What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
If any of you retired engineers or tinkerers can come up with a device that would allow me to safely tow another bike and rider when the rider gives up, I would be eternally grateful and the owner would pay you.

I'm not an engineer but I think a cattle prod might work.

Went to the prosthodontist for an estimate.
Going back tomorrow for expensive procedure starting with a root canal. Then 8 weeks to heal, then crowns installed.
Aging sucks moose balls.

Went to the prosthodontist for an estimate.
Going back tomorrow for expensive procedure starting with a root canal. Then 8 weeks to heal, then crowns installed.
Aging sucks moose balls.
Sounds expensive! I hope it isn't too painful.

I think the biggest surprise in my retirement expenses, has been the increase in dental bills compared with when I was younger. They inspired me to start this thread a while back.

Went out on the deck this morning intending to grill some marinated chicken. Took the cover off the grill and when I opened the lid there was a mouse on the grill. Yuck. Then I noticed the nest in one corner. Double yuck. (It's been quite a while since I used the grill.) I clean that out and find that three of the five burners will not light, and since the grill is at least ten years old and stuff is starting to rust out pretty good I give up and decide to go to Lowes and get whatever is on sale.

I got kind of carried away when I bought the old grill - stainless steel, five burners, a searing thingy on one end that I never once used, and on the other end there's a burner for heating a pot, never used that either. I found out those five burners go through a can of propane pretty quick! So the new one is an el cheapo Char-Broil basic three burner grill that, if I keep it covered, hopefully will last maybe five years. It seems to cook marinated chicken breasts just fine.

It was a bear getting that old grill out to the curb for trash pickup tomorrow, that was another incentive to keep the new grill small and light.

It was a bear getting that old grill out to the curb for trash pickup tomorrow, that was another incentive to keep the new grill small and light.
But just think, some roaming metal scavenger is in 7th heaven by now! :LOL: (When I put my old el-cheapo outdoor grill to the curb 5-10 years ago, it was gone within an hour.)

But just think, some roaming metal scavenger is in 7th heaven by now! :LOL: (When I put my old el-cheapo outdoor grill to the curb 5-10 years ago, it was gone within an hour.)

Probably not. We live at the end of a court within a development and pretty much the only traffic is residents or someone who got lost. But one time we did put out an old couch for pickup and somebody did grab that before the trash truck arrived. So if a metal scavenger snags it, more power to him!

Soldering up my Elekit TU8600 amplifier.

28851627777_b5f3926fdc_o.jpg

I got home safely after a 2-month Alaska trip. A lot more excitement (meaning stress) on this trip than the longer trip to the Canadian Maritimes I did 2 years ago, from the US Southwest.

The difference was due to the road conditions, but of course one is rewarded by unparalleled sceneries. Rugged mountains, uncountable beautiful lakes and streams, glacier galore, etc...

I am about 40% of the way to Fairbanks. Could not drive very fast with a motorhome pulling a car.

And will slow down even more in the days ahead for sightseeing, as I am in new territories now.

Put up some pictures, if you have a chance and the bandwidth.:)

What little Internet access I got from my T-Mobile got severely crimped once I got to the Yukon, then cut off completely some time when I was in Alaska.

T-Mobile sent an SMS saying "Sorry but unlimited data access does not apply here in the wild wild northwest".

It appears wireless bandwidth is very precious there, and T-Mobile could not get roaming agreement with the local wireless providers. At the end, I didn't even have any access, voice or data. The service did not resume until I got back to the US.

So, late in the trip I had to look for Visitor Info Centers or public libraries to get data access for travel info, such as ferry schedules and gas station locations, etc...

NW-Bound >>> I had to chuckle a little when you said 40% of the way to Alaska. LOL It seems we always use percent even when we talk about others things then money as well.

I hope you can add a few pictures from time to time. Have a great trip.

See my problem with Internet access above. And even if I had access, I would not have the time to post. So much to do, and so much to see...

In a few days, I will sort through the photos I took, and hopefully got something good to entertain y'all in a separate thread.

On the way home, after a 2-month trip to Alaska. Still about 1,000 miles to go.

In Spokane, had to get 4 new rear tires for the motorhome. Only 2 were badly damaged, and two were still decent, but aw, what the heck. The tires on the toad are all worn out, but should last till home. Gravel roads are tough on tires.

Wondered where you were....afraid something (deadly) had happened to you. Keep On Truckin'.

Deadly? Like getting trampled by a moose? Mauled by a bear? Falling down a glacier crevasse? Got sucked dry by the infamous Alaska mosquitoes? Driving off the side of the mountain when traversing the "Top of the World" Highway?

Well, I managed to survive these perils, and am safely home in apparently the same health condition when I left.

Can't say the same about my two vehicles, the motorhome and the toad. Both will require some work.

But despite this, I am so glad that you made the trip to Alaska! I know that for quite some time you dreamed about making a long trip northwest in your motor home. Making our dreams come true are kind of what retirement is all about, or can be, IMO. (Thinking of my Dream Home as I type this).

I have often said that I do not have a bucket list. But I do like to travel, and RV'ing to Alaska was indeed something that I wanted to do.

Could have stayed longer, if my wife did not have to go home to look after her mother. Also if my vehicles held up.

Had I stayed longer till the end of August, would be able to see foliage change, pick wild berries, see the Northern Lights, etc...

Having been in Fairbanks on the Summer Solstice, I told my wife I wanted to be there on the Winter Solstice to complete the experience. She said to go ahead without her.

Last edited:
Yup. The best of both worlds!

DD required me to send her a picture of me in my tux to prove that it still fit:

AMIXjaJ.jpg

Actually looks a little big on you. How long ago did you have it sized?

Wrecked my car by hitting a carport type pole . My car was a crash virgin. What the heck...life is good .

Went with GF to the Icelandic Festival...about an hour north of the city. Gimli has the largest Icelandic population in the world outside of Iceland. When out there popped in to visit my brother who lives 10 minutes from there, and GF's former co-worker who live in the town.

We were luckier than USA on the drive home at midnight...I narrowly missed hitting a deer on the highway.

We’re on a.beautiful beach in Falmouth, Cornwall, England with our grown up kids and our delightful new grandson. Enjoying the exceptional summer weather we are having in Britain.

Retirement is great!

Went with GF to the Icelandic Festival...about an hour north of the city. Gimli has the largest Icelandic population in the world outside of Iceland. When out there popped in to visit my brother who lives 10 minutes from there, and GF's former co-worker who live in the town.

We were luckier than USA on the drive home at midnight...I narrowly missed hitting a deer on the highway.

Narrowly missing a deer seems to be a daily occurrence for me lately. I locked up all four wheels to keep from hitting a fawn this morning on the way to church...

Flew and Angel Flight in Southern Calif. Unfortunately, a plane crashed near the airport about a half hour before we got there. We were routed far away from the crash site before we could land.

Yesterday was a crab feast at DW's brother's house. Great to see a lot of family we hadn't seen for a while and to gleefully ignore all and any dietary advice. I also had a chance to talk to a new family member (she married in) who is from Venezuela, been in this country full time about a year and a half and is applying for citizenship. Very sad to hear first-hand stories about what is going on there, among other things her mother died there because she couldn't obtain the drugs necessary to keep her alive.

Hit the snooze button a couple times at 8:30, then made coffee. Had coffee with the pups out on the back deck over looking the marsh, reading e-mails until the shade faded and the hot sun got us (2nd 95 degree day in New England, but I am NOT complaining). Put on boots, got the brush cutter, chain saw and ATV and went out on the acreage to clear and stack some more dead pine saplings. Lasted about an hour in the heat. Put stuff away, came inside ant heated up some left overs for lunch, checked e-mail. Put boots back on (queue: dogs spinning and barking, noting that it is time for our usual after lunch ritual), went to one of our towns many land trust/conservation areas and walked 1.35mi on a 19:05 mi pace (usually walk much more but our older pup is a Border Collie with heavy coat and the heat really gets to him). Came home, changed T shirt (4th one today), "cleaned up a bit", hopped in my 1957 VW Beetle and went down to the local service shop and smirked watching the owner trying to put in reverse to put it in the bay for annual inspection. Then went over to town hall (nearly across the street, our town population is 3100) and purchased next years trash pickup contract (yes, small town, we have to pay $300/yr). Came home, took another spin on the ATV to the point of our property, watched a huge blue heron fly off from the marsh. Measured the height of the RV trailer as I was looking at parks in Allegheny National forest last night and one warned "only accessible to vehicles/campers 10" and less in height, and realized I didn't really know what the height was. Planning a 12 day trip out to WI and back over Memorial day and will stop a couple nights in ANF to camp and hike methinks. (9' 8", I'm good, will make a label with those numbers and stick it on the dash of the truck). Came in the house, cleaned up the kitchen, made the bed, the usual "housework that keeps the DW who is still working happy" stuff. Packed my Racquetball bag and headed off to the health club, played doubles for 2 solid hours, GOOD games and felt GREAT. Back home driving through a great summer thunderstorm..... then heated up more leftovers and ate dinner. Surfed the web for a deal on a good day pack, anticipating great fall hiking ahead....

That's about it for today. 56 years old, 1.5yrs FIRE'ed, life is good...

Waiting for 12:00 to fly out of HCM City. tried ordering breakfast room service, guy at the front desk says “don’t speak English” so I go down and order, I point to what I want and the order comes up totally F’d up, I’m ready to get out of this place, had enough of Vietnam, never coming back

Waiting for 12:00 to fly out of HCM City. tried ordering breakfast room service, guy at the front desk says “don’t speak English” so I go down and order, I point to what I want and the order comes up totally F’d up, I’m ready to get out of this place, had enough of Vietnam, never coming back

Your post reminded me of something I read decades ago, and of course could now find it on the internets. Read the "Room Serive" replies with a thick Vietnamese accent (the original text was from a guy traveling in Vietnam and trying to order breakfast. I always thought it was hilarious....)

Room Service:
"Morny. Ruin sorbees"
Guest:
"Sorry, I thought I dialed room-service"
Room Service:
"Rye..Ruin sorbees..morny! Djewish to odor sunteen??"
Guest:
"Uh..yes..I'd like some bacon and eggs"
Room Service:
"Ow July den?"
Guest:
"What??"
Room Service:
"Ow July den?...pry,boy, pooch?"
Guest:
"Oh, the eggs! How do I like them? Sorry, scrambled please."
Room Service:
"Ow July dee bayhcem...crease?"
Guest:
"Crisp will be fine."
Room Service:
"Hokay. An San toes?"
Guest:
"What:confused:"
Room Service:
"San toes. July San toes?"
Guest:
"Uhh... I don't think so"
Room Service:
"No? Judo one toes??"
Guest:
"I feel really bad about this, but I don't know what 'judo one toes' means."
Room Service:
"Toes! toes!...why djew Don Juan toes? Ow bow singlish mopping we bother?"
Guest:
"Oh, English muffin!! I've got it! You were saying 'Toast.' Fine." Yes, an English muffin will be fine."
Room Service:
"We bother?"
Guest:
"No. Just put the bother on the side."
Room Service:
"Wad?"
Guest:
"I mean butter...just put it on the side."
Room Service:
"Copy?"
Guest:
"Sorry:confused:"
Room Service:
"Copy...tea...mill?"
Guest:
"Yes. Coffee please, and that's all."
Room Service:
"One Minnie. Ass ruin torino fee, strangle ache, crease baychem, tossy singlish mopping we bother honey sigh, and copy....rye??"
Guest:
"Whatever you say."
Room Service:
"Tendjewberrymud."
Guest:
"You're welcome."

You should have been there 50 years ago. Worst room service I ever had.:LOL:

Your post reminded me of something I read decades ago, and of course could now find it on the internets. Read the "Room Serive" replies with a thick Vietnamese accent (the original text was from a guy traveling in Vietnam and trying to order breakfast. I always thought it was hilarious....)

If I stayed here just one more day I swear I think I’d go Viet Cong on someone here, between the traffic, the continuous honking motorcycle horns and now the front desk I have had enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom