What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
aja8888, I live less than 100 miles away and am blaming my symptoms on Cedar Fever allergy due to the weather blowing in from the Hill Country, hoping for relief soon.

Are you sure the home antigen test wasn't a false positive??

Yes, sure of that.

aja8888, I live less than 100 miles away and am blaming my symptoms on Cedar Fever allergy due to the weather blowing in from the Hill Country, hoping for relief soon.

I believe you are right. Several of my close friends who have my symptoms are also blaming the Red Cedar Fever.

Well I am in Anna Maria FL on a girls trip with my Mom and two friends. It is raining now so we are doing inside stuff for awhile. Got stuff to make a nice dinner at our cozy beach cottage. We are hoping for no rain tomorrow. We did have a beautiful walk on the beach this morning and saw dolphins.

Cedar Fever is miserable! We should get REWahoo to add it to his list of reasons people should not live in Texas.

I'm surprised you got it, as far east as you are. At least it goes away eventually, until the next year. I hope you, your DW, and your doggie are feeling better soon.

We get it over this way too. From that article:

In more eastern parts of the state, there are also eastern red cedars that pollinate around the same time and can induce a similar response from people’s auto-immune systems.

Around here (Houston area), we call it the Red Cedar pollen.

We get it over this way too. From that article:

Around here (Houston area), we call it the Red Cedar pollen.

That must be why I was always so sick during my years in College Station (1984-1996)! At the time I thought the combination of having a kid in elementary school, and me going to A&M with classmates from everywhere just meant that we were exposed to every germ in the country. :LOL:

That must be why I was always so sick during my years in College Station (1984-1996)! At the time I thought the combination of having a kid in elementary school, and me going to A&M with classmates from everywhere just meant that we were exposed to every germ in the country. :LOL:

We moved here from southern California in 1992 and immediately sensed the allergy issues in this area and suffer from it every year, like 99% of the population here. Where we lived in Ca (Thousand Oaks), the average humidity was 8% and there were no big pollinator type trees or other plants.

Giving Mom a break today and watching little guy (2 yr old GS) He is currently napping with Grandpa!

Was a cold day but went to ranch to prune wild black currant and some black currant I planted a few years ago.

I try to do all I can for the wild currant that grows along the crick. It has produced very well since I started helping it along.

Entered tax stuff, paid bills, walked dogs, hit the grocery, changed out the whole house water filter, varnished some doors.

Was going to have a motorcycle ride, started it up and backed it off the center stand and it wouldn't move easy. Must be tires really low. So I parked it back up on the stand and fired up the compressor, fitted the chuck to the stem and big hiss of air. OK, sit down so I can square it up better and get a better line on the stem. Still big hiss of air and chuck is firmly on the stem. That's when the stem broke off the wheel.

WTF? First time for me in all of 60 years the valve stem broke right off the wheel. Tubeless spoked wheel, brass stem with nut, insides still in wheel I guess.

Got me another project coming up.

Entered tax stuff, paid bills, walked dogs, hit the grocery, changed out the whole house water filter, varnished some doors.

Was going to have a motorcycle ride, started it up and backed it off the center stand and it wouldn't move easy. Must be tires really low. So I parked it back up on the stand and fired up the compressor, fitted the chuck to the stem and big hiss of air. OK, sit down so I can square it up better and get a better line on the stem. Still big hiss of air and chuck is firmly on the stem. That's when the stem broke off the wheel.

WTF? First time for me in all of 60 years the valve stem broke right off the wheel. Tubeless spoked wheel, brass stem with nut, insides still in wheel I guess.

At least it was in the garage. I had a front tire lose air via a cracked valve stem, riding down the mountain once. Rode it a mile or 2 on a flat front to a gas station. Waited for my friend to come back with a pickup. I think it was the VFR. Anyway, steering was sketchy and high effort at best with a flat front.

I had two stems leak like that on tubeless tire on a pickup I sold last spring. I never heard of such a thing in my life. After the second one leaked, I had the other two replaced immediately. You could just bend them sideways, and they would break off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had two stems leak like that on tubeless tire on a pickup I sold last spring. I never heard of such a thing in my life. After the second one leaked, I had the other two replaced immediately. You could just bend them sideways, and they would break off.

You realize the vast majority of auto/vehicle parts anymore are not made in the U.S. Plus, the stems are rubber and will oxidize over time and get brittle. But I'll go with China made. ;)

^ true!!! Kind of scary deal. The first one I had I couldn't find a leak, so it was a mystery till I found it. The second one that started to be low I checked that right away and sure enough same problem. WOW!

In my country you need dependability on tires. When I go to ranch like I did today, never seen another vehicle in the round trip of 43 miles.

Last edited:
You realize the vast majority of auto/vehicle parts anymore are not made in the U.S. Plus, the stems are rubber and will oxidize over time and get brittle. But I'll go with China made. ;)

It could be one or the other. But with a motorcycle that's driven seasonally or low miles it's just as likely that the tires will get old before they become worn out. Tires get old and brittle even if they're not used.

This is (was) a brass (plated chrome), no rubber stem secured with a nut to the wheel.

I think I'll just go with a tube when I get it replaced. So what if I have a couple more unsprung pounds on the rear wheel?

Robbie, that happened to me one day going down the road:mad: Luckily I didn't lose control and was able to stop. Also lucky that We were within 1/4 mile of my DW's cousin's house. We walked to his house and he brought his trailer down and after loading bike, he took it to his house, we unloaded it into his shop, jacked it up and took off wheel. Then he carried me to a friend of his that has a shop to break the tire down and install a new metal stem. Took me back and we reinstalled it and were on our way again after we ate supper with them. So what could have been a bad day turned into a good time of fellowship with family we don't usually get to see as much. Hopefully you will get yours fixed as easily as we did.

Yeah. I'll remove the wheel and take it to a shop. All that work I might as well replace the tire too, it's worn about half tread and one can never be too safe on a bike - :)

I volunteered at the barn this morning (I help with the horses that are used for physical therapy for handicapped children). I came home around lunchtime and went to work on my new flowerbed I'm putting in under the pine trees. Today I planted 3 dogwoods, 2 Japanese maples, and some native azaleas. I'll be moving some hydrangeas and camellias and ferns to that bed soon.

I volunteered at the barn this morning (I help with the horses that are used for physical therapy for handicapped children). I came home around lunchtime and went to work on my new flowerbed I'm putting in under the pine trees. Today I planted 3 dogwoods, 2 Japanese maples, and some native azaleas. I'll be moving some hydrangeas and camellias and ferns to that bed soon.

Today I ordered some trees from soil conservation from my county in Montana.

I ordered 25 Red Osier Dogwood and 15 Quaking Aspen to plant in an area for wildlife and some windbreak.

My question is how familiar are you with dogwood? It says they grow fairly fast and pretty easy to get going?

Thanks

Typical day today. Hit the gym for cardio and strength training in the morning. Mid-day yardwork under warm blue skies. And now out on my bike for a late afternoon hill climb workout.

Today I ordered some trees from soil conservation from my county in Montana.

I ordered 25 Red Osier Dogwood and 15 Quaking Aspen to plant in an area for wildlife and some windbreak.

My question is how familiar are you with dogwood? It says they grow fairly fast and pretty easy to get going?

Thanks
Flowering dogwoods grow wild here, there are several in the woods behind my house, but it's a different dogwood than you are growing. Yours is said to be very hardy and a fast grower though.

Coasting down on a pretty chill day. One that is my 60th birthday. Did a 2.2 mi New England hike with the younger pup on spiked boots today, went to a favorite restaurant with DW for dinner, and finally enjoyed a FINE adult beverage in front of the pellet stove, in a big leather chair, on a 5 degree night.

On a 2 night trip to NYC the days after Christmas, ordered an after dinner beverage at a record-breaking-bill restaurant and it was served in a very angular snifter which I found remarkable (and did remark about). DW found these fine glasses online, ordered me a set, and bought a bottle of a favorite sipping tequila, Clase Azul Reposado for my birthday.

So this retiree enjoyed the evening.

One final FU to winter this evening will be dropping into the 275 gallons of 104 degree water in the hottub before getting into bed.

Attachments

• 20220126_210439[1].jpg
    20220126_210439[1].jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 46
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom