What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found lost money. $14,455 to be exact.

Well, it's not lost money, but more like money I did not know I had.

What happened was that I looked at the Quicken screen as I do every day and saw a couple of MFs dropped big. On an up day? Of course, it's caused by dividend payouts. Quicken provides the price quote, but dividend payouts have to be downloaded from the brokerages. OK, tomorrow they will be posted in the account, and all will be fine.

Out of curiosity, I logged onto this MF account (held directly at the MF) to see what the distribution was. And I found out that Quicken had been missing the 2019 and 2020 dividend payouts as well. It's my fault because I never finished setting up the Quicken download for this account, which I have had for 20 years.

After entering the missing past dividends, I am $14,455 richer, and I see the Quicken total at the bottom left corner at a highest number ever. Heh heh heh...

I have made this kind of omission before.

Oops! Just found out that I also missed the dividend payout in my HSA account. This should be smaller, being only a couple of quarters worth. Every dollar helps. Heh heh heh...

Last edited:
NW-Bound, what a nice Christmas gift to you.

^^^ Thanks. It's really not material, as this money is just mentally added to the rest which stays underspent.

I have a few dormant accounts like this, which I do not log on and rely on Quicken to know the balance. And as mentioned earlier the price quote is public and Quicken can supply it, but any activity has to be downloaded from the brokerages, and the Web link is often broken.

I spend a lot more time to track my actively traded accounts, which amount to 2/3 of my investable assets. The rest, I do not trade in. A couple of years ago, for lack of better things to do on a rainy day, I looked at one of these inactive accounts, and found that its performance was a bit too lousy. And that's when I discovered the missing dividend payouts going back a few years. :)

Quicken also cannot download from I bond accounts. I have to update the interests manually each month, and have forgotten for more than 1 year in the past.

Last edited:
I just got done shoveling a skiff of snow and will pack something to eat and head to the ranch.
I have got all the paperwork done for a burning permit now need to take pictures of burn site and send them for final approval for controlled burn.

I need to prepare the burn site and will work on that, so I can burn someday when wind direction and conditions are just right.

I volunteered in the morning at a facility that does physical therapy for handicapped children on horses. I help with the horses more than the kids. Then I went to the grocery store, and came home and put up the Christmas tree. DH smoked a turkey breast and we had that for dinner. Good day!

Went out to the boat and installed the new vent window struts. This boat has the old style triangle side vents (like cars used to have) and one was gone and the other didn't work. Had to make a special bracket with spacers, but now you can have 2 "scoops" wide open, totally closed or any of 8 stops in between.

The first snow of the season is falling. I had to scrape the car to go to choir practice this evening. Fortuitously, I just got the last of my leaves up over the weekend and the bags were picked up this morning.

Ran 4.5 miles, worked out (wimpy but did it), walked to the pharmacy and library, practiced guitar (3 times), met with a friend for financial coaching, planned a weekend trip to meet another FIREe, caught some live music, met some friends for a couple beers (long time friends I don't see often enough). All in all, an awesome day and worthy of jumping on this thread. A lot to be thankful for.

Retired a few days ago and woke up early in a hotel as usual and since are still in the moving phase, we did the walk- Thru of our new home in Boerne, Tx today. ?

I volunteered in the morning at a facility that does physical therapy for handicapped children on horses. I help with the horses more than the kids. Then I went to the grocery store, and came home and put up the Christmas tree. DH smoked a turkey breast and we had that for dinner. Good day!
Good for you. That sounds very rewarding.

I spent yesterday afternoon with my mum, celebrating her 94th. My sister brought cake pops, I brought prosecco. We also brought lunch (grilled shrimp, moms fav) and gave the cake pops to the other residents, nurses and aides. Everyone had a good time.

Attended a Christmas party yesterday for my part-time job post-retirement fun job.

Was super fun sitting around the table with all the young guys. And even more Christmas cheer was shared when a large bottle of Maker’s Mark appeared on the table!

Finished a cherry toolbox for myself and started a flag case for the husband of DW's friend who recently passed. Now heading to town to pick up woodworking supplies and a map that I made at the printer.

Woke up to fresh wet snow about 15" at our place. I watched our two puppies play in it for the first time at dawn. I got them up this morning.

Then the day began. Snowblower struggled with that much and tge discharge chute froze. I don't recall ever having that happen before.

When I was done I brought a heater to the front of the machine in the garage to hasten the chute thawing. When I was done shoveling around the house the snowplow person was by to block the driveway with more sloppy wet snow that needed removing. After a fight with the remaining blocks of frozen gunk I was able to get that done. Of course it's Friday and I have to get the trash out.

After a trip to the far end of town and groceries for the dogs and us I'm making chili. I guess I'm going to start making cornbread now.

Went to Costco and got 10 lbs of their prime-cut steaks for the family dinner next week.

Then, the weekend after that is the Christmas big family meal that my brother has decided to host. It will be smorgasbord-style per our tradition. I have been researching the Web for ideas to make 3 hors d'oeuvres and canapé to bring.

Lots of eating, drinking, and being merry.

Another beautiful fall day. Pulled out a quarter mile of old fence and pulled T-post and dug out some old wooden posts. Had a nice fire started at cabin for lunch, then I finished up the fencing.
Got home wife said the kids are coming over and want to take us out for supper and spend the night. So, waiting for them to arrive and will be fun to see my step granddaughter for the evening.

It was 83 F today in sunny south Texas. I'm waiting for our rose bushes and my canna lilies to quit blooming so I can cut them back for the winter.

I also cut the grass in the back yard and hopefully that is the last time this year.

Paid my property taxes. Ouch! :banghead:

But I keep reminding myself that many forum members pay more than the $1970 that my local government requires each year. :(

For me it is worth it because this home is my dream come true. It's lovely, unpretentious (1500 sf, 3/2), nicely set up for aging in place, next door to Frank's home, and even if it weren't, it feels like home to me, comfortable and familiar.

Attachments

• HisNhers.JPG
    HisNhers.JPG
    5.2 KB · Views: 151
(last night) Had dinner with DS and DGS#1 at their new apartment.
Yesterday also finally got the Christmas tree up and decorated, although, this year only a few unlreakables and mostly ribbons and bows to make it much more "friendly" and touchable for DGS#2 who is just two.
Today, DD, DSiL, and DGS#2 will be here for a meal and play time with Grandpa and Grandma! :)

One of my bandmates had his annual Christmas jam night...2 drummers, 3 guitar players, 1 keyboard player, and 1 bass player (me). People rotated in and out and a few wobbly pops were consumed. One of the drummers lives near me and we had out spouses drop us off and pick us up.

Wife's ball team is having their Christmas potluck tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom