Austin TX trip advice

kgtest

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Heading to Austin over the Memorial weekend holiday. Any tips on where to stay, what to eat and do?

Was initially thinking the Fairmont or Hilton downtown, but it looks like there are some reasonable VRBO accomodations for a lot less money. What area would be good for a couple traveling for the first time ever together after having kids 7 years ago. That's right, we are finally breaking free of the littles to do some exploring.

Should we focus on Downtown and Uber/Lyft it or do you recommend we rent a car?

First tip: Go to San Antonio instead :LOL:

Seriously, avoid 6th Street downtown. Try the Warehouse District (4th). Definitely rent a car, because you will quickly want to venture out of the downtown area after hitting Lady Bird lake. Sample some eateries on Barton Springs and hit Zilker Park. But honestly I wouldn't stay in a hotel downtown or anywhere close to the downtown area.

South Austin also has some cool spots, as does South Congress (SoCo). A little north, spend a day at The Domain.

Hula Hut and Mozart's on Lake Austin, The Oasis on Lake Travis, all popular tourist destinations. Venture out into the Hill Country on 290 or 71 and stop at a winery or two.

Be prepared for traffic. And extremely high prices. It's getting nuts around here.

Last edited:
Why Austin? Personally I avoid it like the plague. You didn't say what are you interested in seeing/doing? San Antonino is a little better in the area for my taste.

Last edited:
Austin seemed like a version of Seattle with a slightly lower homeless population. I did like the bike/walking trails by the river.

However, the river walk in San Antonio was awesome. They even have a outdoor playhouse on the river, with the audience across the water.

I'm honestly glad to see some outside perspectives inline with my own. I've lived in Austin for 30+ years and I'm both embarrassed and annoyed at what it's become.

I'm honestly glad to see some outside perspectives inline with my own. I've lived in Austin for 30+ years and I'm both embarrassed and annoyed at what it's become.
Bold text +1

The best thing about the Austin area IMO is State Highway 130 which allows you to by-pass Austin and has the highest posted speed limit (85mph) in the US. Runs from San Antonio to Georgetown IIRC or about 90 miles.

Last edited:
Bold text +1

The best thing about the Austin area IMO is State Highway 130 which allows you to by-pass Austin and has the highest posted speed limit (85mph) in the US. Runs from San Antonio to Georgetown IIRC or about 90 miles.

:LOL::LOL:

I much prefer SA to Austin also, but the comparison isn't completely fair, given their respective size. I do agree on Hwy130 - it is a rather awesome experience for "pocket speed deamons" such as myself....:D

A lot depends on what you are interested in. Staying downtown and walking/using Uber/Lyft is fine if you are interested in the museums and such. The Texas Capitol is a beautiful building with very nice grounds. The Bullock Texas History museum is near the capitol. Both the LBJ Library/Museum and the Blanton Art Museum are on the (edges of) the UT campus and are excellent. Congress Avenue is an interesting stroll, and even more so if you go across the lake to South Congress. You can rent kayaks at several places on the lake which is enjoyable, and the hike/bike trail around the lake is also nice (you don't have to go all the way around). The Umlauf Sculpture Garden is on the south side of the lake and is a nice shady spot. (It will most likely be in the 90s by Memorial Day.) If you decide to rent a car, the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center has nice gardens.

The food scene in Austin is excellent now, so I would go with the kind of food you enjoy and look for reviews (Austin360.com has good information).

Sixth Street on weekend nights is crowded with mostly young people drinking too much, although if you like political humor, Esther's Follies is a hoot (on Sixth Street but at a corner so you can avoid the worst of it).

If you're driving, despite the recommendations above, I highly suggest avoiding I-35 at all costs. It is a zoo, especially through downtown. Taking local streets is often faster and always less stressful.

I've been to San Antonio, but DW has not so maybe we picked the wrong place. We are into country music, and Austin seems to have a decent food and music scene at least from what I read/hear.

We enjoy hiking for sure. We like checking out museums and historical sites. I am a Veteran and always like to try and soak up military history and locations when I travel. I realize San Antonio might be better for that. I really liked that river walk, it was cool.

If you're driving, despite the recommendations above, I highly suggest avoiding I-35 at all costs. It is a zoo, especially through downtown. Taking local streets is often faster and always less stressful.
Agree with that. And that's one of the main reasons why SH130 exist.. (To by-pass I-35...) Calling I-35 between SA and Austin a Zoo is being kind.:)

Agree with that. And that's one of the main reasons why SH130 exist.. (To by-pass I-35...) Calling I-35 between SA and Austin a Zoo is being kind.:)

Not that I care to find out, but I've been in Honolulu traffic during rush hour. LAX traffic during rush hour, Chicago traffic during rush hour, and DC traffic during rush hour so it will be interesting to see how Austin compares... I'll never forget there was a car burning upside down in DC and people were flying around it like it wasn't even there.

I've consistently heard Atlanta traffic is terrible, but have never been there to find out. Its on the list :D

Not that I care to find out, but I've been in Honolulu traffic during rush hour. LAX traffic during rush hour, Chicago traffic during rush hour, and DC traffic during rush hour so it will be interesting to see how Austin compares... I'll never forget there was a car burning upside down in DC and people were flying around it like it wasn't even there.

I've consistently heard Atlanta traffic is terrible, but have never been there to find out. Its on the list :D
I've been in all the big cites that you mentioned, and many more (except Honolulu) multiple times here in the US... In the US, LA gets my vote for the worse with Houston being a close second... Austin and SA are bad too but may not even make the top ten in the US. Outside the US I've seen some pretty bad traffic too. For me the worse I've seen was in Kuala Lumpur with Hong Kong and Tokyo not far behind. But I understand there are many that are worse but I just haven't seen them.

Last edited:
Why Austin? Personally I avoid it like the plague. You didn't say what are you interested in seeing/doing? San Antonino is a little better in the area for my taste.

We just always kinda wanted to check it out. TBD if we end up regretting it. FWIW, the homelessness can't be worse than San Diego, LAX and I've visited there quite a bit. Homelessness is running rampant everywhere. Even here in MN where it gets VERY cold we have a highly visible homeless population. It is what it is. Unless they start tackling the issue at the youth level, giving both folks without a chance with a rough upbringing some options for youth activities and then also addressing mental health with more facilities and treatment (including the rampant fentanyl addiction) it won't get any better.

Gee. I used to go to Austin regularly 30 years ago; sounds like things have gone downhill terribly.

I'd stay at the Four Seasons and then walk over to Joe's Generic on 6th for some of the most awesome live bands ever. It was a bit 'rough' even then but you never felt in danger. Time marches on I suppose. (sniff)

Gee. I used to go to Austin regularly 30 years ago; sounds like things have gone downhill terribly.
(sniff)

Definitely different! In fact, I used to routinely fly into Austin (first flights from my town) and drive to San Antonio to visit family. Piece of cake 30 years ago. Jump on the interstate at AUS and zip to SA averaging probably 65 miles an hour.
Now, there is no way I would even consider that. Traffic in and around Austin as well as I-35 Austin to SA is basically a parking lot at any hour, any day. A couple of years ago, I skipped Hwy 131 coming from Dallas and decided to drive through Austin on December 25. After all, how much traffic can there be on December 25, right? Well, it was stop and go from 10 miles before Austin all the way to San Antonio!!! Literally, stop and go, all the way. Unbelievable! Took MANY hours.

Just reminding folks, the OP isn’t asking about the merits of a trip to Austin. He’s decided to go and is asking for recommendations on where to stay, eat, visit, etc.

I went down to Austin about 7 or 8 years ago for work on a case we were prosecuting jointly with the Texas Attorney General's office. The Texas guys took me to a Mexican restaurant called Fonda San Miguel. I thought it was great.

If you like country music you may want to check out Greene Hall, in New Braunfels about 45 mi from Austin. Toured as Texas' oldest dance hall.

Right in Austin there is the Broken Spoke.

Lot of other places to hear bands but these two are both legendary and very different.

Scholz Beer Garten is historic. I had one professor who liked to hold class there.

Biking along Lady Bird Lake and through SoCo was the highlight of my trip in Dec 2021. I don't like touristy things so I don't do touristy things, so I can't speak about the touristy things to do in Austin. I had a great time meeting locals at bars and restaurants in SoCo. When I travel I try to embed myself into the city as a local rather than waste my money on things I can see on the internet. You learn more about what are the best things to do, best places to eat, best places to hang out, etc. I also thought it was pretty cool watching the bats downtown at sunset. I can't speak to hotels as I stayed in my RV. I had no trouble driving around Austin whether on interstate, state highways, city streets or downtown. For a city that size I considered the traffic very light. I-25 through Denver is way worse.

Did anyone mention seeing the bats come out from under the Congress Ave bridge over Town Lake at sunset?

First tip: Go to San Antonio instead :LOL:

Seriously, avoid 6th Street downtown. Try the Warehouse District (4th). Definitely rent a car, because you will quickly want to venture out of the downtown area after hitting Lady Bird lake. Sample some eateries on Barton Springs and hit Zilker Park. But honestly I wouldn't stay in a hotel downtown or anywhere close to the downtown area.

South Austin also has some cool spots, as does South Congress (SoCo). A little north, spend a day at The Domain.

Hula Hut and Mozart's on Lake Austin, The Oasis on Lake Travis, all popular tourist destinations. Venture out into the Hill Country on 290 or 71 and stop at a winery or two.

Be prepared for traffic. And extremely high prices. It's getting nuts around here.

Austinite here - agree with all of the above Except for 2 things. Yes, go to Austin, not SA. And if you do go to the Oasis, don't eat there. Drinks are good and the view is fantastic. But it's sort of a running joke around these parts for years about how bad the food is and always has been. Given the view, I guess it doesn't have to be. :LOL:

Last edited:
:LOL::LOL:

I much prefer SA to Austin also, but the comparison isn't completely fair, given their respective size. I do agree on Hwy130 - it is a rather awesome experience for "pocket speed deamons" such as myself....:D

Yep Hwy 130 is a blast! That is until you slam into a wild pig while driving at 85+ mph, which has happened on more than one occasion....

Last edited:
Bold text +1

Comes out just east of Seguin on I-10 about 30 miles or so east of San Antonio, but a really fun drive!

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom