What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was outside most of yesterday during the heat and it was hot again today...37C (99F) with a humidex of 45 (113F)...

Whoa! The high humidity makes it worse than Phoenix at 111F humidex.

And people make fun of the dry heat. Beats wet heat anytime.

Painted the closet under the stairs to clean it up before installing the laminate flooring (continuation from the hallway). Our original plan was to leave the carpet in the closet, so we wouldn’t have to mess with moving the water softener. But we decided to do it correctly rather than cringe every time we looked at it.

Just spent the evening listening to the EMS scanner and hitting “refresh” on Facebook and the local newspaper website, seeking news on a rescue effort nearby. A group of 200 girls from a summer camp went rafting today, and only 55 were accounted for at the end of the trip. They were with a commercial outfitter on the river I guide on, but not with the company I work for.. I just read that all have been found alive, so I can go to bed.

When I first saw the story, my first fear was that it was our company because we often run trips for large camp groups. After the initial relief of seeing photos of rafts that belong to the other company, I was still too worried to relax. I kept thinking of all the things that could go wrong. The section of river they were rafting is relatively mild at normal levels, but the water rose very quickly this afternoon. At the higher level it’s likely that the girls were unable to control the rafts in the current. Even with life jackets, swift-moving water is dangerous.

It was a scary night for the customers and the local river guide community.

Pulled the a/c clutch coil off the a/c compressor in my truck. I replaced the a/c compressor, dryer and condenser a cpl weeks ago. Worked great until the clutch coil went "open circuit". Glad I still had the coil off the old compressor to get it back working. It was 101f Sat and 95f Sun. Had to build the puller tool to get the coil off. No one had a puller I could rent or buy.

Was moving a car load from the old house to the new house on Friday and was eating a popsicle due to the heat. Bit down on the stick by accident and broke my front centre crown off... :facepalm:
Went to the dentist this morning, broken piece in hand all hopeful for a quick fix.... dentist said, Nope. Gotta be replaced. $1200. Shall I start now ?
Bugger.
Needles, drills, files and pliers. 45 minutes later he'd whittled it down to the screw and I looked like a hockey player. He put a temporary plastic veneer on and I have to go back in 4 weeks to get the replacement crown.
Damn popsicles.

Had the replacement crown cemented in yesterday. In and out in 20 minutes. No needle and only a modicum of drilling...

Looks good and feels great. Even better, final bill only came to $950

:dance:

Had the replacement crown cemented in yesterday. In and out in 20 minutes. No needle and only a modicum of drilling...

Looks good and feels great. Even better, final bill only came to $950

:dance:

Terrific! And that sounds like a very good deal on a new crown. No more popsicles though! :D

I'm leaving tomorrow with my GF on a week long trip (driving) to visit her sister 850 kms away, so today I cut the lawn, watered plants inside and out, cleaned the inside of my car, checked all the fluids and tires, and loaded my phone with an updated song list.

I swam eight laps—200 yards—for the first time in probably 30 years. It was really hard.

It will get easier and good for you !

Indeed. DW, (known by some at the community pool as 'The Little Swimming Lady'), does 1 km (1,093.61 yards) 3-4 times a week.

I used to swim 50 laps (2.5 km) twice a week, but that was 10 years ago. If I recall correctly, it took me about 3 months to build up to that. The first week I only managed to do about 8 laps.

I didn’t learn to swim til I was 13 and haven’t ever been really comfortable with it, although I was a pool lifeguard in high school and college (for small apartment complex pools)—I think the most I built up to was 30 lengths. DH routinely swims a mile and our kids swam for their high school so maybe I expect them to save me now:LOL:

I practically lived in the water as a kid, both beach and pools. Learned to swim and walk at the same time. I remember as a boy scout swimming the mile swim 3 times one day. When I started swimming again at age 55 after a long break, I was only able to swim about 500 meters the first day. No wind, and weak arms. But I was back up to a mile within a few weeks. Technique comes back quickly, and endurance a bit more slowly.

I wish I had a place to swim easily available now. Actually, that's an excuse. I do, but I don't like sharing lanes. When I'm in FL I occasionally go out into the Gulf and swim a quarter mile or so. That's pretty hard. I'm usually bushed after that. I keep thinking about one of those endless pools, but I'm just not sure it would be fun.

Yesterday I decided to move some of our artworks around the house. I decided a few weeks ago that I no longer enjoy seeing the very large print of a rustic scene that has hung over my dresser for more than 10 years (and over the piano for 20 years before that). So I moved it to the guest room and moved the large oil painting of a Mediterranean scene that was over the piano to replace it. 24 hours later and DH still hasn't noticed. :facepalm: Moved the western landscape photograph from the guest room to the front hall, the lake scene canvas print from the front hall to the back hall, and a mixed media of red poppies that was my parents' from the back hall to over the piano. It's nice to change things up a bit.

Flushed the radiator on my generator today. Didn’t know what was in the fluid, but apparently the additives that they add to antifreeze breakdown and turn into a gel. Yuck. I’m flushing it today and I’m going to run it a few times before I drain it. I might do another flush tomorrow depending on what the liquid looks like and what I see (hopefully nothing) in the top of the radiator.

Hasn't noticed, or hasn't seen fit to comment? ;)

Truly didn't notice (even though I told him I was moving stuff around). When I asked him, he said he hadn't paid attention. He went in to check it out and decided he likes it there. Good thing because I wasn't planning to move it back!

Flushed the radiator on my generator today. Didn’t know what was in the fluid, but apparently the additives that they add to antifreeze breakdown and turn into a gel.

I hope that works for you. A mechanic told me that if that happens in your car, sell the car right away because you'll never get all the gel out. Hopefully a smaller less complicated engine is different.

I hope that works for you. A mechanic told me that if that happens in your car, sell the car right away because you'll never get all the gel out. Hopefully a smaller less complicated engine is different.

Yeah, it seems pretty nasty. I hope your mechanic was wrong, but it does seem to be more stubborn than I would have thought. I’ve ran the generator twice for 20 minutes (10 min recommend for a basic flush, hours of driving recommend for a real cleaning) an there is still a lot of it. It does seem to be breaking apart though. Will cross my fingers. Thankfully there’s nothing like a heater core.

Worked in the yard for a hour and then filled my car with stuff for thrift store after cleaning out walk in closet. Now I have lots of room in there. Also did some cleaning. Now I am tired:))

Decided to go up to our high-country home, and 2-1/2 hours later we are here enjoying the cooler air at 7,000 ft.

My wife pointed out several juniper trees about 1/2 dead from the drought. Looks like it rained recently as the other stronger trees are greening up nicely. I hope it is not too late for the sick trees. It takes a long time for these trees to grow. I have had this home for 10 years, and even the strong ones grow perhaps 2 ft in that time. It is sad to lose trees that are easily 100-year-old.

DW and I went to the botanical garden today and walked a lot, about 12k total. Went to the theatre festival and saw a show in the evening. Was a lovely day! This is why I retireded early!

Flushed the radiator on my generator today. Didn’t know what was in the fluid, but apparently the additives that they add to antifreeze breakdown and turn into a gel. Yuck. I’m flushing it today and I’m going to run it a few times before I drain it. I might do another flush tomorrow depending on what the liquid looks like and what I see (hopefully nothing) in the top of the radiator.
Don't know if this is the same problem you have, but I recently learned that there are different kinds of antifreeze, and mixing them causes the gelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom