Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - 2021 version

Just got this ad for Hulu at $.99 for 12 months. You can cancel your subscription any time.
I'm not familiar with Hulu's programing so your on your own.
But at $11.88 for 12 months that covers 3 or 4 hours of a decent shows!

https://www.hulu.com/gma

Last edited:
Just got this ad for Hulu at $.99 for 12 months. You can cancel your subscription any time.
I'm not familiar with Hulu's programing so your on your own.
But at $11.88 for 12 months thatcovers 3 or 4 hours of a decent shows!

https://www.hulu.com/gma

Thanks, that's an excellent find. All signed up.

Yep. The only viable solution for me (besides "sailing the high seas," which I don't do) is Direct TV Stream. I swallowed my vomit and subscribed for 2 months last summer for hockey playoffs.

I'd actually pay $20 a month to the RSNs. I'd only subscribe the last month or two of the season, along with playoffs. To pay for it, I'd pause Netflix and others during that period.

Does NF let you pause? Does it maintain your favorites or watch lists through the pause?

I'd probably pay for RSN if Comcast dropped it. I watch a lot of games, usually prioritizing them over other TV programming.

Does NF let you pause? Does it maintain your favorites or watch lists through the pause?

I'd probably pay for RSN if Comcast dropped it. I watch a lot of games, usually prioritizing them over other TV programming.

From the company:

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/helping-members-who-havent-been-watching-cancel

We’ve always thought it should be easy to sign up and to cancel. So, as always, anyone who cancels their account and then rejoins within 10 months will still have their favorites, profiles, viewing preferences and account details just as they left them. In the meantime, we hope this new approach saves people some hard earned cash.

...I dropped YTTV because the only sport I really wanted was my local NHL hockey team, and YTTV doesn't carry it. That's still a problem, but for now we just watch the game recap on the NHL app the next day..
Ironically, free Youtube provides excellent game recaps for NFL, NHL, NBA and Tennis. I actually prefer it to fast fowarding through a recorded show.

Ironically, free Youtube provides excellent game recaps for NFL, NHL, NBA and Tennis. I actually prefer it to fast fowarding through a recorded show.

Oh, what I mean is NHL app (on Roku) gives options the next day:
- Choose a play
- Game recap
- Condensed game

It does not play a whole game for free. We choose recap, usually 4 to 5 minutes, and it is pretty good. Condensed game adds other stuff like ref review controversies, usually about 8 to 10 min.

This same stuff is echoed to YouTube.

Has there been a change to the Lifetime channel, available with Roku ?
There is no more Live tv option. Instead, it brings you back to the Roku home page. Some movies are viewable, but some now say unauthorized user. This was all fine a couple of weeks ago.

Cancelled my 1.99 per mo. Hulu account. And signed up for the .99 Hulu acct with a new email. At least some prices are going down!

We officially cancelled everything from Comcast a couple of weeks ago. I’m really happy with the T-mobile 5G internet. I’m hoping to never have to deal with Comcast again.

We are coming up on a year with T-Mobile internet. Love it. Just did a speed test and today we are at 145 Mbps. Sometimes it switches over to the LTE tower and we drop to as low as 25 Mps...which still works fine. I just reboot the Nokia gateway and it usually flips back over to the 5G tower. I access the gateway by typing the IP address into Chrome and logging in, hit reboot and everything's back up in 2 minutes.

Yikes this is a long thread. I plan to call and cancel my AT&T uVerse on Monday. It is so expensive and has nothing but news, reality shows and movie reruns. I got a Fire TV Stick on Friday and its great. I mainly use NetFlix, Amazon, Pandora and YouTube. I'll just keep the Internet connection from AT&T. I was using the apps on my Vizio TV which were mostly okay, except for YouTube which stalled all of the time, but works great on the Fire TV Stick.

We are coming up on a year with T-Mobile internet. Love it. Just did a speed test and today we are at 145 Mbps. Sometimes it switches over to the LTE tower and we drop to as low as 25 Mps...which still works fine. I just reboot the Nokia gateway and it usually flips back over to the 5G tower. I access the gateway by typing the IP address into Chrome and logging in, hit reboot and everything's back up in 2 minutes.

What is the model of that 5G gateway?

Do they have a data cap?

Did you already get a good 5G signal in your home with your phone or you just plugged in the gateway and got good speeds?

I'd hate to be stuck at 25 Mbps if for some reason you can't get good enough reception.

Yikes this is a long thread. I plan to call and cancel my AT&T uVerse on Monday. It is so expensive and has nothing but news, reality shows and movie reruns. I got a Fire TV Stick on Friday and its great. I mainly use NetFlix, Amazon, Pandora and YouTube. I'll just keep the Internet connection from AT&T. I was using the apps on my Vizio TV which were mostly okay, except for YouTube which stalled all of the time, but works great on the Fire TV Stick.

Yes, this thread is long because the world is really radically changing when it comes to TV. Cable providers are doing nothing except raising rates and riding the wave of momentum, mostly from people who need sports and news. Even there, Fubo is a good alternative.

Hey, you know with uVerse you already have HBOMax, right? Perhaps you were'nt using it. When you cancel, see if they'll still give it to you for free if you agree to keep their internet. It is worth a shot.

Yes, this thread is long because the world is really radically changing when it comes to TV. Cable providers are doing nothing except raising rates and riding the wave of momentum, mostly from people who need sports and news. Even there, Fubo is a good alternative.

Hey, you know with uVerse you already have HBOMax, right? Perhaps you were'nt using it. When you cancel, see if they'll still give it to you for free if you agree to keep their internet. It is worth a shot.

Yeah cable providers are a sorry lot. My uVerse TV costs $138 a month. I've been watching it less and less. I won't miss it.

I forgot about sports. I used to watch F1 but stopped after they went woke. Before that I also watched MotoGP but they went to their own streaming channel sometime back. I don't watch ball sports so nothing lost there.

I find enough movies on Amazon. Now with Fire TV there are more movies to be had.

My Facebook memories reminded me that we officially cut cable one year ago today.

The only thing we have been unable to replace is ABC. We tried an antenna. Didn't work. We used Locast for a while, but then they lost some lawsuit and shut down. My wife misses watching GMA in the morning. She watches the Today show instead, but doesn't like it as much. And there is the occasional ABC show that we're not able to view, or at least not live.

Other than that, we miss it not a bit. I'll admit I do miss being able to just turn on the TV and randomly flip channels, but that's a small inconvenience for saving over $100/month.

Yeah cable providers are a sorry lot. My uVerse TV costs $138 a month. I've been watching it less and less. I won't miss it.
Sounds like the full price for the U300 package. It's the one we have, but we're on a $45/mo promo discount. Used to be a bigger discount, but they've incrementally lowered the discount amount each of the last three years.

Our promo ends in a couple of days. I figure AT&T will either offer a promo with the same or less discount, or they won't offer a promo at all. At some point, I think they'll be pushing users off of Uverse so that they can jettison the service. Not looking forward to dealing with AT&T later this week.

Sounds like the full price for the U300 package.

Not looking forward to dealing with AT&T later this week.

Yes U300 is what I have. I need to call AT&T because their website only has options to choose a different service, not to delete the service.

It would not surprise me if Uverse goes away at some point. It is archaic compared to other options and way over priced.

Yes U300 is what I have. I need to call AT&T because their website only has options to choose a different service, not to delete the service.

It would not surprise me if Uverse goes away at some point. It is archaic compared to other options and way over priced.
AT&T's streaming TV services aren't much better. In fact, to get all of the channels my wife would want would require their Ultimate Package at $94.99/mo. With the promo and extra room STB, we're paying $93/mo for Uverse U300.

Part of their high pricing is the inclusion of a lot of channels. The best we can do to get the channels my wife would want (without local channels) is with Sling Blue plus their Total TV add-on for $56/mo.

My Facebook memories reminded me that we officially cut cable one year ago today.

The only thing we have been unable to replace is ABC. We tried an antenna. Didn't work. We used Locast for a while, but then they lost some lawsuit and shut down. My wife misses watching GMA in the morning. She watches the Today show instead, but doesn't like it as much. And there is the occasional ABC show that we're not able to view, or at least not live.

Other than that, we miss it not a bit. I'll admit I do miss being able to just turn on the TV and randomly flip channels, but that's a small inconvenience for saving over $100/month.

You could sign up for Hulu and their (I think) .99/month special. They make GMA available for streaming the next day.

DW and I cut the cord 2 years ago. Currently subscribe to FUBO, and have free Roku, free Peacock and Amazon Prime. The ONLY thing we watch on CBS and NBC is the local newscast. We watch nothing on ABC. The local news and some sports is the main reason we have the FUBO. At some point in the near future I think we will get rid of the FUBO as we can get the local NBC station over the air and I have less and less interest in sports due to the politicizing and big corporate world money control. I would miss golf but could get some with the OTA NBC. At that point, cost is almost zero as I actually have prime for free shipping.

You could sign up for Hulu and their (I think) .99/month special. They make GMA available for streaming the next day.
Hmm. That might be worth it. I'll run that by my wife.

Other than that, does anyone have any tips for getting ABC? Ideally we'd like to be able to get our local ABC affiliate (channel 6 in Philadelphia) but we'd settle for another one.

Hmm. That might be worth it. I'll run that by my wife.

Other than that, does anyone have any tips for getting ABC? Ideally we'd like to be able to get our local ABC affiliate (channel 6 in Philadelphia) but we'd settle for another one.

Well, you could try it with Roku. You install the ABC channel on the Roku and then activate it. I don't have cable either but it lets me tune into live TV (our local station). It has a program guide and I looked ahead to tomorrow morning and there was GMA. Might work for you as well.

Back
Top Bottom