Twitter Employees Resigning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true if those employment-based visa workers are being sponsored by their employer for a green card. Getting a green card is a multi-years-long process and if any aspect of the worker's job changes in the interim, the green card approval process needs to start from square one again, risking denial. If being sponsored for a green card, more likely the foreign national will put up with any crap from the employer, stay put and not risk his green card.

This.

Companies *love* employment-based visa workers because of these factors.

We've all heard it a jillion times. Every recruiting brochure and company flack jaw flapper says it. Every company is "THEEE PLACE to work! We are just sooo selective for the right kind of employee who deserves to work here!" On the last page near the bottom if it's anywhere to be found, reads something like: "Our compensation package is commensurate with others in the industry."

There's a Dilbert cartoon on that. Something about the company bragging about their outstanding, way above average employees that make the difference, then Dilbert points out that their pay is based on industry averages. :)

As far as being young and working at THEEE place that's all the rage 80 hours a week and thinking it's great:A) You're being exploited but you don't care because you find the intangibles intriguing. ...

I wouldn't call it being 'exploited' - it's a choice. You enjoy the challenge, and/or are learning things you wouldn't get elsewhere, and/or getting something super-valuable to put on your resume. If you are being 'exploited', go find another job.

-ERD50

There's a Dilbert cartoon on that. Something about the company bragging about their outstanding, way above average employees that make the difference, then Dilbert points out that their pay is based on industry averages. :)

Yeah, our MegaCorp did that too. They talked about wanting above-average performance, but worked hard to keep compensation right at the average. We used to call it "striving for mediocrity."

Yeah, our MegaCorp did that too. They talked about wanting above-average performance, but worked hard to keep compensation right at the average. We used to call it "striving for mediocrity."

Yep, great point how every company brags about how they only hire the best, and their employees are above average. But then pay is only to meet industry average. A problem made worse when raise time and it was merit increases and not any COLA. So to reward the higher performing (higher than above average? LOL) with a raise above the merit pool average, you have to take some away from lower performing (less than above average? LOL again) in order to balance the available funds. So in the above average employee collective some get above average raise, some get below average. Not a recipe for employee happiness and satisfaction.

Back to the original topic, I don't feel sorry for any of the spoiled Twitter crybabies that are being asked to come to work and put in extra effort. The previous gravy train has dumped it's load. If they can go get a different job with gravy train number 2, good for them. But it seems symptomatic of an entire industry of employees that don't know what real work is or requires.

Signed, unsympathetic and hardass 38Chevy 454

Well, Jack Dorsey, former Twitter owners, just took Elon's Billions. Now, he's building a much faster and better Twitter competition social media platform and hiring the Twitter employees that Elon just fired or quit. Elon will be left with the older dying version of Twitter, and Jack Dorsey will have a brand new Twitter 2.0 website. LOL. I guess he's saying 'Thanks Elon for the Billions, I now built a better Twitter 2.0 app'.

Well, Jack Dorsey, former Twitter owners, just took Elon's Billions. Now, he's building a much faster and better Twitter competition social media platform and hiring the Twitter employees that Elon just fired or quit. Elon will be left with the older dying version of Twitter, and Jack Dorsey will have a brand new Twitter 2.0 website. LOL. I guess he's saying 'Thanks Elon for the Billions, I now built a better Twitter 2.0 app'.

He didn't have some form of non compete? Or I guess this is not directly related to the sale of twitter.

But even so, if I were a lawyer I would be rubbing hands together over the potential fees in lawsuits if any of the former Twitter employees bring tech to the new 2.0 platform that they developed while at Twitter.

Lawyers always win.

Well, according to an SEC filing dated Oct 27, Jack Dorsey owned 18 million shares of Twitter and he rolled them all into the new ownership structure. In other words, he took no cash and remains a minority partner.

Here’s the SEC filing https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1418091/000119312522274034/d393652dsc13d.htm

Doubtful. Dorsey built a money-losing fiasco that had few users and lost money.

Lots of those out there.

Plus he is undoubtedly under a noncompete/nondisclosure.

I wouldn't call it being 'exploited' - it's a choice. You enjoy the challenge, and/or are learning things you wouldn't get elsewhere, and/or getting something super-valuable to put on your resume. If you are being 'exploited', go find another job.-ERD50

Maybe it's just the games people play." Yep, I got a degree and I am mighty. No fool. Choice for you. Exploitation for the employer. You can be exploited without realizing it. Or realize it but still conclude it's still the best deal in town for the time being. Doesn't change anything. Everyone who's ever been defrauded in business thought they got a good deal. Your motivations can be co-opted/tapped into/ buttons pushed. Napoleon said "A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. " A choice? I guess it is for Beetle Bailey but by old age we all know what the Generals were really doing.

PS: I don't want to take this any more off topic than it already is. Just wanted to get my POV on record with this.

... Your motivations can be co-opted/tapped into/ buttons pushed. Napoleon said "A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. " A choice? I guess it is for Beetle Bailey but by old age we all know what the Generals were really doing...

+1

Business leaders and politicians know how to make gains from followers' vanity.

Yep.

Tech workers were all full of themselves in 1999 too. And then they weren't.

I don't know if the current change up in tech hiring is a blip or a long process like the 2000 crash. It will be interesting to watch now that I'm not embroiled in it. I had 7 years of real (not inflation adjusted) wages dropping after the tech crash. Then a raise or two, then the great recession. It was painful. I made more in 1999 than I did when I retired in 2018, which was coincidentally when tech wages started another ride straight up, much like 1995 to 2000.
Ahh yes the aughts had some strong points for us techies. Even though raises didn't keep up with inflation after 2000 the B.S. rules of work weren't enforced at megacorp till around 2008. Then the petty crap started again.
I never heard a word about dress codes or occasional work at home between 99 and 08. Suddenly all the silly rules started to be enforced.

Sent from my LM-Q850 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Word has it Twitter's copyright detection is failing and allowing movies to be posted.

Word has it Twitter's copyright detection is failing and allowing movies to be posted.

Hah, I just saw that several Web sites said this, so it is true.

Is this a new definition of free speech or what? Copyright no longer respected. :LOL:

Hah, I just saw that several Web sites said this, so it is true.

Is this a new definition of free speech or what? Copyright no longer respected. :LOL:

Yep. Nothing is respected. Just wait until they sue you.

Last edited:
It is in fact not a Twitter competitor.

It is a Twitter competitor. All social media are. Read the news - 30,000 already left Twitter to sign up to Blue Sky - the new Dorsey Platform. Jack Dorsey said it is a competitor to Twitter and any social media. Yup, he was point-blanked asked if it was a competitor to Twitter, and his answer was YES.

Last edited:
It is a Twitter competitor. All social media are. Read the news - 30,000 already left Twitter to sign up to Blue Sky - the new Dorsey Platform. Jack Dorsey said it is a competitor to Twitter and any social media. Yup, he was point-blanked asked if it was a competitor to Twitter, and his answer was YES.
Well, not in the way you are suggesting. And I kind of doubt Twitter views "all social media sites" as competitors. And I doubt most social media sites (there are thousands) view themselves as competing with Twitter. Most are quite niche-y.

And 30k signed up to beta test the app. It is not a "platform". And no one "left Twitter" to get on a waitlist to be a beta tester. Nor is there any reason to do so.

Now could their technology, once market ready, matter? Possibly. But it seems more likely to be useful to existing social media platforms. With no control/ownership of data, or anything, what is the revenue model? How would it scale?

It is interesting how Dorsey, having made billions with centrally controlled social media has now suddenly seen the light:no one should own social media.

Have to remember what the internet was like before it was commercialized.

I couldn't add this to the last thread speculating this might happen, because the old Elon Musk - Twitter thread got shut down due to politics, so here is a new thread. Let's try to keep this one open.

“Entire teams representing critical infrastructure are voluntarily departing the company, leaving the company at serious risk of being able to recover,” the engineer, who said they were handing in their resignation on Thursday, wrote to CNBC.

The engineer added that many leaving Twitter did not feel the need to stay, and that they only knew of two people staying, one because the company sponsored their U.S. visa. “We are skilled professionals with lots of options, so Elon has given us no reasons to stay and many to leave,” they wrote. - https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/17/new-wave-of-resignations-hits-twitter-after-musk-ultimatum.html

For an otherwise smart guy, I don't know what Elon Musk was thinking with his no work from home and you must commit to work insanely long hour forms for employees to sign. Engineers in high demand / low supply fields can quite easily just switch jobs for higher pay per hour and better working conditions.

Elon has a high IQ,but he’s also on the spectrum and socially inept. He suffers what a few very smart people also suffer, way below average common sense and poor judgement in the life skills area. So yes you can be a genius in some respects, but totally stupid when dealing with common issues.

Elon has a high IQ,but he’s also on the spectrum and socially inept. He suffers what a few very smart people also suffer, way below average common sense and poor judgement in the life skills area. So yes you can be a genius in some respects, but totally stupid when dealing with common issues.

I keep hearing about things like 'socially inept'. I've seen a few interviews with him, he seems to conduct himself quite well, articulate, well spoken. Sure, at times he goes bombastic, but again, that often comes with the territory.

Lacking common sense? Poor judgement in the life skills area? Can you give examples?

-ERD50

The politics is irrelevant and not helpful to allowing this thread to last as long as twitter might have left.

He laid off 50% of the team.

Then he gave an ultimatum to the rest (go hardcore or go to severance), which, reportedly, 75% declined as of last night. The remaining 25% of the 50% are likely scared, financially strapped, or reliant on their employment visa's and unable to nimbly move. Anyone with amazing portable talent would have bailed. I would. You would. Given that offer, if someone started a thread here, literally every post in response would be to take the 3 months and go.

I don't know many companies that could go from 3800 to ~500 and still run well. Especially when the odds of those ~500 being the A team are super slim at this point. Anyone with a strong portable resume is gone or going. It certainly would preclude anything other than the barest of keep-the-lights-on stuff.

Fact is most if not all A- team workers are the brightest and are the first to leave when they smell the slightest hint of poor management decisions. They usually are prime candidates for competitors to snap up right away. My guess is they are all gone now.

I heard on the radio that Twitter has most of it's layoffs in foreign countries, like India and Other's.
The issue this causes is losing all the foreign speaking workers means nobody is left who can tell the content of various tweets. Hard to enforce whatever speech/posting rules twitter is supposed to have.

Also causes an issue when the gov't in some country demands the IP address or other details of some client, Twitter used to deny/delay around 50% of demands by certain countries. Now fewer folks will even know what the various gov'ts are asking and what is the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom