What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the gym this morning, and was thinking of getting my second Shingrix shot on the way home, but I chickened out. I had a slight headache from the wine we drank last night, and decided to get the shot on a day when I feel 100%. The first shot gave me flu-like symptoms, and I've heard the second shot can be the worse of the two.

Came home and made a small batch of kimchi. Want to make some sauerkraut next, soon as I get an airlock lid for the fermentation jar.

Moving lights

We have a set of motion sensor lights on the side of the house. When DW BBQ's they will not stay on, which is a PITA.
So, I have a 3 step fix:
1. Remove the sensor lights and replace with a single flood.
2. Remove the single light switch in the shed and replace it with a double switch, one for the shed lights, and one for the sensor light.

3. Install the sensor light on the shed and wire it to the switch box
Got 1 and 2 done today. Item 3 awaits DW's request to place the light in a certain spot. Depending on the location of the wall stud, I think it is doable..

Adjusting to our 'new normal' - 3 drivers, 1 car. (Sold one last week, then DH's accident on Saturday took out another.)

Unfortunately, the insurance company has not deemed it the other drivers fault yet, so no rental car yet. (He ran a red light - but it will be at least 3-5 more days before the police report is available.) This means I've gone back to mom-taxi... taking son to school, work, etc.

Hopefully they will get it straightened out tomorrow. Other driver admitted fault at scene, witnesses confirmed it was other driver's fault. Yet we are out a useable, but ancient truck. Our insurance is no help since you don't put collision on a 95 pickup. Fortunately, DH is feeling much better... able to manage the sore neck/ribs/etc with ibuprofin.

We did go car shopping yesterday. After we'd sold the other old truck last week we'd decided DH would get a new car. Test drove the forester (I have a forester), the CR-V and the Rav4. Rav4 is in the lead for dh's pick.

We're hoping to fix the dodge truck even if the insurance company totals it. The frame wasn't bent and you can order the bumper and front fenders online. It will likely have a salvage title but will be functional and allow son to get to work.

Adjusting to our 'new normal' - 3 drivers, 1 car. (Sold one last week, then DH's accident on Saturday took out another.)

Unfortunately, the insurance company has not deemed it the other drivers fault yet, so no rental car yet. (He ran a red light - but it will be at least 3-5 more days before the police report is available.) This means I've gone back to mom-taxi... taking son to school, work, etc.

Hopefully they will get it straightened out tomorrow. Other driver admitted fault at scene, witnesses confirmed it was other driver's fault. Yet we are out a useable, but ancient truck. Our insurance is no help since you don't put collision on a 95 pickup. Fortunately, DH is feeling much better... able to manage the sore neck/ribs/etc with ibuprofin.

We did go car shopping yesterday. After we'd sold the other old truck last week we'd decided DH would get a new car. Test drove the forester (I have a forester), the CR-V and the Rav4. Rav4 is in the lead for dh's pick.

We're hoping to fix the dodge truck even if the insurance company totals it. The frame wasn't bent and you can order the bumper and front fenders online. It will likely have a salvage title but will be functional and allow son to get to work.
Glad to hear he's ok. Back and neck injuries often take some time to show, so he should remain vigilant.

If the insurance co totals the car, don't thy keep it and sell it for parts?

Glad to hear he's ok. Back and neck injuries often take some time to show, so he should remain vigilant.

If the insurance co totals the car, don't thy keep it and sell it for parts?

We've talked to the autobody shop that it's sitting at. (Police officer insisted we tow it.) He says we can buy it back. It will likely have a salvage title - which precludes financing or insuring for collision... but we should still be able to insure for liability. It's about $1000 worth of parts to get it back in shape. DH is looking at this as a project with the sons. DH is sentimental about this truck - bought it new in 95. Prior to being hit it ran perfectly, but had faded paint. New brakes 2 weeks ago. Had new belts and some other work 2 weeks prior to that. It was running better than ever. In theory, replacing the bumper, hood, and front fender will bring it back to reliable and functional.

Our tenant is even more upset it got hit... He called the truck 'a legend'...

Posted this in the wrong thread - repost here

:blush:

Small 8:00 PM update on my hip replacement adventure:

1. Still in hospital (will overnight and go home tomorrow after PT exercise class)

2. Walked the length of the corridor (250' est) with walker.

3. Ate dinner of blackened whitefish, rice and steamed veggies. It was very good.

4. Taking a pain pill every 4 hours, but pain is 3/10. I'm sure it will get worse after the 24 hour nerve block wears out tomorrow. Time will tell.

5. Watching the Monday Night football game and poking around here!

:blush:

Small 8:00 PM update on my hip replacement adventure:

1. Still in hospital (will overnight and go home tomorrow after PT exercise class)

2. Walked the length of the corridor (250' est) with walker.

3. Ate dinner of blackened whitefish, rice and steamed veggies. It was very good.

4. Taking a pain pill every 4 hours, but pain is 3/10. I'm sure it will get worse after the 24 hour nerve block wears out tomorrow. Time will tell.

5. Watching the Monday Night football game and poking around here!

Wonderful! So glad to read that your surgery went well, and that your pain is only 3/10 so far. And what a long walk already, 250'! Terrific report, thanks. :D

Today was gym day, so first we went to the gym. I rode the Octane seated elliptical, and the Nustep crosstrainer. No weights yet since I am mostly focusing on gently building up knee and leg strength again, along with stamina. I am mostly recovered from my knee replacement surgery and now I am gaining back strength lost over the past few years. I might try weights again soon.

After the gym we went out to lunch and I ordered a small caesar side salad and water. Then F took me on a two hour pleasure drive! Most of it was sitting in the Murano watching the birds and sailboats on Lake Ponchartrain which we have recently begun doing a lot, and love to do.

I love that I did not have to take a cane or walker to the gym, restaurant, or anything else today. It is a long recovery, and I am not 100% recovered yet but making nice progress.

After we got home, he did some laundry over here. About two minutes after he left I fell asleep accidentally and took a long nap. :)

W2R, glad to hear the knee is healing so well and you are starting back at the gym!:cool:

My nurse just told me they will be waking me at 4:00 AM to wipe me down with CHG towelettes (minimize infection). Well there goes the catch up sleep!:(

W2R, glad to hear the knee is healing so well and you are starting back at the gym!:cool:

My nurse just told me they will be waking me at 4:00 AM to wipe me down with CHG towelettes (minimize infection). Well there goes the catch up sleep!:(

They wouldn't let me sleep at the hospital either! They were always coming in my room to take my BP or do something or other. For example they awakened me twice in a half hour because they had to check to see if the sharps container was emptied - - and then "oops? did I already check your sharps container?" and that sort of thing. I hadn't had any shots so of course it was still empty. At the time I thought it was mean, but probably it is helpful for them to know that the patient is still breathing and doing OK.

But anyway, that is why I was so glad to only spend one night there, and it sounds like you might be able to go home tomorrow too. Then you can catch up on your sleep. :)

And the best thing is that from here on out, most likely you will be feeling better and in less pain pretty much every day! Pain during recovery seems to be a lot easier for most of us to withstand than pain before surgery, which just gets worse and worse.

They wouldn't let me sleep at the hospital either! They were always coming in my room to take my BP or do something or other. For example they awakened me twice in a half hour because they had to check to see if the sharps container was emptied - - and then "oops? did I already check your sharps container?" and that sort of thing. I hadn't had any shots so of course it was still empty. At the time I thought it was mean, but probably they just need to make sure the patient is still breathing and doing OK.

But anyway, that is why I was so glad to only spend one night there, and it sounds like you might be able to go home tomorrow too. Then you can catch up on your sleep. :)

And the best thing is that from here on out, you will be feeling better and in less pain pretty much every day! Pain during recovery is sure a lot easier to withstand than pain before surgery, which just gets worse and worse.

Lets see, I took TWO showers with CHG soap within 10 hours of surgery. When I was being prepped, I was wiped down with CHG towelettes. When I got to the room (and bandaged up pretty well), they wiped me down again. Now I have the 4:00 AM wipedown!:confused:

If they are worried about germs, why not wipe down the floors, walls, and medical equipment/bed placed all around me with CHG or an equivalent:confused:?

I'm going home tomorrow after lunch, which I will pass on if doing that will speed up my checkout.

That is great! Once you get home, all this will be behind you. Like you I was pretty aggravated at all their efforts to prevent infection, but apparently they worked really well because I didn't have even the slightest pinkness around my incision, and no signs of infection.

I hope you can get out of there right after lunch! For me the ride home was excruciatingly painful and I was saying vile things to F every time he drove over a bump. But once I was home, the pain receded and I felt much better, took a pain pill, and went to sleep. :ROFLMAO:

Lets see, I took TWO showers with CHG soap within 10 hours of surgery. When I was being prepped, I was wiped down with CHG towelettes. When I got to the room (and bandaged up pretty well), they wiped me down again. Now I have the 4:00 AM wipedown!:confused:

If they are worried about germs, why not wipe down the floors, walls, and medical equipment/bed placed all around me with CHG or an equivalent:confused:?

I'm going home tomorrow after lunch, which I will pass on if doing that will speed up my checkout.
Glad you are doing ok.I agree with your notions about germs. Hope you are well and get to go home.

I went to my first follow up on my detached retina and also have a spine appointment in an hour. My eye is somewhat irritated and looks it. Feels like it's full of sand. They said that's normal. I can't really see with it and that's normal too.

This week is laying on my side 40 minutes per hour.with 2 eyedrops 4x daily and 1 eyedrop 3x daily. THe docs worried about my eye pressure and added a drop for glaucoma to keep my pressure lower. I was told to avoid altitude? She cautioned me about one pass at 8k that I go through! We live at 7750" How the h*ll do I avoid altitude!

My apologies this is full of typos.

DW does 100% of the baking in our house but I felt like it today. It was in honour of my dad who would have been 81. A small taste of Cymru.

Welsh cakes.

Attachments

• Welsh cakes.jpg
    Welsh cakes.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 41
Moved a 50 foot section of a 78 foot tree which I dropped a few weeks ago. It bacame a border to an area which gets pretty soggy. It was mostly hollow about 5 feet above the ground. And neatened up the small branches in to pile which will get burned in the spring.

Spent some time target shooting with Mr Ruger Blackhawk, and Mr Walther PP.

I had a leisurely cup of coffee for breakfast and check my email. After coffee I stained the original oak on my staircase and on a landing. Once finished, I started to restock the landing bookshelves. I noticed my crystal sconces were dirty, so I cleaned them.

AM: Had a hearing test at Sam's Club while I was having a set of tires installed. Due to "profound" high frequency hearing loss, a pair of $4,000+ hearing aids were recommended and I gave them a short test drive. Said I would think about it.

PM: Joined Costco and made an appointment for a hearing test (yes, I know a membership isn't required for the test). Finished mowing the lawn for what I hope is the last time this year.

AM: Had a hearing test at Sam's Club while I was having a set of tires installed. Due to "profound" high frequency hearing loss, a pair of $4,000+ hearing aids were recommended and I gave them a short test drive. Said I would think about it.

PM: Joined Costco and made an appointment for a hearing test (yes, I know a membership isn't required for the test). Finished mowing the lawn for what I hope is the last time this year.

Look at the bright side. They’re saying they saw something profound in you. :)

Hopefully it’s not as profound as they made out and the remedy, if needed, is tolerable.

Looked over my 5 FIDO accounts. Some good returns and a couple 1% or so under what I'd like to see. But no changes required, even though I'm going to have to take 1st year's RMD's next year sometime.

Too bad I don't need the RMD $ for anything of any importance. I'll just pay the taxes and toss the remainder into an ETF fund.

Look at the bright side. They’re saying they saw something profound in you. :)

Hopefully it’s not as profound as they made out and the remedy, if needed, is tolerable.

I thought the adjective "profound" describes the loss.

So, what left is therefore superficial or insignificant. Right? :hide:

I thought the adjective "profound" describes the loss.

So, what left is therefore superficial or insignificant. Right? :hide:

My apologies to REWahoo, making a joke at his expense was wrong. I’m profoundly sorry ..

Nah, what's a joke between friends?

Day after hip replacement surgery

Had the exercise class at the hospital this morning. All 25 of the participants were Monday's hip and knee replacement patients. Class was informative and took an hour.

On a strange note, all the knee replacement patients were all woman! :eek: There was one woman with a new hip and the rest were men.

I left the hospital at 4 PM and I am now in my recliner where I will spend the night. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom