What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds like a terrific day with many of the things I love to do.

Well, the day prior to this we started the day with a nature boat tour through the Elkhorn Slough in Moss Landing to view the otters and other marine life, then headed upstream to the Elkhorn Slough National Reserve, intending to take a six mile walk through the Reserve’s trails. Upon arrival a ranger advised there had been a recent mountain lion sighting, a female with two cubs.

No hiking occurred that day. We toured the visitor center and got right back in the car. No way were we going to risk an encounter with a protective mama mountain lion!!!

As an aside, on the boat tour we observed an otter eating a large cormorant bird. Apparently they reach up and grab them as the cormorants make their long and clumsy takeoffs over the slough. That was a sight I will not forget, oh boy.

It is fun most of the time, which is why I do it. The biking is about 190 miles from Buffalo to Rome NY along the Erie Canal. I do not get to ride every day, some days it’s my turn to drive the sag wagon. One guide rides while the other drives.

Sunday is all driving. First we drive the three hours from home base in the Pocono Mountains to Syracuse where we meet the guests. Everyone piles in the van to drive about three hours west to get into position to start riding on Monday. We stay at nice hotels near the trail each night as we ride east. By the end of riding on Friday the guests are back to their vehicles and we head home.

I was recruited to guide these multi-day trips by the owners of the company, who I know because I am a whitewater river guide for them and we have become friends.

Thanks, and that sounds like a great time and meeting new people and the best part you are in the outdoors.

Got the new mattress installed in the boat, the new crew was more creative than the first and won the $100 prize!

Nice!!!!

You two try it out yet?

skyking1>>>> pretty neat on the restoration.

I'm working on being able to do an unassisted pull up. I now use a 43lb counter weight, I finally did 10 reps, when I can do that constantly for a week, I'll remove 2.5lbs from the counter weight and build up to 10 again.
btw, I'm 67yrs old, I thought I could do one and found I couldn't. Now I'm driven to do it!

Today, I headed out just before sunup to see if I could locate the buck I been watching. I found him and been learning his habits and patterning his routine.

Went and checked minnow traps in the crick. I will be picking up some small alfalfa bales after lunch to take to the ranch tomorrow.

Last edited:
Started the annual process of making lemoncello, pomellocello and orangecello liquor. Make many gallons of each every year to give to friends, family and colleagues.

My best variety is mandarincello. But the mandarin orange trees in our orchard don’t bear fruit until December so that’ll have to wait a while.

I was taught the process to make lemoncello many years ago by my Dad’s Aunt “Jo”, who was raised in Southern Italy. Proud to carry on the tradition.

. We walked 11 miles along the Santa Cruz coastline …

Love the Santa Cruz area. Went to Univ over the hill in San Jose back in the early 1980s and we would escape the madness of Silicon Valley with weekend trips to Santa Cruz and the beach with the cement boat in Aptos.

Love the Santa Cruz area. Went to Univ over the hill in San Jose back in the early 1980s and we would escape the madness of Silicon Valley with weekend trips to Santa Cruz and the beach with the cement boat in Aptos.

The SS Palo Alto at SeaCliff SB in Rio Del Mar. There is apparently a nursery of Great Whites there, which certainly kept us out of the water. :LOL:

A couple of iPhone photos from my bike ride yesterday. This is the Flight of Five in Lockport NY, built to move Erie Canal boats up/down the Niagara Escarpment. They have been replaced by two locks just to the left as you look at the photos. IMG_1195.JPGIMG_1196.JPG

It was a “Shake & Bake” day in Northern CA.

Got out on my mtn bike for a late afternoon ride. Watched the big CalFire jets hit the Mosquito fire with retardant.

Meanwhile lovely wife was in north part of SF Bay Area and rode out a modest magnitude 4.4 earthquake.

Another beautiful day in the Golden State.

Took the dog for a morning walk and for the first time in several years, encountered a rattlesnake. Removed dog from danger of getting bitten, permanently discouraged rattlesnake from future attempts to interact with human beans.

Last edited:
Weatherman says we might get 1/2” of rain in the next week. Probably wishful thinking, but cleaned out the rain gutters this morning anyway.

While I was outside I mowed and cut dead wood out of a tree.

Did the usual gym workout and then a gravel bike ride. Bike ride was a cluster due to roadwork and one-way traffic control near our home.

Had my first colonoscopy after annual poop on paper revealed blood. Six polyps removed. It was amazing watching the insides of my guts in high definition and the little saw tooth loop wire stretching out and snipping them off and then the snipped off piece floating back.

I mowed my lawn this morning, for the first time since June. We've had a hot, dry summer, so the grass went dormant. A couple of good rains and cooler temperatures have now awakened it from its slumber, so there's another weekly chore for me. Luckily, the vegetable garden is winding down.

I dropped DS off at high school and had coffee with a friend. Came home and did a bit of gardening- pulled some weeds, picked flowers for the house etc. Then I inspected the vegetable garden. The cat dug up some newly planted collard greens. Grrr. Planted a few more seeds- kale, turnips, lettuce etc. Then a girlfriend picked me up in her new convertible for lunch. I might need one. Browsed unnecessary cars on the internet.

Hubby has been out of town for work this week but called to say he'll be home for dinner. I'm looking for something to cook that doesn't require going to the store...

I ordered something from Amazon about noon today and it was delivered by 5 PM. Sometimes those folks are a little bit scary.

DH and I signed all the documents for our (long overdue) updated estate plans. PSA: Don't wait 20 years in between updates!

Laid my motorcycle down. In the garage, it was not even running.
I backed it up a foot or 2, then pushed forward and to the left.
Decided the new spot was fine, and went to put it back on the kickstand.
Which seems to have touched the floor and folded up.
It's only 430 pounds, but it does not take much lean from vertical before it is too heavy to hold up. So I laid it down as easy as I could.

After straining my back, called AAA and they helped me get it upright.
Amazingly there is no obvious damage. To the bike. So, not the best day but could be worse. The bike is unharmed. LOL.

I had my first Beyond Burger today. I don't know how healthy they actually are, but it really did taste just like a regular hamburger.

I've been working out at PF for about 6 weeks now, 3 days a week. A few days ago I after watching some videos, I decided I wanted to do pullups. I made some wood brackets to hold a 3ft bar. And, NOPE, nada, no way, I can't even do one. So, not to be deterred, I put collars on a pvc pipe that fit over the bar to act as roller, put on a belt tied a rope to the belt threw the rope over the pvc roller, I tied a weight on the other end, that didn't work the weight is to close to my body to work with. To make it short, I'm on my 3rd iteration, I had to modify a second flat wooded pulley by cutting a groove in it with my mill. Making a holder for the weight now. What I have found it that with 35lbs of weight I can do 2 maybe 3 pullups. I need 5 more lbs, but I only have a stack 35lbs that someone threw away a week ago and my wife picked up. I'll get there!

PS. I'm 67yr old, at least I'm thinking about pullups!:LOL:

I worked my way up to be able to do 8 to 10 counterweight (43lb) assisted pull ups several times a day over the last 3 weeks. My son grabbed the bar and did 9 pull ups, so I decide to try, I did one unassisted pull up:dance: I could not do two, but I will! I pulled 8 lbs off my assist, so now my counter weight is 35lb. I'll work back up to 8 to 10 reps and yhen try for two unassisted pull ups.

It's only 430 pounds, but it does not take much lean from vertical before it is too heavy to hold up. So I laid it down as easy as I could.

Amazingly there is no obvious damage. To the bike. So, not the best day but could be worse. The bike is unharmed. LOL.

Ouch--how is your back?

I had my first Beyond Burger today. I don't know how healthy they actually are, but it really did taste just like a regular hamburger.

Yes--they are not bad. I have had a few.

Heading out soon to pick up youngest DGS for a day with us. At 3 years old, he keeps us on our toes! Busy boy :)

Yesterday:

I had my 28-year-old central AC unit replaced. They don't make them like that anymore!

Today:

I am resting on the couch, recovering from the pain caused by writing the check to pay for yesterday. :D :LOL:

I live in hope that the increased efficiency of the new unit will allay some of that pain, as future electric bills roll in.

Here you go. Almost anyone can pick up a motorcycle by themselves. I have done this a couple of times - once for myself and once for someone else. No need to call anyone.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom