What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I sang a concert for the first time in two years. We did the Bach Magnificat and Lauridsen Lux Aeterna with a small orchestra. It was so wonderful to be making music like this again.

Yesterday I sang a concert for the first time in two years. We did the Bach Magnificat and Lauridsen Lux Aeterna with a small orchestra. It was so wonderful to be making music like this again.

Wow! I'm jealous. All my choir has been able to do so far is two short anthems the past two Sundays. It will take a few more people returning to church before we can do more. And we have to sing in very heavy black masks.

Cyclocross bicycle race both days this weekend. Two races Saturday and two Sunday. Was fun until the weather came in on Sunday afternoon and turned the race course into a energy sucking mud bog.

AM dentist appointment for routine checkup/cleaning and nothing found. Pick up a prescription for DW who is feeling poorly but expected to recover quickly, and then a grocery store run and on to home. Had lunch and fell asleep for two hours. Made plans to go flying R/C airplanes on Thursday for probably the last time this year and likely the last time until spring unless we get more unseasonably warm weather.

Drove to the city today for DW ophthalmologist appointment. Left ~9 am were back ~3pm. A great report was nice to hear. I took a couple mile walk when I got home.

I went through my garden notebook from this season (I keep fairly precise notes over the season), made up my new garden map, put in my seed order and wrote out my seed starting, planting out and sowing timeline for next year. It is, of course, not a precise science, but I think I am getting better each year at timing things to harvest when it is best for us to use them and also getting better at succession planting so that I can maximize my garden output over the whole season. Only a little over two months until I start my indoor seedlings!

Made 6 quarts of Texas chili. :cool:

I had my cowboy hat on through the whole kitchen experience. My boots need heels so they were not worn during the event. Tomorrow, the Nocona's go in for the heels and a good checkup.

(I didn't wear the Colt 45 today though).

Lol! Cowboy Up nothing better.

We have a saddle maker here that also does boot repair etc. I take a lot of work to him and is a cowpoke himself.

I had one pair of custom-made boots and I still have those boots today.

Lol! Cowboy Up nothing better.

We have a saddle maker here that also does boot repair etc. I take a lot of work to him and is a cowpoke himself.

I had one pair of custom-made boots and I still have those boots today.

I've had these Nocona's for 20+ years. Great boots! My daughter still has her saddles and tack from when we had quarter horses. (horses long gone!)

^ yep mine are ~30 years old. They are pretty rough shape but I will never get rid of them.
I really couldn't afford a custom handmade boot at the time but I wanted a pair. Lol

Custom boots are great. I have a pair maybe 15 yo that are the most comfortable footwear ever. Not all that much more expensive than nice off the rack stuff. I may have to buy another pair.

MC Rider, those boots fit like no other shoe I ever had. He had me come in a few times while he was building them. To measure and to adjust the boot to fit each foot. He was slow and think it took a year and half but he was a busy man making boots. Lol

He didn't live all that long after he made my pair.

MC Rider, those boots fit like no other shoe I ever had. He had me come in a few times while he was building them. To measure and to adjust the boot to fit each foot. He was slow and think it took a year and half but he was a busy man making boots. Lol

He didn't live all that long after he made my pair.

I just had them draw an outline of my feet and take measurements.
New boots in a few weeks. :D
If I get new will probably go here since my prior bootmaker no longer makes boots.

https://batesleathers.com/footwear

Brother-in-law owns a promotional clothing company and has been short-handed of late in a crazy busy time so I went in to lend a hand. Was interesting to be in among so many machines and doing a factory floor type job. I haven't worked in a factory since college days so it took me back. Will be going back tomorrow for another 'shift'. DSs asked me how much he was paying and I explained to them that it is when one starts getting paid that the job starts becoming less fun.

Got up early this morning to pick tangerines/satsumas. We had a bumper crop on our tree so my wife is taking about 150+ to a local outreach that provides shelter for homeless women, families, children, and men as well as meals, healthcare, job training and placement in partnership with the local college, and veterans services. May have more tomorrow.

Cheers!

I just had them draw an outline of my feet and take measurements.
New boots in a few weeks. :D
If I get new will probably go here since my prior bootmaker no longer makes boots.

https://batesleathers.com/footwear

Interesting! That is a fast turnaround. Here leather workers do more shoe repair, saddle making, and horse related leather work. Building a pair of shoes is not high on their list.

braumeister, thanks for that link. I agree the wait for a pair of custom fit boot is well worth the wait and cost.

A real nice way to blow some dough!

We bought some "snow insurance" today. In previous years, we've had a guy to plow the driveway at our mountain house and paid him $x/plow. Last year the rate was $40 per plow, and we had eight plows. We've owned the house for ten years; some years we have 1-2 plows, some years as many as ten plows.

This year the plow guy has moved to a subscription model, offering a season of plowing for $350. We thought about finding another guy to do it on a per plow basis, but that seemed like too much effort so we sent a check for the season. Now that we've paid you can be pretty sure that we won't have much snow. Sorry, ski areas in the Pocono Mountains.

Yesterday my Medicare card was in the mailbox! I had been worried as it was a week past when the suggested I'd receive it.

I woke up about 4am to see it had snowed, there was about 5" on top of the split rail fence. Later around 6 DW said it hadn't snowed overnight because there was no snow on the split rail! There was a front move through around 5am with reports of 65mph winds!

I have run the snowblower once this morning with various amounts of snow in the driveway. Somewhere around 6" I guess. I have to take DW to her wellness exam in a couple hours and probably pick up some groceries while I wait.

51748928787_042e3d30ab_o.jpg

Took three large dying redwood trees down yesterday. Trees were on the bank of our little creek in the back corner of our lot. The drought in the Republic of CA dried up my creek and caused the thirsty coastal redwoods to die.

Trees came out with no problem with no damage to fencing or to me.

In other news, the previous tenants of the trees … a large family of squirrels … are scrambling for a new home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom