What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed oil and oil/air filters and rotated the tires on my 2018 Subaru Forester, which has only 24k miles over 4 years of ownership. Big change from my working days, when I averaged over 26k per year (100 mile/day commute).

Left early this morning for small county seat town to pay land tax as part of my agreement for the purchase of land deal. I drove in the dark got there just about as they opened the doors. Paid taxes on three different sections of land for the seller I'm buying land from.

Got back home around lunch and headed for the ranch to check on a few thing and I did get SD cards from camera's. I moved one camera in a moose traveling area I found and got one small bull moose on camera many times in two days. Talked to a rancher that came down to my place and is always nice to shoot the breeze with.

Played golf with my 70+ year old friends today. It was sunny and 85 F here with low humidity. It's a good thing we don't have this weather all the time or 35 million people from California would move here....oh, wait....

We had lunch at Cracker Barrel after golf and we each had the $6.99 meatloaf, mashed potatoes and veggie (select) lunch special. It comes with cornbread, biscuits and butter, jelly or honey which I have never mentioned.

Sprayed four gallons of weed killer on most of the yard, hitting weeds individually. Took a break, then mowed the front half. That's enough for one day. Weather permitting I'll spray the parts I didn't do today and mow the rest.

We finally were successful (we think) in getting DW enrolled in Medicare parts A and B. In addition to all the other identity-verifying hoops they want you to jump through now, they also have to send an "access verification code" via snail mail. This has to be a nightmare for someone who has just moved. Anyway, either it didn't get sent or the USPS lost it, because it never arrived. After ten days SSA did send an email that the code was about to expire though. Gee thanks, that's helpful. So after spending an hour an a half with SSA on the phone last week, DW finally got her access code today and we're pretty sure she's enrolled. She'll call tomorrow to verify.

It was a lot easier when I started Medicare six years ago. I suppose it would be too much to ask of SSA to:

A. Hire enough people to answer the phone.

B. Hire people who are fluent in the English language. Twice the person she was talking to had such a thick accent it was difficult to understand them and this lengthened the time of the phone call by at least two times, maybe three, to repeat everything, not to mention the frustration of dealing with people who, shall we say, are not the best and the brightest.

If this doesn't work the next step is to call the congresscritters and see if they can light a fire under the necessary butt to actually get it done. Failing that, Plan C is hire a lawyer to deal with these people. The BCBS insurance she has now becomes secondary to Medicare the first of next month so due to SSA's foot-dragging time is now of the essence.:mad:

And then people at SSA wonder why people hate them. Little wonder they have to hire armed guards to keep people from strangling them.

I blew my sprinkler system out for the year. Closed some venting on my home and got a few things stored for wintah.
Now getting that all done it is time to play the rest of the day. So many things I want to do to finish out this beautiful fall day, hard to decide what I want to do! Lol

I think I will go to ranch and sit in a blind and hunt for the evening.

Last edited:
Not me, but DW really did a double take this morning. While driving on the highway, she saw a car that looked just like mine about to pass her. It was in fact the same model, same color, same year, and had the same unusual front license plate.

When it passed, she saw that it also had the same equally unusual personalized rear license plate (although from a different state), and the same unusual sticker on the back window.

If I had seen it, I probably would have followed to see if I could get a group photo. :LOL:

I spent half the day yesterday making one of my decks 6" bigger to fit a new 12' x 12 gazebo to replace the previous 10' x 12' gazebo that we took to the cabin.

It took so long because I had to disassemble 3 sections of railing, remove 3 posts, and make a set of stairs 6" smaller. Then put it all back together.

We are at Cruisin' the Coast which is a HUGE car festival in coastal Mississippi. Having a wonderful time with the kids ogling cars. We love DIFFERENT cars to be sure, but everybody is happy and we'll be back next year. PXL_20211008_183419746.MP.jpg

Enjoyed watching my sons compete at a karate tournament today. Oldest son took 1st place in forms, weapons, and sparring. Youngest son took two 2nd's and a 4th in sparring.

Stepson and DW took me out for breakfast this morning for my birthday.:cool:

DD and her husband are taking us out tonight for dinner for the same. When you get to be my age, people try to feed you rather than give you birthday gifts...LOL!

(maybe they think feeding me will keep me around longer?) :D

Went out for the first time in my new (36 yr old) boat. Verified no more leaks, motor runs good, starts easy, idles good, idles good in gear (under 5 mph) for trolling and tops out at 35 mph (gps). Not bad for a 3300 pound 21 foot boat with 2 people on board. Boat is rated for 250 HP and only has a 150. But 35 is plenty fast enough.

God, it was good to be out on the river again - :)

Anyway, boat dude will be installing my new gas filler and smoothing out the control box and I'll be in the berth next week - :)

^ that sound great! That is where I should be on the river fishing instead of bow hunting. A rancher stopped by last evening and he has been catching his limit just about everyday. I been giving him minnows I been trapping since I haven't been using them.

Need pictures RobbieB when you get that ship to sea.

Last edited:
Yeah Baby! Fish are easier to clean than game - :)

And since I only take 1 meal (for the both of us) unless of course it's a big ole striper with 10 meals attached, no storage required either.

I'm a big "catch & release" guy, no need to be greedy. And since there's no leftovers...

Time to go fishing again tomorrow!

Check a camera today I moved a few days ago trying to get some moose on camera. I been getting some pictures of them now. I see sign but don't see them often but once in a while. When driving in I may see a glimpse and then they are done. Here is a little guy.

Attachments

• WGI_0014.jpg
    WGI_0014.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 56
Street- super cool moose photo!

Over here went for a walk at our newly reopened harbor, recently closed due to concerns over the large oil spill in Huntington Beach that has made the news. Ocean currents are currently moving the oil away from our S. California coastline, and those of us here are immensely relieved. On our walk we stopped to enjoy a fabulous classic car show of Woodys, then a bit further along enjoyed an informal gathering of classic VW's.

Living here is endlessly fantastic. So thankful we finally got over our inertia and made the move in 2017.

We spent the remainder of the day at an outdoor wine club event enjoying great food, live music, dancing, socializing, and of course, great wine.

Last edited:
One can fret over the noise, but I've been enjoying the jets flying overhead more since I downloaded flight aware. The "near me" shows a map with the expected blue dot, and aircraft with tracks. For those of us near airports or on the flight paths, it's fun to see where they're going and where they came from.

ETA: Had to look-up Providenciales

Last edited:
aja--Happy Birthday!

street--great picture of the moose.

Yesterday we came over to attend my nephew's wedding. I get to my sister's house, the family house since 1952 and this equipment was lined up to tear it down next week. They had a fire earlier this year.
This was a bit of a lump in your throat moment for me.

PXL-20211009-221628533.jpg

We have had a rough go and yesterday was hard for many of us. Nephew's mom had lost her battle last May with cancer.
His grandpa passed this summer. Grandpa Jack was a fireman who was injured in a fire, and nephew is following in his boot steps. Many of the groomsmen were fellow firefighter friends.
it is supposed to be a joyous occasion, but the shadows of those who were missing loomed large.

^ I know what you mean about seeing places of your past being tore down etc.. The old church, home and many places I have fond memories growing up of all been taken away from this earth. Sad to see those things taken away from our past.

I unmolded and cut my latest 5 lb. batch of soap into bars (I use old wooden cigar boxes as molds). I put it out to dry and harden in the garage, and the batch I made 6 months ago has been brought in to replace the batch prior to that, which is down to its last bar. Yes, that's right - I usually have between 6 months' and a year's worth of soap on hand.

It doesn't actually save me any money to make my own soap. In fact, it probably costs about 50% more than just buying bar soap at Walmart. Importantly, however, I get to craft the soap to have the precise qualities I want in terms of cleansing versus skin conditioning, and I can scent it however I like. It is also a satisfying thing to do. If I just went unscented and therefore didn't need to use expensive essential oils, the cost per ounce of soap would be about 10% less than Walmart.

I love the smell of plain soap. If there was an aftershave or cologne I would probably buy it.

Cheers!

I get to my sister's house, the family house since 1952 and this equipment was lined up to tear it down next week. They had a fire earlier this year.

I know exactly how that feels. The house I grew up in was rendered uninhabitable by Hurricane Sandy in 2012. They demolished it and built a new one on the lot.

I know exactly how that feels. The house I grew up in was rendered uninhabitable by Hurricane Sandy in 2012. They demolished it and built a new one on the lot.

It did not help that Mom's birthday was Thursday and we were all thinking about that in one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom