TV, Movies and Covid19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered Netflix 2 days ago and have been watching it 16 hours a day since.

We refuse to watch anything pandemic related. Now watching “Ozark”. Netflix has been very helpful in keeping our sanity.

But Netflix is not without faults. I broke a back tooth eating popcorn during our first Netflix movie.

Donald Sutherland, TO THIS DAY, still creeps me out over his performance in the 1978 version. Brilliant! Still get creeped out the thought of him pointing at me and screaming.
220px-Donald_Sutherland_bodysnatchers_scream.jpg
Same for me :)

By chance DW and I came across a documentary entitled "Still Bill", about Bill Withers ("Ain't No Sunshine", "Lean on Me", and many others). It was a refreshing "break" from everything around us. It also reminded me of true FIRE life. He entered the music business at a "old" age, made good music that meant something to him, and resisted efforts to mold him into the "flavor of the day", When he had enough he walked away in 1985 and has not recorded any new music since then. But he saved his money and is happy in his current simpler life with his wife and children. We recommend it.
Oh, well......

Donald Sutherland, TO THIS DAY, still creeps me out over his performance in the 1978 version. Brilliant! Still get creeped out the thought of him pointing at me and screaming. One of those classic movie scenes so well done by an actor. Leonard Nimoy gets out of his spock box in the 78 version which way cool to see too.
220px-Donald_Sutherland_bodysnatchers_scream.jpg

That’s the one I remember well! I never needed to see another version!

Saw that! Cool is as cool does.

I had to stop watching Fauda on Netflix. Every episode pisses me off more than the last. Like watching grown up kids fighting (for real) about mom (god) loves me more, no loves me more...back and forth. I'll kill you b/c mom loves me more and my cause is more important than yours. I felt ignorant about the situation over there. The more I understand the madder I get.

Just started getting Shotime free on Spectrum. Saw "The Green Book" recently. Excellent flick. Currently DVRing Twin Peaks (12 episodes) since I have plenty of room on DVR and free offer ends in mid April.

Just watched an awesome movie that's a MUST watch. phantom.of.the.opera.royal.albert.hall.2011. WOW!!!

I recently watched a 12 episode series on Netflix called "Dirty Money".
I particularly took note of episode 11 living in the same state of its primary geogoraphical focus in NewEngland. I'd heard similar tales about NV.

Anyhow, I also suggest on UTube a documentary/drama called "The Spiders Web": How Britain became the Worlds Financial Center. It certainly seems plausible considering the history I'm aware of and all.

Best Wishes!

Got sucked into Tiger King on Netflix. What a train wreck. Compelling, but my life is not improved having seen it.

We started and finished Derry Girls on Netflix, and love it. The good news is that there are two "seasons", the bad news is that each one is only six 30-minute episodes. I'm also watching The Kominsky Method (also Netflix) during my in-home workouts, and it's really good. (I usually save something new that I really like for my workouts, and only watch it then, as a reward/incentive. If my spouse and I hadn't been watching Derry Girls together, I would have saved that, too.)

I'd like to add another UTube medium docudrama freebee.
A 4hr long docudrama for financial literacy enthusiasts to consider & evaluate.

The Money Masters narrated by Benito Carrion.
According to UTube it's only had 19k views in its 2yr lifespan:cool:

Good Luck & Best wishes!

Last edited:
Killing Eve, 3rd season just started.

Better Call Saul, next episode is the last for the season. Scared for Kim.
Homeland-getting pretty silly. I'm glad this is the last season.

Before I was going to start my own thread, I found this one about TV programs so I will rant a little here.

Has anyone here been annoyed at some programs which get pre-empted for various reasons to show more COVID-19 stuff? I have found 2 in the last few weeks.

The first is when several networks here in the NYC metro area break into regular programming on Sunday mornings to show NYC Mayor DeBlasio yapping for an hour or more about NYC's response. Just yesterday, we had FIVE networks (Channel-2 CBS, 4 NBC, 5 FOX, 7 ABC, and 11 PIX) showing the same dang thing, so anyone wanting to watch the regular shows was stuck. I watch CBS's Sunday Morning, a good, 90-minute show which starts at 9 AM so at 9:30 they cut in with DeBlasio and that was it for Sunday Morning. The 5 networks returned to their regular programs at different times, with Fox News Sunday, one of the many talking head news shows, starting at 10 AM, its normal time. But the other networks didn't return until as late as 10:30 AM. Pretty annoying to lose these good shows for as much as an hour so FIVE networks can air the same dang thing.

But this isn't as bad as what COZI-TV has begun doing the last few weeks. The NBC-affiliated cable-TV network airs a lot of 1970s shows in its regular daily programming every day. But now, they have pre-empted its morning schedule (9 AM-11 AM) to show NBC's shows in those 2 hours, including the THIRD hour of the Today Show followed by some show with Hoda Kotb. Why do we need to have the same exact show on TWO networks for 2 hours? COZI-TV is a good escape from the daily depressing news about COVID-19. It accomplished absolutely nothing to air another show already on the air and available to all on COZI-TV, too. I wrote COZI-TV but don't expect any reply.

I've recently delved into Amazon Prime Video. Lots of stuff for absolutely free, occasionally with an ad that makes it free. Some of my favorite shows from ~10 years ago are available for free. I can watch on my iPad with earbuds whenever and wherever I want.

It's a bit too easy though, could become an addiction...

My DB has gifted us with HBO NOW since he gets to share his subscription. The comedy specials have captured our attention. We're belly laughing again. What a relief!

STARZ sent me a promo for 6 months for $19.95 or thereabouts. Decided to use it.

Before I was going to start my own thread, I found this one about TV programs so I will rant a little here.

Has anyone here been annoyed at some programs which get pre-empted for various reasons to show more COVID-19 stuff? I have found 2 in the last few weeks. <snip>

I watch CBS's Sunday Morning, a good, 90-minute show which starts at 9 AM so at 9:30 they cut in with DeBlasio and that was it for Sunday Morning. The 5 networks returned to their regular programs at different times, with Fox News Sunday, one of the many talking head news shows, starting at 10 AM, its normal time. But the other networks didn't return until as late as 10:30 AM. Pretty annoying to lose these good shows for as much as an hour so FIVE networks can air the same dang thing.

CBS Sunday Morning Full Show 4/26/20:

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/sunday-morning-full-episode-4-26-2020/

Just be forewarned: I read the summary and 90% of the stories yesterday were about preparing for quarantine and coping with quarantine life. Just saying - you can't escape it wherever you go! :D

The good news is that Mo Rocca, Julie Andrews, and Jim Gaffigan appear in yesterday's segments. Thanks for reminding me how good this show is, by the way. :)

Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but the You Tube series called "SGN News”, starring John Krasinski is just outstanding. There are currently five episodes and each is about 20 minutes long. He is doing this from home using skype, facetime, etc. He checks in with celebrities who are also at home to discuss interesting things. He also checks in with regular folks, talking about basically feel-good stories. Each episode is unique and you may shed a tear or two, even though they are feel-good stories. Just check them out and you will see what I mean. Go to YouTube.com and type in "John krasinski sgn news episode 1” . Here is a link that might work for episode 1:

We are binging on our free month of CBS.
For us, there are 3 series we were interested in and are on number 3, so will cancel it after using it for 2 weeks for free.

The only 3 shows we could find interesting are:
EVIL, Picard, Star Trek Discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom