What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the tree guys take down 2 big trees. One a giant dead cottonwood that just started dropping limbs near my workshop. The other a splitting twin trunk cherry tree that dangerously leaned over my workshop. I'm having the cherry tree made into lumber for future woodworking projects.

Spent a couple of hours with a neighbor yesterday, helping her sort through a problem with AT&T. A very sad situation, they are both in their 80's. A couple of years ago he came home from some local errands and said he had forgotten how to drive home. Three years later he suffers from advanced Alzheimer's and now resides in a memory care unit. An incredibly fast decline.

A couple of years ago he came home from some local errands and said he had forgotten how to drive home.

A year after my late wife died I visited some older friends, (both of whom have subsequently passed), in San Luis Obispo.

Since I was having problems with the 5th wheel he drove me to a local RV outfit to set up an appointment, and also arranged to follow me there with my rig in the afternoon, so as to be able to take me back to their place if I had to leave it.

I was keeping an eye on him in my side views and saw him unexpectedly turn off.

He went home.

Later that afternoon his wife asked him if he shouldn't be heading to the RV dealer to pick me up......he apparently got quite perturbed and told her emphatically that "He hadn't been out of the house all day!"

Now my late wife's mother has it, and DW's mom appears to be heading down the same path.

Sad, and frightening.

My niece came to visit, my late brother's daughter. We haven't been close over the years and it was awesome to visit with her.

She's running her 29th trail race this season, her goal is 47 for the 6 month season!

Went to the farmers' market early today - said goodbye to one of my favorite farm families who have decided it's time to give it up. Picked up lots of squash, a melon, potatoes (white and sweet), tomatoes, okra, onions, and peppers. Now that we've had two weeks where it has been above 100 nearly every day (105 today), the crops are going to tail off until the "second season" starts, hopefully in mid-September. So we'll enjoy the bounty while it lasts.

Too darn hot to do anything but stay in the A/C the rest of the day, so I finished a book, brushed the dog, and worked on my photos from Peru. Now it's time to figure out what to fix for dinner with all the yummy produce!

We started our backyard reno! First we dug out and moved some rock and then I helped my DH start taking the deck apart. We are getting everything ready to put in a pool next year, a life long dream for both of us.

We started our backyard reno! First we dug out and moved some rock and then I helped my DH start taking the deck apart. We are getting everything ready to put in a pool next year, a life long dream for both of us.

I went to the Iowa State Fair one summer about 40 years ago while visiting my sister. It was really hot. She still lives in Iowa. A pool makes perfect sense there!

I went to the Iowa State Fair one summer about 40 years ago while visiting my sister. It was really hot. She still lives in Iowa. A pool makes perfect sense there!

Yes, we live close to the fairgrounds and it does get warm here in the summer and cold in the winter!!

Mowed the yard for the first time in weeks due to the recent lack of rain until yesterday. Worked out at gym (proud to be keeping it up). Found out there are some nice walking trails nearby so I did a couple of miles. Best thing is that they are next to the new Ballast Point brewery so I'm on my second beer now.

First Flight

I took my son and 2 grandsons up for their first flight. They really enjoyed it, and I made First Flight Certificates for both of them.

Attachments

• IMG_20170730_121956.jpg
    IMG_20170730_121956.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20170730_121501-1.jpg
    IMG_20170730_121501-1.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 33
Gym day today, then went out to a late lunch at Outback with DW to celebrate 29 years of wedded bliss.:dance: The location was her choice.

Oh, and first day back online after a week with no internet service. We were reduced to reading books and watching TV. We didn't realize how integral online access had become in daily life until it went away.

Flew back from Atlanta today. We went down Friday night for a wedding yesterday evening. It was a beautiful black tie event, filled with beautiful and very nice people. I bought a tuxedo just for the occasion. And, best of all, I got to see my oldest and best friend (his daughter was the bride). Saturday morning, we visited the High Art Museum and saw a big Andy Warhol exhibit, as well as their permanent collection. I highly recommend it for anyone visiting Atlanta.

I put the boat motor back together after cleaning out what a family of mice left behind. I also got my new gun safe inside the house. I still need to get the rubber mats and bolt it down but that will have to wait until next weekend.

Went to see "The Big Sick" yesterday. Very entertaining.

Flew back from Atlanta today. We went down Friday night for a wedding yesterday evening. It was a beautiful black tie event, filled with beautiful and very nice people. I bought a tuxedo just for the occasion...

Allright! I bought a tux for my daughter's wedding 2 years ago. Don't know when I will have the next occasion to wear it, but never regret spending that money.

They say "Clothes make the man", and it is true. I felt more confident, walked around like a million bucks, and gave a hell of a toast. Almost made me wish I had a 2nd daughter to marry off.

Make sure you go to Four Roses! So much better now than the rotgut they made when they were part of Seagram's.

We did go to Four Roses . . . very nice tour and very nice bourbon. Here's a pic of the bourbon glass we got picked up there. We did see all ten distilleries on the Bourbon Trail and earned our Kentucky Bourbon Trail tee shirt. Woo hoo!!!
Image1501535412.687794.jpg

Mowed the yard for the first time in weeks due to the recent lack of rain until yesterday. Worked out at gym (proud to be keeping it up). Found out there are some nice walking trails nearby so I did a couple of miles. Best thing is that they are next to the new Ballast Point brewery so I'm on my second beer now.

Opposite problem here. Today was the first day without any rain in a long time. We got a few drops, but not really rain. I washed down the lower part of the house for the third time. It should be dry enough to paint tomorrow if it doesn't rain between now and then.

Disassembled our ATA 300 pet crate and checked to see if it would fit in the back of the plane. It did (whew).
We will be flying a patient and her mother to Hanford, CA on an Angel Flight, then picking up a rescue doberman pup on a Pilots & Paws flight back to our home airport.
I love being able to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Attachments

• ATA300crate.JPG
    ATA300crate.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 30
Yesterday I forgot one of my own rules: "never hold anything breakable in my left hand"; I think I have cleaned up all the glass.

Yesterday I forgot one of my own rules: "never hold anything breakable in my left hand"; I think I have cleaned up all the glass.

Hope you didn't get cut.

How is the house coming along? So exciting.:D

About 2 months ago I posted a pic of a black field that had just been planted. This is that field of wheat today, I would guess that in about 7 days the harvest will begin; Grain first then row crops (beans, potatoes, corn, and sugar beets) the whole thing will take about 2 months.

Attachments

• 20170801_112013.jpg
    20170801_112013.jpg
    813.8 KB · Views: 32
This morning DH and I went to the local bank branch to cash over 200 EE savings bonds[emoji50]. Back in the early '90s, we used payroll deductions to automatically buy bonds for each of us and the DDs. We thought we would use them for college tuition but when the time came we used other funds.

After normal morning routines, decided to tackle a "big ugly chore" each day since it's a slow week for scheduled activities and too hot for an RV trip. Today's chore was cleaning the range hood. Yuck!

After cleaning up the kitchen and myself, went to Target to buy a baby shower gift and some items that our normal grocery doesn't carry. Spent the rest of the afternoon catching up online and researching potential new areas to volunteer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom