Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - 2021 version

Getting a taste of what we are missing by not paying for TV services of some kind... Got cable in the cabin we are renting... Spent 30 minutes scanning channels before leaving it on local news since there is nothing on worth watching.

Exactly!

The flip side of this is that you've already seen 80% of the movies on cable and you have no interest in the other 20%. Still, you've got a half hour to kill before bedtime so while looking at the channel guide you see a favorite movie so you flip the channel over to it. Commercials. Then you see another movie you've seen and liked and flip it over to it. Commercials. Repeat for just about anything on cable. When you do get something to watch on cable, just wait five minutes and there will be commercials.

Does anyone have experience with ScreenPix from Amazon? It is $3/month, if you have Prime, and it has a decent collection of old movies. I am looking at how to replace TCM when I drop Sling soon.

HBOMax is offering 40% discounts if you sign up for a yearly plan:

With Ads - $69.99/year (~$5.80/month)

Ad-Free: $104.99/year (~$8.75/month)

Offer runs until the end of October.

If you have an Amex CC you can also get an additional $25 off the ad-free yearly plan.

Thanks for this tip. I'll be signing up for the yearly plan with my AmEx CC in a few months when my special 50% discount rate ends.

Well that's all well and good but now you have nothing fun to spend the 10 bucks on...
It covered 1/2 of tip after nice dinner with GF.

Thanks! Does this pre-date the Disney+ arrangement?

Last edited:
Exactly!

The flip side of this is that you've already seen 80% of the movies on cable and you have no interest in the other 20%. Still, you've got a half hour to kill before bedtime so while looking at the channel guide you see a favorite movie so you flip the channel over to it. Commercials. Then you see another movie you've seen and liked and flip it over to it. Commercials. Repeat for just about anything on cable. When you do get something to watch on cable, just wait five minutes and there will be commercials.
DVR

Thanks for this tip. I'll be signing up for the yearly plan with my AmEx CC in a few months when my special 50% discount rate ends.

May want to verify but those promotions listed for HBOMax may not be around in a few months although it's likely other new ones will pop up. Seems like all streaming services are struggling keeping customers for the long term so promos are more the norm.

^^^ So, just pay for the whole year, to lock it in.

Also, HBOMax and Discovery+ are merging next year into one thing called something like Warner Brothers Discovery. So, you will get HBO stuff and all the Discovery channels, including TCM. I don't think prices have been announced.

so while looking at the channel guide you see a favorite movie so you flip the channel over to it. Commercials. Then you see another movie you've seen and liked and flip it over to it. Commercials. Repeat for just about anything on cable.

OMG.... were you looking in our window:confused:? :LOL:
was jumping between...
Gladiator
Independence Day
Back to the Future II

Peacock just sent me an email for $1.99 monthly offer for 12 months for Peacock Premium. Promotional keyword was september. Not sure if it was keyed to my email account or not. Regular price is $4.99.

Peacock just sent me an email for $1.99 monthly offer for 12 months for Peacock Premium. Promotional keyword was september. Not sure if it was keyed to my email account or not. Regular price is $4.99.
Got it too. It must be a mass mailing for those on their list.

NFL +(plus) $9.99 a month. Full games of all the teams, same day broadcast, just not live.

Mobile only, can't get NFL+ on TVs. And yeah the app checks for HDMI or mirrored connections and won't play if it detects them.

Paramount is trying to fold Showtime into Paramount+ with a bundle deal just announced.

Mobile only, can't get NFL+ on TVs. And yeah the app checks for HDMI or mirrored connections and won't play if it detects them.

Sure you can, if you have a smart TV. I use it. You download the app on the TV you want to use, sign in, sit back and enjoy on the big screen.

Last edited:
NFL +(plus) $9.99 a month. Full games of all the teams, same day broadcast, just not live.
Sure you can, if you have a smart TV. I use it. You download the app on the TV you want to use, sign in, sit back and enjoy on the big screen.
There are two versions of NFL+ with different prices/features.

NFL+:

-- Live local and primetime games on mobile and tablet devices
-- Live out-of-market preseason games across all devices
-- Live game audio (home, away and national calls) for every game of the season
-- $4.99/month or $39.99/year

NFL+ Premium:

-- All features of NFL+
-- Full game replays across all devices (ad-free)
-- Condensed game replays across all devices (ad-free)
-- Coaches Film (ad-free)
-- $9.99/month or $79.99/year

There are two versions of NFL+ with different prices/features.

NFL+:

-- Live local and primetime games on mobile and tablet devices
-- Live out-of-market preseason games across all devices
-- Live game audio (home, away and national calls) for every game of the season
-- $4.99/month or $39.99/year

NFL+ Premium:

-- All features of NFL+
-- Full game replays across all devices (ad-free)
-- Condensed game replays across all devices (ad-free)
-- Coaches Film (ad-free)
-- $9.99/month or $79.99/year
I have the $9.99 a month version. Actually about $10.40 with tax.

Why would anyone pay $80/year for something like this when the NFL season is only about five months

You think that is bad…You don’t even want to know how much I paid for NFL Sunday Direct, ha.

Why would anyone pay $80/year for something like this when the NFL season is only about five months long?

If you’re a NFL geek, they have lots of content outside of the games. I don’t really care about the other stuff though.
I pay by the month and subscribe in Sept, Oct, Nov and Dec, then cancel since January games are on national TV. So I see all the games for $40 ish. Which is less than one Sunday at a sports bar and waaaaay less than Dish.

Last edited:
I am going to add a streaming service for football season but tomorrow's big games are on ABC which I get with my antenna/Tablo and NFL does not start until next week.

I am going to add a streaming service for football season but tomorrow's big games are on ABC which I get with my antenna/Tablo and NFL does not start until next week.

I have to get subscribed to Amazon Prime now just so I can watch NFL Thursday Night Football, ugh.

Thanks for this!

My subscription was to renew yesterday. I went ahead and cancelled after seeing this post and renewed today for a year with the 40% discount.

Back
Top Bottom