Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - 2021 version

They only sent me $5.00. Wonder if my demographic isn't as valued as yours, or something.

Recently got a Dollar from Nielsen for inducement to take their survey, with promise of $10 if I do it.

More deals:

I discovered that T-mobile is offering a year of Paramount+ for free.

Peacock TV is offering a year of Peacock premium for $1.99 a month instead of the normal $4.99 rate.

In both cases if you want no adds you have to subscribe to their more expensive no discounts version.

We signed up for both. I’m interested in the Yellowstone (Montana ranch) series and I’m willing to try it out for $1.99 a month to see if it’s worth it. There are 4 seasons already, and a 5th in the works.

And we turned on the T-Mobile deal because it’s free.

Now we’re back to too much to watch!:facepalm:

Isn’t the Paramount+ from T-Mobile with ads?

I thought about signing up, but can’t handle ads.

Yes, I’m not willing to pay for Paramount. It may end up that we don’t watch any. We’ll see.

Free Apple TV + with T-Mobile.

That was for 1 year but now I heard they're going to offer it indefinitely.

Apple TV + is totally worth $5 a month. Best picture and sound quality and they now have a growing library of good shows.

I haven't watched the movies yet though.

I’d use the T-Mobile deal for Apple TV+, but I already get it in my subscription to Apple One. That’s why I’m curious about the other options.

And I agree that Apple TV+ is worth the cost. Lots of good content.

Youtube TV: 14 days free then $14.99 first month ($50 off). New subscribers only. Expires 9/11 @ 11:59pm PT.

"Offer only available to customers who are not current YouTube TV subscribers, have not been YouTube TV subscribers, and have not participated in a YouTube TV trial previously."

Hulu+Live TV: $49.99/mo ($20 off) first 3 months. Expires 10/5. New and eligible returning subscribers.

Sling TV: 50% off first month. Expiration unknown.

Youtube TV: 14 days free then $14.99 first month ($50 off). New subscribers only. Expires 9/11 @ 11:59pm PT.

"Offer only available to customers who are not current YouTube TV subscribers, have not been YouTube TV subscribers, and have not participated in a YouTube TV trial previously."

Hulu+Live TV: $49.99/mo ($20 off) first 3 months. Expires 10/5. New and eligible returning subscribers.

Sling TV: 50% off first month. Expiration unknown.
Great opportunity for newbies. We cut the cord Feb 2018, so too late for us. :D

Anybody see any deals for Acorn? I would like to sign up for that service for a few months

^^^ If you are a Brit fan (like us), also check out the British collection in Tubi (free). There is a ton of (mostly older) Brit stuff there.

^^^ If you are a Brit fan (like us), also check out the British collection in Tubi (free). There is a ton of (mostly older) Brit stuff there.

Yes, we watch British on Tubi and have had Britbox in the past but there are some shows on Acorn we want to see. We like most British shows better than US

I’d use the T-Mobile deal for Apple TV+, but I already get it in my subscription to Apple One. That’s why I’m curious about the other options.

And I agree that Apple TV+ is worth the cost. Lots of good content.
Yeah we have the Apple family bundle because we use Apple Fitness, News, Music, extra iCloud storage, plus DH watches quite a bit of Apple TV+.

Well, the time has finally come for me. I am officially "cutting the cord" this weekend. My DirecTV bill just soared to over $190/month, after all the deep discounts and credits I negotiated last year finally came to an end. That's the final straw, as I'm no longer interested in doing the negotiation dance with DTV's "customer retention" team.

Going forward, it's just gonna be Netflix, Prime Video, and HBO Max for us, with occasional short-term subscriptions to other services. The only thing I'll truly miss about DTV is the ease of watching NCAA and NFL football, although, TBH, my sports-watching interest has really waned in the past couple years.

Anyway, goodbye satellite TV! :greetings10: It was great back in the halcyon days of the early 2000s, but, alas, all good things must come to an end.

Last edited:
I stopped paying for cable TV back in 2014, and personally I decided not to substitute the expense of streaming services for the expense of cable TV. I do have Amazon Prime for free shipping, but really never watch shows on it.

From 2014 to present, I have saved over $10,000 on my cable bill. :D That has given me a lot of extra $$$ that is available to spend on other fun stuff, like video gaming. :dance:

It's all about what provides us with the greatest value per dollar. For me, cable TV just wasn't doing that. For someone else, it might.

Next, I need to get up the nerve to switch from Cox Cable internet to AT&T Fiber, which recently became available on my block and is cheaper. I've had Cox for 23 years. :eek:

Anybody see any deals for Acorn? I would like to sign up for that service for a few months

We’ve had Acorn for a couple of years now and I don’t recall ever seeing a deal. We like it so much we did start paying by the year which gives a little bit of a discount. I also pay with a credit card that gives an extra % or so cash back for streaming services.

Actually we’re running out of shows on Acorn, not for lack of choices but because we watch so much.

Free Apple TV + with T-Mobile.

That was for 1 year but now I heard they're going to offer it indefinitely.

Apple TV + is totally worth $5 a month. Best picture and sound quality and they now have a growing library of good shows.

I haven't watched the movies yet though.

Oh, good! Where did you hear this? My year of free AppleTV+ ends soon.

Oh, good! Where did you hear this? My year of free AppleTV+ ends soon.

Maybe it's only on their most expensive plans. My free year won't be for almost another year, just started

So will see what happens next fall.

With that in mind, T-Mobile is trying to sweeten the pot a bit more with the addition of free Apple TV Plus. The new perk will be available starting August 31st for customers on the company’s Magenta Max plan.

Thankfully for T-Mobile customers, gaining Apple’s service doesn’t mean giving up Netflix. The carrier will continue to offer its long-running “Netflix on us” deal, which similarly provides free streaming access for as long as you’re a T-Mobile customer. Just keep in mind that the Netflix perk is limited to the basic, standard definition tier for most plans unless you’re on a multi-line Magenta Max plan. Whereas with Apple TV Plus, you’ll get full 4K streaming even on a single-line Max plan.

T-Mobile had previously been offering a free year of Apple TV Plus on many eligible T-Mobile and Sprint plans. But since access will be ongoing for Max customers, that promotion will be halved to six months for other plans like the standard Magenta tier. Aside from Apple TV Plus and Netflix, T-Mobile also offers a free year of Paramount Plus, plus monthly discounts on YouTube TV and Philo TV, both of which are $10 off for one year.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/29/23326888/tmobile-free-apple-tv-plus-magenta-max-announced

I’m only offered 6 months free Apple TV+ with T-Mobile. I’m on one of their pre-Magenta plans, so I’m happy I get anything.

Yeah I won't change my T-Mobile plan, happy with the price I'm paying.

On my Italian trip they gave me 5 GB of high speed data. Didn't last too long but it was a nice surprise. Now they're going to have free wifi on United flights and discount on YouTube TV, which I may subscribe to if I cut the cord on Comcast.

Apple TV + at $5 is a big bargain but there are rumors they may get the NFL Sunday Ticket package. That might be an add on or they may raise prices.

Yeah I won't change my T-Mobile plan, happy with the price I'm paying.

On my Italian trip they gave me 5 GB of high speed data. Didn't last too long but it was a nice surprise. Now they're going to have free wifi on United flights and discount on YouTube TV, which I may subscribe to if I cut the cord on Comcast.

I’m sticking with my older plan too. Luckily I was able to enjoy the high speed data in Europe earlier this year, along with free wifi on Delta flights. I even signed-up for the AAA membership, but not quite sure when I’ll use that.

Apple TV + at $5 is a big bargain but there are rumors they may get the NFL Sunday Ticket package. That might be an add on or they may raise prices.

Would imagine if they do get it it would be an add on, current cost for the package on DTV is ~$300 for the season.

Back
Top Bottom