What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
5131C81B-A4A0-4ABB-8B1C-8CAB5BEB0874.jpg

7DDD75E0-F64A-48D7-B47D-677ADD1AFA7F.jpg
Spent the afternoon taking in some Fall colors and having lunch at one of our favorite restaurants. It was a good day. :)

I did well, none of them got stuck in trees.
:dance: And I thought "Yard Birds" was a band.

I racked 3L of a recently brewed russian imperial stout for a weekend festival. I'm leaving the other 20L in the fermenter for now. It's still a bit 'hot', but had nothing else to share.

First day of retirement, and I slept until almost 8:00! I watched two photography webinars, did some yard work and worked for half an hour. Also puttered around the house, tidied up the kitchen, did one load of laundry and spent some time surfing the net and trip planning.

All in all it was a good day.

^ A great day!
I remember my first day really well. I walked up town in a drizzly rainy day and just trying to get my head around that I will never have to work again. I didn't want anyone that knew me to see me out goofing off for some odd reason.. Lol

First day of retirement, and I slept until almost 8:00! I watched two photography webinars, did some yard work and worked for half an hour. Also puttered around the house, tidied up the kitchen, did one load of laundry and spent some time surfing the net and trip planning.

All in all it was a good day.

Perfect way to ease in to retirement. Congratulations! I am coming up on 5 years, and have loved every day of it!

Had an inch of rain in the gauge and then snowed about 8 inches of wet snow. I didn't do much but knock snow off of trees and shoveled some. Today will be to wet to do much so will hang around the house and pull the rest of the tomato plants.

Just got back from Door County, Wisconsin.

Attachments

• Door county winding road 10132021 4.jpg
    Door county winding road 10132021 4.jpg
    1,015.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Door county chapel 10132021_.jpg
    Door county chapel 10132021_.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
  • Door county lighthouse10132021_.jpg
    Door county lighthouse10132021_.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 49
Absolutely beautiful! Ronstar you have a photogenic eye for the landscape.

Ronstar you just made it there before the big weather change. I imagine the wind in the Northern plains has taken a ton of those leaves down.

Absolutely beautiful! Ronstar you have a photogenic eye for the landscape.

Beautiful, Ronstar.

Ronstar you just made it there before the big weather change. I imagine the wind in the Northern plains has taken a ton of those leaves down.

Thanks. The great thing about landscape/ nature photography is the thrill of the hunt. It's always an adventure.

I met a fisherman on the pier on the way to the lighthouse. Walking back to shore, I saw that he was struggling trying to land a big fish. Too big for his gear to handle. He said that it felt like a 13-15 lb salmon, too big and old to be good to eat. He was fishing for trout.

He couldn't handle the rod and net at the same time, so I took the rod and brought the fish in close to the pier. He tried to net it, but the fish was too big to fit in the net. He was happy when it broke loose.

It was great chatting with him. I'm always running into something unexpected when I'm out looking for photo ops.

Thanks. The great thing about landscape/ nature photography is the thrill of the hunt. It's always an adventure.

I met a fisherman on the pier on the way to the lighthouse. Walking back to shore, I saw that he was struggling trying to land a big fish. Too big for his gear to handle. He said that it felt like a 13-15 lb salmon, too big and old to be good to eat. He was fishing for trout.

He couldn't handle the rod and net at the same time, so I took the rod and brought the fish in close to the pier. He tried to net it, but the fish was too big to fit in the net. He was happy when it broke loose.

It was great chatting with him. I'm always running into something unexpected when I'm out looking for photo ops.

Those statements, I find the most rewarding also! I have learned in retirement to never get in a hurry and take advantage of every moment possible. I sometime go back to my old ways that I don't have time, but now I take the time and it has been a rewarding experience every time and an adventure.

Today has been a gloriously sunny and warm October day. The young wife and I took the roadster out of the garage and drove the back roads up to Litchfield in the north-western part of Connecticut, where we had lunch. Their leaves are just turning now, which made it a beautiful drive.

Now, I have to go out and mow the lawn.

Other than taking up space, all I did was spread a bag of fall lawn fertilizer.

I’m attending a Zoom presentation/meeting right now by Illinois SHIP. It’s about transitioning to Medicare.

Not there yet, but soon..

Took my car in for its 50K mile service. I'm very lucky to have a great dealership, and it's always a pleasure to deal with them.

The part of the brisket I cut off last week before cooking it is now officially corned beef. Desalinated it and applied a great rub on it. Looking forward to Saturday when it will be smoked and magically turn into pastrami.

sigh.. last minute plans...heading out tomorrow to drive to California to attend memorial service for dear friend.
Cancer sucks.

Had a pleasant morning walking the dog at the beach and watching the surfers. As added bonus my husband joined me. Then we had breakfast at a local joint that is dog friendly. They have a special doggy menu that I want to order off of... Dog got amazing scrambled eggs and bacon... He was HAPPY. My carnitas chilaquiles was good, as was hubby's braized short ribs benedict.

Did a library run. Ran into friends and spent 30 minutes catching up outside the library.

Now I'm chillin'.

Life is good.

Just drove back from my high-country home today. Had to make a mad dash up there on Tuesday, when I saw the weather forecast calling for a low of 25F in the early Wed morning. This is the same cold front that brings early snow to Colorado and Utah to the north.

My underground water meter and shut-off valve froze and broke last winter. The water co-op replaced the meter and I replaced the shut-off valve, but I did not get around to replace the malfunctioning electric heat tape.

It was cold and windy when I got up there on Tuesday afternoon, so had to wait it out till Wednesday to do the digging and wiring in the new heat tape. Ran a drip out of the faucet overnight, and that kept the plumbing from freezing.

After spending the 2nd night up there, we fled for the warmer Valley of the Sun. I still have things to fix up here in the low-desert home. Work, work, work...

Last edited:
NW-Bound hadn't seen you post for a few days. I thought maybe you were busy counting your money. Lol

I bet it was nice to get up to the high country home for a visit. That same Colorado low dumped 8 inches of heavy wet white stuff on us. It was so heavy I couldn't even lift a shovel full of it. Glad you got everything taken care before winter sets in.

...... They have a special doggy menu that I want to order off of... Dog got amazing scrambled eggs and bacon... He was HAPPY. .........
Now that is a cool restaurant. :LOL:

NW-Bound hadn't seen you post for a few days. I thought maybe you were busy counting your money. Lol

I bet it was nice to get up to the high country home for a visit. That same Colorado low dumped 8 inches of heavy wet white stuff on us. It was so heavy I couldn't even lift a shovel full of it. Glad you got everything taken care before winter sets in.

Oh, I always count my money at the end of the day, whenever I have an Internet connection to download the balances from my institutions. However, it has been about counting the losses not the gains, although today is a nice surprise to the upside.

Yes, the high-country home was neglected most of 2020 due to Covid, and it was a surprise to me when I went up in Spring 2021 to find out that I had no water. What a bummer.

Before leaving today, I pointed an infrared thermometer down the pipe towards the underground shut-off valve, and read 55F. The air temperature at that time was 34F, so it was obvious the electric heat tape was working.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom