vBulletin posting limits

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
I realize that vBulletin "upgrades" have a tendency to overwrite previous admin settings, and even to introduce unanticipated limits. So in that spirit of customer appreciation, I have a couple observations.

I used to read every post on this board and visit several times a day to keep up. Now I rarely read more than 20% of the posts, and if I didn't see the names of the more frequent posters who I care about in the "New Posts" summary then I doubt I'd read even that much.

As some of you are keenly aware, I don't have much to say that I haven't already said in the last 17,000 posts over five years. When I do have something new (in my opinion) to say, then it's likely to be a bit more complex than my earlier writings and it's also likely to be a bit more heavily formatted with quotes, links, and other characters.

So when a new poster like TimWalsh300 raises some of the best issues I've read in months (http://www.early-retirement.org/for...o-i-really-need-to-take-47234.html#post873660), and when I spend a couple hours composing a post to address those issues, it's hugely annoying to have vBulletin whine at me that my post has too many characters.

[Really? Gee, Nords. Then if you have that much to say then maybe you should write a book. Hmmmm...]

I'd be more sympathetic if vBulletin's whining was effective-- but it's not. All I had to do was break one post into two consecutive posts. vBulletin's complaint didn't stop spam or optimize server storage or minimize database size or improve response speed or significantly change my behavior. All vBulletin's posting limit really managed to do was to piss me off.

I had the same posting-limit problem with my "Recommended reading list" post a couple months ago, and vBulletin's formatting may have broken some of those links. I had a huge problem in the social group with even more constrictive posting limits.

So I don't know whose idea it was to set posting limits, vBulletin's or some well-intentioned admin's, but it ain't workin' for the customers. And if vBulletin "upgrades" are doing this to your settings, then I'd be a bit annoyed with the open-source programmers who are taking such an inconsiderate design approach. Good programmers are supposed to avoid limits, not impose them.

I think it's reasonable to do away with posting limits. If one or two posters put up 20,000-character posts by copying magazine articles or by over-quoting other posters, then moderators can take care of the isolated issues when they pop up.

The unintended consequence of muzzling a potential H0cu$ is the risk of driving away the posters who can effectively address complex issues.

Besides, I don't think the new posters are coming here just to read the ads.

The unintended consequence of muzzling a potential H0cu$ is the risk of driving away the posters who can effectively address complex issues.
Sweet talking works like a charm every time...

This has been changed and you now have 25,000 characters before the vBulletin gong sounds.:flowers:

Sweet talking works like a charm every time...

This has been changed and you now have 25,000 characters before the vBulletin gong sounds.:flowers:

Janet I think you missed a few digits. Here's the error I just got on the same thread Nords was referencing:
clear.gif

The following errors occurred with your submission:
  1. The text that you have entered is too long (3469 characters). Please shorten it to 25 characters long.

Nords,

Some members might have phrased your request along the lines of:

Hey, I have a problem with the forum posting limits. I tend to be [-]wordy[/-] [-]verbose[/-] [-]long-winded[/-] [-]loquacious[/-] (see above) and would appreciate you taking a look at removing or at least expanding the limit. Thanks.
Should we attribute your Navy "you catch more flies using septic sludge than honey" training for your approach to this issue? Or did the boss lady make you sleep on the couch again last night? :D :cool:

Janet I think you missed a few digits. Here's the error I just got on the same thread Nords was referencing:
clear.gif

1. The text that you have entered is too long (3469 characters). Please shorten it to 25 characters long.
I did and it's been fixed. It truncated after the comma.. 25,000 to 25000. Guess vBulletin developers count the same way my local annuity salesman does :)

Should we attribute your Navy "you catch more flies using septic sludge than honey" training for your approach to this issue? Or did the boss lady make you sleep on the couch again last night? :D :cool:
All y'all are welcome to walk a mile in my shoes, including spending an hour or two on that last post and several days on the "Recommended reading" post. It was a lot of fun having to break up the social group post too.

It's becoming apparent that the vBulletin "features" are sneaking far more arbitrary limits past everyone, and they seem to overwrite whatever settings were in the previous version of the software. I'd be more supportive of them if they served a freakin' purpose and weren't so easily circumvented...

All y'all are welcome to walk a mile in my shoes, including spending an hour or two on that last post and several days on the "Recommended reading" post. It was a lot of fun having to break up the social group post too...

Before this conversation deteriorates completely, just let me say that I, for one, appreciate (in every sense of that word) your contributions to this Forum. I would be very disappointed if this issue wasn't resolved to your satisfaction.

I know that we all have our personal preferences. I ran into this issue when I was doing the health insurance FAQ. I only recall having the issue come up one other time for me but I no longer can remember the post. The one thing that I did not like was not knowing when I was up against the limit--it made it harder to plan. However, I do think that breaking the post into three separate sections made it more readable.

I understand the need for some limit so that some spammer or bad guy doesn't come in and dump a million characters on us.

I did and it's been fixed. It truncated after the comma.. 25,000 to 25000. Guess vBulletin developers count the same way my local annuity salesman does :)
Either that or from a country where the comma is the "decimal point" instead of a separator for thousands.

clear.gif

Who needs those long-winded Twitter posts of 140 characters! Think of the posts we'd see:

"Retirement good."

"Make my wife work."

"I love RVs."

And Andy could sell the forums for a bazillion dollars to Google.

Who needs those long-winded Twitter posts of 140 characters! Think of the posts we'd see:

"Retirement good."

"Make my wife work."

"I love RVs."

And think of the heated discussions!

"No mortgage".

"Other people's money!"

"Expenditures down."

Or,

"No credit card."

"5% off purchases!"

"Simple is better."

"Retirement good."

"Make my wife work."

"I love RVs."

Basically you just described my whole line of thinking with those 3 quotations above. Words to live by. Maybe this forum change would be a good thing. :LOL:

Me a man. Me keep things simple.:blush:

You know who would do well on twitter? Uncle Mick:

My Curmudgeon certificate says - when in doubt cut expenses. As in really cut - and watch out for divorce lawyers. :D

Before this conversation deteriorates completely, just let me say that I, for one, appreciate (in every sense of that word) your contributions to this Forum. I would be very disappointed if this issue wasn't resolved to your satisfaction.
+1 Short enough?

I yield the balance of my characters to the gentleman from Oahu...

"you catch more flies using septic sludge than honey"

Shouldn't that be "radioactive septic sludge"?

All y'all are welcome to walk a mile in my shoes

You wear shoes?

I'd be more supportive of them if they served a freakin' purpose and weren't so easily circumvented...

Circumventing is half the fun!

Btw, Nords, I appreciate the value you add to this board. Please don't pull a bunny...

All y'all are welcome to walk a mile in my shoes, including spending an hour or two on that last post and several days on the "Recommended reading" post.
Then we'd be a mile away from you, and we'd have your shoes.

Back
Top Bottom