What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a bachelor for the past week taking care of the animals and doing odd jobs and repairs around the house while my wife went off with a couple of girl friends to backpack some of the Appalachian Trail. She got back late last night after driving 10 hours and then up again this morning for a tennis match. Not bad for a 75 yr old lady but I think she is going to rest afterwards for a few days. Me? I'm just arm candy. :D

Cheers!

You are a lucky man! :)

That is only $763 an hour. A man has gotta eat.

My daughter and SIL bought a fixer upper house. Hired an HVAC Co. to replace the duct work. They suggested moving the air conditioner to a different position (we agreed this was a good plan). The unit is an all in one unit. Said it would be done on Tuesday. They repositioned the outdoor unit and cut a hole into the attic that looked like something an 8 year old cold do. Then 4 of them spent the day on their phones or out at their truck taking. One guy quit, I think he was the guy that was to crawl in the tight attic space. Then no one showed up for 3 days. My SIL called the owner, he said he fired that crew and he would be there Monday to do it. Wednesday I left the house for an hour and all of their supplies were removed from the house.
A call to the owner and he said he could not do the job. No apology for what had been done to the house, no face to face here's a check for your deposit, only I'll send it in the mail. After seeing what happened the neighbor, who does HVAC contracting said to my SIL and me, you guys can do this yourself, I'll guide you, it's not that hard. He let my SIL buy the supplies on his account, the neighbor also suggested he buy a whole new air conditioning unit, pointing out the damage the salt water air had done to the 9 year old condenser fins. Then he had one of his contractors visit and he said for $1500, he would do all the labor. If all goes according to plan, he will have less than $6,000 into it and have a completely new system. Friday, the guy got all new duct work installed, next is to position the air conditioner, install the external duct and put on a shroud. That may be happening today, or it might be an Monday. I have my fingers crossed, a bit stressful, since they moved in yesterday, at least as much as possible.

$4580 !!!!! UNREAL! I kid you not. If he e-mails me back, "are you interested?" I am going to reply with "Can you tell me the name of your crack dealer?"

That is only $763 an hour. A man has gotta eat.

And the poor guy has to wait a long long time until a [-]sucker[/-] customer comes along.

I took advantage of the relatively cool day (95F) to take down the 4 shade sails strung over the pool.

The water temperature has been dropping, so the swimming season is about over. On top of that, the sun angle has been declining, such that the pool is mostly shaded by the home 2nd story in midday. We did a lot more swimming this summer, compared to the previous 20 years.

The shade sails are folded, and put away in storage. Putting them up took days to experiment and adjust the mounting points, but taking them down was less than 30 minutes. Next year should be a breeze.

Spent most of the day at an R/C flying site south of Berkeley Springs, WV. Flew four different airplanes and got some nice video because of the clear air and light overcast. But I forgot the bottle of sunscreen and got a mild sunburn.:facepalm:

I've been a bachelor for the past week taking care of the animals and doing odd jobs and repairs around the house while my wife went off with a couple of girl friends to backpack some of the Appalachian Trail. She got back late last night after driving 10 hours and then up again this morning for a tennis match. Not bad for a 75 yr old lady but I think she is going to rest afterwards for a few days. Me? I'm just arm candy. :D

Cheers!

I can't imagine what your wife was like, when in her 20s. You are lucky she's not a husband beater.

I hand harvested a gallon of alfalfa seed today at the ranch for planting in the spring. Made a new wood hitch for a steel wheeled wagon I have been putzing with. I also house cleaned at the cabin and took a walk down along the river.

Had a rancher call and ask while I was there if a guy from Florida could go on my land and look for a deer he arrowed. I told him that wouldn't be a problem.

Always a lot of out of state bow hunters in the area this time of year.

Cheers!
That is impressive. Good for her!

I signed up for a library card at a branch of the library in the county next door to my county.

Until recently, I almost always found what I wanted at the library one town over in my own county. But recently I have been unable to find quite a few things, so I end up buying a lot of used books online. If I keep this up it will eventually bankrupt me! :D

I was able to browse the online catalog for my non-county library, and discovered that they have every book in a mystery series I want to read, whereas my county library had none of them. :(

So I tootled off to the non-county library for the first time ever, and paid the annual fee of $45 for being an out-of-county resident, and I am the proud possessor of a second library card. Be still my heart! I immediately checked out the first two books in the series.

Now all I have to do is remember which books came from which library, and make sure I return them to the appropriate place. :LOL:

Since I am always on the lookout for good mysteries, which series are you now reading?

The Timber Creek K9 Mystery Series. Takes place in Colorado; main characters are Officer Mattie Cobb and her K9 partner Robo. I've never read a series which features a K9 character; I'm looking forward to it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082MG691...s_s_aps_series_rwt_tkin&qid=1632629355&sr=8-4
Thanks for the book suggestion. I have probably read over 100 books during the last 2 years and always looking for a new mystery series. Other than Clive Cussler novels most have been long series of murder mysteries that are easy to follow for some escape fiction. The public library has been great for free online books to check out on the computer especially for the periods when they had to close the buildings.

Cheers!

I hand harvested a gallon of alfalfa seed today at the ranch for planting in the spring. Made a new wood hitch for a steel wheeled wagon I have been putzing with. I also house cleaned at the cabin and took a walk down along the river.

Had a rancher call and ask while I was there if a guy from Florida could go on my land and look for a deer he arrowed. I told him that wouldn't be a problem.

Always a lot of out of state bow hunters in the area this time of year.
That sounds cruel. He fired an arrow at a deer, hit it and couldn’t find it. Cruel beyond belief if that’s the case.

If he doesn’t find it does the mean a deer is potentially walking around or dying in a ditch with an arrow sunk into its body ?

That sounds cruel. He fired an arrow at a deer, hit it and couldn’t find it. Cruel beyond belief if that’s the case.

If he doesn’t find it does the mean a deer is potentially walking around or dying in a ditch with an arrow sunk into its body ?

I have never been deer hunting, but I presume the whole point is to kill them, then take them home and eat them. If it runs off after you hit it and you can't find it, then it will still die, but since you now can't take it home and eat it, it will have been a senseless waste of life. It is my understanding that deer can run pretty far away even if you shoot them with a rifle.

Thanks for the book suggestion. I have probably read over 100 books during the last 2 years and always looking for a new mystery series. Other than Clive Cussler novels most have been long series of murder mysteries that are easy to follow for some escape fiction. The public library has been great for free online books to check out on the computer especially for the periods when they had to close the buildings.

Cheers!

Yup, the library has saved my sanity, and murder mysteries have been my go-to escape during the pandemic too.

There are seven books in the series (so far).

Having retired last December I have a lot more time to read - as evidenced by my "dual library citizenship!" :D

It is bow hunting season and it was all legal. He found the deer and has harvested the meat and all is good.

I have never been deer hunting, but I presume the whole point is to kill them, then take them home and eat them. If it runs off after you hit it and you can't find it, then it will still die, but since you now can't take it home and eat it, it will have been a senseless waste of life. It is my understanding that deer can run pretty far away even if you shoot them with a rifle.
+1

I haven't hunted in years but the goal is to kill a deer and find them. Sometimes they get away, no hunter tries for that they want to eat the deer.
In many places deer are a substantial risk to the public. Last fall one jumped in front of me while I was doing 70mph. Irresponsible deer didn't even carry insurance to sue for diminished value.
ETA Glad to hear the deer was located.

Last edited:
...Sometimes they get away, no hunter tries for that they want to eat the deer.
In many places deer are a substantial risk to the public. Last fall one jumped in front of me while I was doing 70mph. Irresponsible deer didn't even carry insurance to sue for diminished value.

It may surprise some to learn that no wild animal is more dangerous to humans than deer for that reason. When struck by smaller cars, especially those with a sloping hood, they'll come through the windshield and injure/kill people. They are especially prevalent in WV and PA. Although I don't hunt them, for that reason I'd be more than happy to see deer hunting season extended to all year round. To me they're just big rats with antlers.

Getting back on topic, today I looked at the grass in the back yard and willed it to get shorter but that had no effect. It seems I'll have to mow it.

Repaired my aging (Almost 20 years old) upstairs AC unit. We have 2.

Air handler froze up, as did the drier on the compressor unit. Turned out to be the Air Handler fan was not coming on. Replaced the 5mfd start/run cap on the air handler. Left of off for 1 hour (90* Florida) then turned back on all good.

My main AC unit is coming up of it's 10th anniversary so I took it apart, wrote down the part numbers of the contactor in the compressor unit, and the dual Start Run capacitor. Ordered them both for a grand total of $30 for both. Now I have spares.

Those 2 parts are the only parts that die, other than a potential Freon leak, I am covered.

We live by the beach so AC shelf life is somewhat limited.

Thanks for the tip. I can intermix this series with the Joe Pickett series. Lots of Rocky Mountain High.

The Joe Pickett series looks interesting; thanks. And there are 21 books in the series!

Nothing better than discovering an author who has already written a nice long series to dig into - especially with winter around the corner. :D

I helped "rescue" a lady with a flat tire. I was out in my 52 GMC hot rod pickup this morning, to fill up my lawn mower gas cans and also the GMC truck in prep for a big car show this weekend. Stopped at McD's for some breakfast, and pulled into a parking spot next to a lady who was also eating in her car. Her left rear tire went flat while eating, she had picked up a big screw in the tread. Probably mid 60s, nice lady but didn't know how to change the tire and asked if I could help. I was already in somewhat work clothes so no problem getting a little dirty. So I did help and she was almost back on her way - except the spare tire was nearly out of air. Fortunately another guy saw me helping and he took the spare tire to nearby gas station and aired up the spare. Once returned I finished the spare tire installation. Even though I was just doing it for helping out, she would not let me go without giving me $20 for my help. I told her no, that I could see my DW in same situation and I was just helping because I could. She was insistent and finally I just took the $20 so she would feel OK about it. I was intending to be my good deed for the day, now it is still a good deed, but with $20 more in my wallet.

It's funny the whole time I was thinking about the recent discussions on giving a jump start to somebody with a dead battery.

But the lesson to be learned here for all: make sure you check your spare tire air pressure occasionally. Her car was a 2011 model, and spare was never used. Most likely never checked either, that's why it had like 5 psi in it.

Last edited:
But the lesson to be learned here for all: make sure you check your spare tire air pressure occasionally. Her car was a 2011 model, and spare was never used. Most likely never checked either, that's why it had like 5 psi in it.

Yes, good lesson. When I get my tires rotated, I always ask them to check the air pressure in the spare. I'll bet most people don't do that when getting their tires rotated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom