildings.

The good thing about that 24 hours was closure: I don’t feel the need to ever return to Austin again. And that’s a bit sad.

Last edited:
Let me do a 3 day itinerary for you.

Arrive the evening before. Get your rental car from airport.

Grab a breakfast taco before heading out. Park your car under Mopac bridge for free, and hop on Town Lake trail. You can walk all the way to loop back on Congress. Or you can tour Austin Library on your way, and loop back on Lamar foot bridge. Or venture all the way to SH35. Eat your lunch at a food truck either around downtown or South Lamar. Tour the state capitol in the afternoon. Go for happy hours at Banger’s and maybe pet the dog the other patrons bring. Walk around the evening, or do sixth street bar hopping.

Tour the LBJ Presidential Library the second day. Eat lunch at Rudy’s on 360. Walk the Wild Basin Preserve after lunch, you have to reserve, which unfortunately might be full now. Then pick Barton Creek Green Belt instead. Drive along 360 to park your car beyond Pennybacker Bridge on the west side. Climb up the cliff and get a good view of Lake Austin. Then drive all the way to Oasis on Lake Travis. Enjoy your margarita while sun is setting over the lake.

On the third day, do a SUP on town lake, or just relax in a kayak. Not sure about the shower situation afterwards, you have to do your own research. If cannot find shower, then just kayak, and don’t dip in the lake. Then eat at a food truck on South Congress. Walk around the funky shops on South Congress. Then arrive a bit early at the airport. There was horror story of TSA lines a couple of month ago. Finally sit down at Hut’s Hamburgers and enjoy one of the best Hamburger of Austin.

Wow, thanks for the tips!

Austin has changed beyond recognition in the past 30 years and especially in the past 10. I grew up there from age 11 (and left the moment I graduated from UT) and had family there until 2016, so I have been closely associated with it for years.

Family friends of decades (and thus in central neighborhoods) are planning to leave when retired.

It has been taken over by high tech, “festival Culture,” and its own press. It has grown faster than it can support, and lines everywhere are legendary. Two weeks ago the airport authority urged people to arrive for domestic flights at least 3 hours early because they are overwhelmed.

I was there two weeks ago (fortunately drove, but the traffic was horrible) and, since I had a Hyatt certificate to blow, I had a night at the Hyatt Regency on LadyBird lake. I spent the afternoon in downtown and on SoCo and recognized nothing. I didn’t recognize the skyline — skyscrapers have buried the iconic buildings.

The good thing about that 24 hours was closure: I don’t feel the need to ever return to Austin again. And that’s a bit sad.
I suppose one could say the same about where I grew up. I still live in the city next door. Right now they are rebuilding all brand new schools. Restaurants have come and gone...more people then before. Traffic is worse, with wider highways.

I think its a bit of progression, good or bad. Curious, where does it interest you to travel next, rather than go back to Austin>

Lived in Austin almost my entire life but been here full time since 1979. Yes, it's grown a lot, but it's a wonderful place to visit. Traffic is bad because we haven't really updated highways that much, especially downtown.

A few comments and recommendations:
1. San Antonio is nice, but it just doesn't compare. And don't split time between the two.
2. Stay central. Yes, the traffic is terrible, but if you stay central (either downtown or east of downtown), you can avoid most of it.
3. Lots of outdoor things to do: Lady Bird Lake, Texas Wildflower Center, Wild Basin Preserve, Barton Springs (crowded), Texas Capitol grounds, Mayfield Park... I could go on and on.
3.5 All the museum ideas are great!
4. Don't forget tacos! Tons of food trucks everywhere. Torchy's tacos, El Chilito, Mi Madres, Veracruz (very good)
5. Unfortunately, Huts Hamburgers is no more. God Bless Huts.
6. Lots of people suggest the Oasis. It's quite a hike to get there (30-45 minutes from downtown depending on when you go), very touristy, and the food is meh. Great view though. I'd avoid it personally.
7. Watch the bats at Congress bridge from the North Shore (or on a SUP - but not right underneath them!)
8. South Congress shops can be fun if you like shopping. Plenty to do there, and lots of great restaurants
9. Fonda San Miguel is outstanding. Like any decent restaurant in the city, you will most definitely need reservations. Make them now!
10. Get some decent BBQ. There is a frenzy around Franklins - and it is truly outstanding - but you'll wait in line for a couple hours. Many other options (try Micklethwait Craft Meats).

And as for the airport, help is on the way with more TSA agents, but you can avoid the line almost completely with TSA Pre. Best $85 I have every spent. Clear is even better, but more spendy. I would never leave the Austin airport without at least TSA Pre.

I went down to Austin about 7 or 8 years ago for work on a case we were prosecuting jointly with the Texas Attorney General's office. The Texas guys took me to a Mexican restaurant called Fonda San Miguel. I thought it was great.
DD lives in AUS so we go there frequently and DSIL bought us a gift card to Fonda San Miguel for Christmas last year.

Another find is the Friday afternoon pork chop special at Perry's Steakhouse.

https://perryssteakhouse.com/specials/pork-chop-lunch/

Last edited:
IMO, Austin is amazing. Personally, I don't like to stag downtown. Go there and take a tour of the state capital. It's gorgeous and a great tour. Take a pic with police in a cowboy hat out front. While downtown, go to the "first" Whole Foods and get a Next Level Burger while you're there. If you are OK with a messy and DELICIOUS burger get the Beyond Animal burger.

As far as where to stay, look into staying at a hotel at The Domain. Many options including The W (?) and others. Think there's a nice Residence Inn next to Top Golf there. You can find some fancy shopping in The Domain, everything from Louis Vuitton and Tesla to Yeti and Starbucks... a lot.

Austin is a driving town too. Recommend getting a nice car via Turo. You'll get cars/trucks dropped off at airport that you can't rent at big name car rental companies.

PS the food there is amazing!!

Last edited:
Heading to Austin over the Memorial weekend holiday. Any tips on where to stay, what to eat and do?

Was initially thinking the Fairmont or Hilton downtown, but it looks like there are some reasonable VRBO accomodations for a lot less money. What area would be good for a couple traveling for the first time ever together after having kids 7 years ago. That's right, we are finally breaking free of the littles to do some exploring.

Should we focus on Downtown and Uber/Lyft it or do you recommend we rent a car?

Austin is fine. Like someone posted, the LBJ Library/Capitol are well worth visiting; there is also a nice sculpture museum over by Barton Springs (forgot the name of it, unfortunately). Eat BBQ/Franklin BBQ or a whole bunch of other good places.

Edit: Someone above posted--it was the Umlauf Gallery. In my defense it was about 15 years ago when I visited!

Last edited:
Do see the bats on the Congress Bridge at sundown.

And yea, Austin has changed a lot since the late 70's when my friends and I would drive there from Abilene Christian and hit the music venues.

C'est la vie say the old folks; it goes to show you never can tell.

IMO, Austin is amazing. Personally, I don't like to stag downtown. Go there and take a tour of the state capital. It's gorgeous and a great tour. Take a pic with police in a cowboy hat out front. While downtown, go to the "first" Whole Foods and get a Next Level Burger while you're there. If you are OK with a messy and DELICIOUS burger get the Beyond Animal burger.

As far as where to stay, look into staying at a hotel at The Domain. Many options including The W (?) and others. Think there's a nice Residence Inn next to Top Golf there. You can find some fancy shopping in The Domain, everything from Louis Vuitton and Tesla to Yeti and Starbucks... a lot.

Austin is a driving town too. Recommend getting a nice car via Turo. You'll get cars/trucks dropped off at airport that you can't rent at big name car rental companies.

Yeah staying in downtown area's is def not our thing. We prefer quiet with a short drive into downtown. Resort on a lake, cabin in the woods etc. Even a quiet suburban dead end street AirBNB would work but lately we've had mixed results with AirBNB / VRBO so I think we are gonna stay at a hotel this time.

Thanks for the tip on Turo!

Thanks for your help! We found a nice Wyndham property in the Domain area and also a nice convertible on Turo. I had never heard of that service, here's hoping we have a good experience.

Now we just need to book the Bat experience, and settle on some restaurants. SO many options. We plan to do some hiking around, catch a sunset somewhere decent and tour a museum and library. I know another person mentioned some military points of interest so I will also check that out.

pool.jpg
camaro.jpg

And yea, Austin has changed a lot since the late 70's when my friends and I would drive there from Abilene Christian and hit the music venues.

C'est la vie say the old folks; it goes to show you never can tell.

... last time I was through Abilene it had changed a bit (was at Dyess in the 60's...the old places were gone...Tye/Merkle used to be in middle of nowhere and now it's built up and has a huge mall (speaking of which...Westgate was the newer mall , now closed?,(open air at first) back in the 60's and the "downtown" was worn out and somewhat depressed)

As for Austin... I-35 was always bad downtown but once you got past Airport rd it usually was good {you DO remember that old airport, don't you?? ...that's why Airport Rd is on the north side, the new one was the old air force training base}. I was usually going down SR 71, through La Grange etc... but my last time through Austin it seemed like that everywhere were toll roads...everything.... and traffic everywhere.

So I just kept going, didn't stop in the downtown or elsewhere there (got my fill of BBQ ... and kolaches/sausage... before there, as I still knew where to go...for the GOOD stuff)

edit: {never quite understood that British statement meaning (Bob's your uncle) even after a Brit I knew tried to explain... the derivation and the supposed meaning just didn't seem to fit}

Last edited:

To be fair, virtually everywhere has changed a lot since the 70's (40+ years).

Back
Top Bottom