What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I have a colonosopy at 1:40.

Reminds me of being at work..

I sang the USNA football fight song, "Anchors Aweigh", in the middle of the Roman amphitheater at Jerash, Jordan, accompanied by a Jordanian bagpipe band. My fellow tourists applauded vigorouly.View attachment 43929

Now that is a memory both unique and worthwhile!

Today, I smeared myself with mud and swam/floated in the Dead Sea. It was impressively salty. Then we ate lunch under a 2000 year old olive tree.

Attachments

• 2000 year old Olive Tree (2).jpg
    2000 year old Olive Tree (2).jpg
    716.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Did the Hilma Hooker this morning. Some of my equipment didn’t work well. Getting old I guess.

Did the Hilma Hooker this morning. Some of my equipment didn’t work well. Getting old I guess.

At first glance I thought it said " did Hilma the Hooker this morning. LOL

Any way I wasn't familiar with Hilma Hooker so I looked it up. Interesting!

Hunted in the early AM and then came home hauled out anothah pickup load of leaves. I'm done with that for the year. I put away mowers and prepared them for wintah storage. Will go to ranch midafternoon and do some things then sit in a tree stand this evening.

So many out of state hunters around here. One rancher beside me leases his property for hunts and most do. I don't mostly because I don't want to mess up their business. With not being a 3 or 4 generation family in that area I will work on being accepted the best way I can. They have been the greatest people and treat me that way.

I just sent in the paperwork to take my lump-sum pension payout on 12/31. I had deferred my pension when I RE’d in 2015, but given the rising interest rates I felt it was time to take the money and run.

It’s a nice sum that I will direct rollover to an IRA. If all goes as planned we won’t have to touch that money (we’ve been living quite nicely on DH’s pension and SS) until RMD time.

I’ll have to start doing some calculations to figure out if we should be doing Roth conversions. There’s so many moving parts! We haven’t done any significant conversions since retiring but I’m thinking once DH has to start taking RMDs from his TSP we will be a little over the next tax bracket & IRMMA cliff so it might make sense. (He is eleven years older than me)

Went to the dentist. On my way back home I noticed that all the leaves are brown and the sky is gray.

At first glance I thought it said " did Hilma the Hooker this morning. LOL

Any way I wasn't familiar with Hilma Hooker so I looked it up. Interesting!

Yup. My “equipment” failure was a fin strap on some “old” fins. And my brand spankin new BTD GoPro Hero 11 decided to not work. It worked fine before the HH dive and on the next two dives, so who knows?

We slept in this morning after seeing a play in the city last night. It feels good to be going into the city and seeing the cable cars again after avoiding crowds for the last couple of years during peak Covid.

Today I put up some Halloween decorations and lights up just in time for the Trick or Treaters. We had a lot of really cute, very polite kids in very creative costumes, and even many of the parents were dressed up. We probably had 50 or 60 kids this year. There are so many dressed up parents and kids on the street here, and many houses with elaborate decorations and even music, Halloween night almost seems like a big block party here.

I have an electronics hobby, I was a repair tech/product builder much of my life. I have an electronics bench setup with my electronic test equipment.
I'm not a designer, but I can build from a schematic.

My latest project was to build a replacement board and install it, to replace an unobtainable module (photochopper) and bring an RF meter back to life, (HP3400A)
I think we have about 3 other posters with an electronics interest!

Attachments

• HP3400A photochopper installed.jpg
    HP3400A photochopper installed.jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 46
  • HP 3400A.jpg
    HP 3400A.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 47
I am cleaning up the kitchen after Anna set it on fire last night. She was making jambalaya after I went to bed and there was evidently a flash oil fire. She put it out but there's smoke damage all over the place. Not enough to notify the insurance company, but still a huge mess

When I was a teen, the neighbor kid decided to make french fries, he put the oil on the heat and went back to the other room. He forgot about it until smoke was rolling and black soot was all over the ceiling. He made one short
swipe to clean it and decide that wasn't going to work. The professionals cleaned it up and the only place that didn't cleanup right was where he made his attempt.

Yesterday I I reveled in the joys of both a colonoscopy and an endoscopy. The colonoscopy prep was much improved this time. I used sutab (doctor wanted it, insurance did not want to cover it, but doctor gave me coupon to reduce the cost to $40) and it was worth it. I also started prepping well before Sunday by eating light meals and lots of liquid Friday and Saturday.

The procedure itself was fine. I remember lying on my side chatting with the nurses about the lunch they had, and warning them (since it was Halloween) "If I wake up and am staring at a demon's face, I will be somewhat perturbed". Next thing I knew I was foggily getting into a wheelchair and being wheeled to our car with DW helping me to get in. Though it was a "light sleep" anesthesia level, I was completely out for both procedures. The fog stayed the rest of the day, so we skipped an adult Halloween party (DW still wore her "adjusted for my eyes only" costume for me, that was a pleasing sight for my eyes :cool:).

This morning I feel much better, back to gradually eating solid food. It looks like a nice golfing day here, but I will rest up and be totally lazy today :).

Oh yes, colonoscopy was clear, no polyps for the first time. Endoscopy come up with a couple of minor, asymptomatic, age-related things. I am Now waiting for tissue biopsy results for verification.

Had MOHS surgery on my leg this morning and he apparently put a boatload of anesthetic in it. Surgery at 8:00 am and I'm only beginning to feel it a little bit more than ten hours later. I suspect I'll be hitting the extra strength Tylenol pretty hard before bedtime.

Had MOHS surgery on my leg this morning and he apparently put a boatload of anesthetic in it. Surgery at 8:00 am and I'm only beginning to feel it a little bit more than ten hours later. I suspect I'll be hitting the extra strength Tylenol pretty hard before bedtime.

I wish you the best and hope for a fast-healing process. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Just another normal day in the life of NW-B.

Woke up, drank my cup of coffee while surfing my accounts looking for something to write an OTM option on. Got bored with it after 2 hours, and went with my wife to Lowe's to buy some bags of manure to till into the garden planting beds.

Did some work in the garden, then some babysitting of the lithium cells of the solar power system. The cell voltages have been drifting out-of-balance in a weird manner, making me wonder if there's something bad going on.

Sanded and gave all the outdoor furniture two new coats of polyurethane and stain. Looking good. Hour bike ride. Washed the wife’s SUV. Stopped for BBQ at a local craft brew pub. Hanging at home now.

"A day in the life of a fool", anyone?

A day in the life of a fool
A sad and a long lonely day
I walk the avenue and hope I'll run into
The welcome sight of you coming my way

PS. The original song in Portuguese was "Manhã de Carnaval" ("Carnival Morning"), the theme song in the 1959 movie "Orfeu Negro" ("Black Orpheus").

Collected my Rx's, picked up lunch and headed on to the boat.

Installed a lock latch for the bow window, a hold open latch for the aft deck compartment and a hand grab to assist me when climbing out of the engine room.

Took my mum - and myself - to get flu shots. After that she wanted to buy some flowers and before I knew it we had bought several items of christmas decorations. A month early from my usual year end routine.

Started Christmas shopping (DGS had a very specific taxidermy Turtle he saw in a shop at the Oregon coast when we were there there this summer--nice, albeit rainy, drive for us for the day).
It was fun looking at all the rocks, crystals, and other taxidermy animals. The lady at the shop said they have two gentlemen they work with to collect their products.

Today will pay Property Taxes and go out to lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom