Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - 2021 version

Got the latest basic Firestick on the black Friday deal. I had an earlier generation F.S. 5 years ago. It stunk. It would not work with the demands of the apps.

This latest F.S. has enough memory and horsepower to work OK. However, I still prefer Roku.

Why? Roku's proprietary Linux based operating system (foundational stuff users don't see) just seems to run apps faster and better. Apps come up faster, especially after caching. Apps don't crash or misbehave as much, if ever. It is just a faster experience.

Firestick runs on Android. I managed to hang the Firestick with the Paramount+ app. I got this F.S. mostly so DW could watch P+ on the exercise room TV. She was using her Kindle, but the P+ app would have issues.

Well, it has the same issues on F.S. Granted, this is likely a P+ bug, but man, it stinks. The only solution is to force stop the app and clear app memory. P+ works perfectly on Roku. It dawned on me that Kindle and F.S. probably run exactly the same Amazon base code. Of course! But I have also seen P+ issues on Chromecast, another Android device.

It also struck me that the apps have the same look and feel on Firestick as Chromecast w/GTV. Makes sense, same Android app.

Roku's look and feel is slightly different for all apps.

Each has plus and minuses, but it is no big deal.

What is a bigger deal is the home screen and how it works on Firestick versus Roku. Roku's clean app interface is my preference. It is also easy on fading eyesight. F.S. is too cluttered (with Ads too!). Too many steps to get the long list of apps.

I guess in summary, both devices are fine, I just give the edge to Roku... for now.

I agree. I have to use a fire stick because I use Recast for OTA programs and it won't play with Roku. I tried to use FS for everything for simplicity, but Hulu crashes FS every so often. Reboot usually solves the problem, but when it happens it is annoying. So I now use the Roku box to watch Hulu and FS for everything else. Means I have to switch remotes around more than I would like but I find that less annoying than restoring FS.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/14...ney-carrier-dispute-abc-news-espn-december-17

YouTube TV is in negotiation with Disney and may drop the Disney channels on the 17th if they can't come to an agreement. Just in time for bowl season. YTTV would drop it's price $15 and suggests people could get a Disney streaming bundle for $13.99 to get most of those channels back. Is that the best way to get the ESPN channels? There's ESPN+, but I thought that was a supplement to the basic ESPN channels, not a replacement.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/14...ney-carrier-dispute-abc-news-espn-december-17

YouTube TV is in negotiation with Disney and may drop the Disney channels on the 17th if they can't come to an agreement. Just in time for bowl season. YTTV would drop it's price $15 and suggests people could get a Disney streaming bundle for $13.99 to get most of those channels back. Is that the best way to get the ESPN channels? There's ESPN+, but I thought that was a supplement to the basic ESPN channels, not a replacement.

This is annoying, even though I don't have YTTV right now, I may some day. Stuff like this continues to give me pause.

What is almost more annoying than the disruption is the way they try to get the consumers in the middle of their politics. "Call <service x> and tell them to keep broadcasting channel 77." Blah, blah, blah.

ESPN + doesn't have the rights to stream major sports yet, like NFL or NBA.

They may be streaming NHL, don't know about MLB.

In a couple of seasons they may stream NFL under a new TV deal the goes in effect.

But you can also expect hight prices by then.

Streaming is the bomb. We have 2 homes and don’t pay for cable anywhere. Our daughter can use our Netflix as we pay for more users. Streaming saves us quite a lot and never have to worry about Recording something.

We tend to watch things while doing other things so being able to Stream to my iPad from the Kitchen while cooking, or my office while filing or the garage while puttering is great. No TV required, no box, nothing. Never going back! Do have a mesh router and a very fast fiber optic line and a 2nd always on VPN router for Movies and things if really watching on the big screen as many sites are geo blocked here.

So what is the best way to get ESPN and ESPN2, which have all of the bowl games except for a few OTA games I can pick up with my Leaf antenna? Sling Orange for $35? Is there a thinner package I can get them on? That's what I was hoping with Disney+ with ESPN+ but I can't find if that includes it.

Maybe they stream some minor owl games but would be surprised if they streamed like the top 10 bowl games including the playoffs.

Dang, you mean I could have paying $15 less? :LOL: I don’t care about sports or the kiddie channels.

What this comes back to is the desire for a la carte “cable,” which I don’t expect to ever happen.

If you're using a live streaming service you better get use to this, if it's not Disney then it's one of the other big companies or big local providers like Tegna or Sinclair trying to gouge the providers. Dish dropped HBO for over two years refusing to pay their asking fees, I haven't had the local Fox channel (Tegna) on Dish since 6 October, no indication that it will be back anytime soon.

So what is the best way to get ESPN and ESPN2, which have all of the bowl games except for a few OTA games I can pick up with my Leaf antenna? Sling Orange for $35? Is there a thinner package I can get them on? That's what I was hoping with Disney+ with ESPN+ but I can't find if that includes it.

Vidgo has them both. We subscribe to both Sling and Vidgo because ESPN only allows one device at a time... on each network. I believe this is a new policy. If we try to watch any ESPN program with either Vigo or Sling on two different devices (i.e., ROKU, Fire TV, or Shield) it closes one.

https://www.vidgo.com/

I went with Sling Orange which appeared to have the best price to get the three basic ESPN channels. Subscribed on August 11 and have already canceled effective January 11, the day after the final big bowl game. They were offering the first month at $10, not sure if that deal is still available.

When I began my cord cutting journey, in about 2013, I was paying almost $200 a month for a bundle of cable TV, internet and phone. Plus Netflix.

Now, I have Tablo which records OTA.I can also watch live TV through it. Plus Netflix. My latest bill for internet and phone is $78. The game appears to be picking a streaming service until you have watched all the content during the discount period, then drop it.

Verizon gave us Disney plus for a year. We did Sling for a few months. We did Acorn for a few months. We are now watching Britbox for almost nothing per month. For bowl season, I am paying $60 or so to Spectrum. The cable box is still shrink-wrapped as I stream, only. I will turn off Spectrum in early January. And I still have thousands of hours of stuff recorded on my Tablo. Plus Netflix. Plus Amazon Prime. Plus a whole bunch of free things that you guys have told me about that I have not had time to explore (Pluto, IMDB free, Roku channel)

Saving money is a good thing, but for me, I made the change for my blood pressure. What I mean is that dealing with cable provider's poor customer service drove me nuts. Me: I am not getting any stations. Them: Is your TV on? Or, I could go on...

And, every few month there was some new or increased fee. For example: all TV's must have boxes at $9 per month. This is because "we" are going all digital. Not that we are trying to gouge you. Then, "local broadcast surcharge" crept in at about $3.99 per month. Now it is $17.99 per month.

I do have an addiction to live sports but, for the most part, I can get it for free OTA. March Madness may be an issue.

What is almost more annoying than the disruption is the way they try to get the consumers in the middle of their politics. "Call <service x> and tell them to keep broadcasting channel 77." Blah, blah, blah.

Sorry to quote myself, but it is appropriate.

So there I am watching free PlutoTV last night, and an ad comes on (from Disney corporate) telling me to stand up against YTTV and go to some web site to save the channels.

Blah, blah, blah. Keep your carriage wars and skirmishes on pay TV. I want my migraine commercials back! And get off my lawn!:mad:

I went with Sling Orange which appeared to have the best price to get the three basic ESPN channels. Subscribed on August 11 and have already canceled effective January 11, the day after the final big bowl game. They were offering the first month at $10, not sure if that deal is still available.
It is, and I went with this too, thanks. It only allows one stream at a time, and I wouldn't normally have gone with this because I have a 3 TV setup in my lower level but it looks like there's only one overlap of games, on Jan 1. I can pick up OTA channels without a package.

Recently cut the last cord (wired internet) and so far so good with a few compromises. We had been internet only with Comcast/Xfinity for ~3 years (and another 5+ in another state before that) with the only alternative being Frontier FiOS which neighbors have complained about more than Comcast even. Our fairly basic 50 mbps service went up from $30 to $70/mo and Comcast wouldn't budge on finding a promo rate so we finally dropped them after doing a 2 month+ test using a Sprint based unlimited mobile hotspot plan for $400/year. The big bonus here is that we travel 3-6 months a year by RV or other means so now we are never paying for internet that we're not using and the hotspot has worked great on the road so far. At home we are able to get ~30 mpbs which works well enough for general use and 1 streaming TV with only a few hiccups so far.

Combination of Prime Video + Hulu (BF deal) + Pluto/Peacock Free covers us pretty well for content these days for a low monthly total

YTTV lets Disney channels go dark, amazing. Never thought I'd see ABC leave, but that's what Disney gets when it tries to keep forcing sports bundles with unrelated nets.

YTTV lets Disney channels go dark, amazing. Never thought I'd see ABC leave, but that's what Disney gets when it tries to keep forcing sports bundles with unrelated nets.

Brilliant move by Disney. I am leaving YTTV for Hulu Live. I'm sure many others will. Disney has 114M subscribers, YTTV has 4M. Disney owns content, YTTV does not. Will be a pain learning a new interface on Hulu, but I get everything I need.

I cut the cable cord years ago. Just use a TV antenna and COX prepaid internet $50/month for 50MBs. Looking to buy a new 65" or 75" next year that has a NextGen TV (ATSC 3.0) tuner to receive 4k broadcasts in my area.

Apart from the above I get Netflix free with my T-Mobile cell line account and have Amazon prime for fast 2 day delivery and access to the Amazon video library. beyond that do lots of streaming using the free Samsung TV+ channels and YouTube.

Last edited:
Sprint based unlimited mobile hotspot plan for $400/year. The big bonus here is that we travel 3-6 months a year by RV or other means so now we are never paying for internet that we're not using and the hotspot has worked great on the road so far.

Combination of Prime Video + Hulu (BF deal) + Pluto/Peacock Free covers us pretty well for content these days for a low monthly total

Is your hotspot plan truly unlimited or is it unlimited but is not high speed after a certain amount of usage each month?

We pay $50 per mo. for ATT rural internet for up to 500GB per mo. and this is more than we need. If it would slow down after say 50GB per month it wouldn't work for us.

Brilliant move by Disney. I am leaving YTTV for Hulu Live. I'm sure many others will. Disney has 114M subscribers, YTTV has 4M. Disney owns content, YTTV does not. Will be a pain learning a new interface on Hulu, but I get everything I need.
We've been VERY happy with Hulu+Live, and lucked into avoiding the Disney/YTTV flap. While Hulu+Live goes up to $69.95/mo in December with the (forced) addition of Disney+ and ESPN+, that's still WAY less than any cable or satellite provider in our area as we have 3 TVs with HD/DVR. Spectrum advertises $44.95/mo here, but it's over $130/mo once they add broadcast fees, HD service, DVRs, etc. - what a joke.

Hulu has a matrix guide and an icon style guide, so I wouldn't think it would be hard to adapt. Best of luck.

Recently cut the last cord (wired internet) and so far so good with a few compromises. We had been internet only with Comcast/Xfinity for ~3 years (and another 5+ in another state before that) with the only alternative being Frontier FiOS which neighbors have complained about more than Comcast even. Our fairly basic 50 mbps service went up from $30 to $70/mo and Comcast wouldn't budge on finding a promo rate so we finally dropped them after doing a 2 month+ test using a Sprint based unlimited mobile hotspot plan for $400/year. The big bonus here is that we travel 3-6 months a year by RV or other means so now we are never paying for internet that we're not using and the hotspot has worked great on the road so far. At home we are able to get ~30 mpbs which works well enough for general use and 1 streaming TV with only a few hiccups so far.

Can you really stream OK on an decent HD TV using just a mobile Hot Spot at 30mpbs? Or do you stream the content on your phone/iPad and then "airplay" or "cast" the video to your TV to watch on a full screen?
Not sure I'd be happy with that level of viewing, but if watching shows isn't a priority and it saves you money, good for you.

Can you really stream OK on an decent HD TV using just a mobile Hot Spot at 30mpbs? Or do you stream the content on your phone/iPad and then "airplay" or "cast" the video to your TV to watch on a full screen?
Not sure I'd be happy with that level of viewing, but if watching shows isn't a priority and it saves you money, good for you.
We streamed (mostly 720p) HD for years on a Comcast 25 mbps service, 2 TVs and assorted tablets/phones, with no problems whatsoever. For HD you only need about 5 mbps per HD stream, it's only when you start using a lot more devices and/or 4K that you will need more bandwidth. Right now there isn't a lot of 4K content, most HD content is still 720p (vs 1080p) so most people would be fine with 30 mbps - they've just been led to believe they need more...
Netflix and other streaming companies say your internet service needs to run at least 5 Mbps for streaming high-definition shows and movies, but that’s sufficient for only one user at a time. As you can see from the chart above, 18 Mbps is really the minimum speed most homes will need for streaming 4K movies and TV shows from Amazon Prime Video and Netflix. (Netflix recommends a 25 Mbps speed for streaming 4K, while Amazon says you’ll need at least 15 Mbps for the highest-quality video.)
https://www.consumerreports.org/bro...least 15 Mbps for the highest-quality video.)

Last edited:
Hulu has a matrix guide and an icon style guide, so I wouldn't think it would be hard to adapt. Best of luck.
Is it customizable? YTTV's can be reordered however you want via the web interface. I've heard that Hulu's can't be. Just being able to specify a few favorites and have them on top would be good enough. Having to scroll through most of the networks to go from ACC network to SEC network (for example) wouldn't sit so well with me.

Is it customizable? YTTV's can be reordered however you want via the web interface. I've heard that Hulu's can't be. Just being able to specify a few favorites and have them on top would be good enough. Having to scroll through most of the networks to go from ACC network to SEC network (for example) wouldn't sit so well with me.
You can't reorder them, but you can create a list of all your favorite networks, and see only those on the guide. We use that more than the other guide options (e.g. all, recents, sports, news, etc.) - although recents is somewhat useful as well as an alternative to "jump" on a remote (last channel). You can't have favorites appear first followed by all other channels, we used that option back when PSV was around.

YTTV and Disney are still negotiating.

At issue is that Google wants MFN status, which locks in rates for long-term.

But really only 4 million subscribers? They might not have the leverage then.

Back
Top Bottom