What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up another pickup load of leaves again. This is the 8th full stomped down pickup load for leaves still will have a few more. Then mid-morning went to dentist thought I had a cavity but turned out nothing wrong after x-raying three upper molars. I was happy about that.
After lunch went to a piece of land my son owns on the Yellowstone River on the other side of the river that the ranch is on. I did some hiking and went down on the river to look around. I found a few places I might set up a ground blind to do some bow hunting on his property. Some good trail coming from the island to the mainland.

Last edited:
Wifey and I cruised the boat up the San Joaquin river. Nice day for a boat ride. The engines kicked over with gusto now that the starters are not amp starved.

Wifey got a little more training about how to hold the boat in a river current.

Practice, practice - :)

Wifey and I cruised the boat up the San Joaquin river. Nice day for a boat ride. The engines kicked over with gusto now that the starters are not amp starved.

Wifey got a little more training about how to hold the boat in a river current.

Practice, practice - :)

You sell that fishing boat you were going to show last Saturday??

Visited the Vatican today. We’re on the last leg of our 2 week Italy trip and todays tour was one of the highlights. I learned so much from our great private tour guide, who is one of only 300 “licensed Vatican guides”.

Firstly, when you visit “The Vatican” you are actually visiting a location…Vatican City, which is actually a separate sovereign country from Italy (no passport required to visit or “return”).

We started the tour at the Vatican Museum which is not a religious museum at all, but rather a huge and impressive art museum, the likes of the Louvre or Uffizi Gallery in Florence (maybe not as large but certainly comparable). It is housed in buildings that were residences of former Popes.

You could spend days walking through this museum and we barely scratched the surface in 2-3 hours. Some of the highlights include many works of Rafael, Michelangelo and DaVinci (who actually lived in the building for several years while working for a pope). There is a Hall of Busts, Hall of Animals, Hall of Maps and even a Van Gogh painting. The flow and layout of the museum makes it easy to navigate and view many of these areas easily.

This route then takes us directly into the Sistine Chapel, through a door underneath the fresco depicting hell…not the usual main entrance to the chapel. Our guide had spent 30 minutes with us prior to entering the museum, explaining in detail the story of Michelangelo painting the ceiling and the many subtle “surprises” in his work. She also explained the frescos on the walls of the chapel through a very detailed “cheat sheet” that was extremely helpful for seeing the Chapel in person. Once inside the chapel there is NO Photography and NO talking. I was surprised by how serene and calm it was despite the large number of people there. The experience of being there in person was memorable.

After leaving the chapel, we take another “guides only” route down the steps into St.Peter’s Square near the entrance to St.Peter’s Basilica. No waiting in the 45 minute line that wraps around the square to enter the church! Seeing this storied Square where the Pope addresses the masses was impressive for its size and with the Obelisk prominently raising in the center.

We then entered the largest church in the world. “Breathtaking” barely begins to describe the impression when you enter. You could spend hours if not days exploring all of the art, sculptures, chapels (including a wedding chapel) and detail of it. Just to mention a couple of the highlights:
- Michelangelo’s Pieta sculpture of Mary and Jesus, done when he was only 24 years old. One of the few pieces of his art that he actually signed.
- the massive bronze canopy in the middle of the church, which was moved there from the Pantheon.
- the dome, which can be visited (we did not) by climbing 551 steps and has a walkway around it both inside and outside.

Today was truly a highlight of our trip. I would highly recommend visiting if you get the chance to travel to Rome.

We just got back from hiking to Everest Base Camp. It was a 14 day hike. I underestimated how hard it can be with the altitude. We all suffered from Mountain sickness. 85 miles with 24k in total elevation. Everest Base Camp sits at 17,500 feet. It was a truly Epic Bucket list type of adventure. IMG_20221017_175204_586.jpgIMG_20221017_175204_531.jpg

We just got back from hiking to Everest Base Camp. It was a 14 day hike. I underestimated how hard it can be with the altitude. We all suffered from Mountain sickness. 85 miles with 24k in total elevation. Everest Base Camp sits at 17,500 feet. It was a truly Epic Bucket list type of adventure. View attachment 43925View attachment 43926

Wow! Congratulations. That is truly amazing! So great to see these bucket list type experiences being accomplished here. Bravo!

We just got back from hiking to Everest Base Camp. It was a 14 day hike. I underestimated how hard it can be with the altitude. We all suffered from Mountain sickness. 85 miles with 24k in total elevation. Everest Base Camp sits at 17,500 feet. It was a truly Epic Bucket list type of adventure. View attachment 43925View attachment 43926

That was some bucket list item! Well done! :dance:

That is a great accomplishment! Congratulations.

I sang the USNA football fight song, "Anchors Aweigh", in the middle of the Roman amphitheater at Jerash, Jordan, accompanied by a Jordanian bagpipe band. My fellow tourists applauded vigorouly.IMG_20221028_170056.jpg

I sang the USNA football fight song, "Anchors Aweigh", in the middle of the Roman amphitheater at Jerash, Jordan, accompanied by a Jordanian bagpipe band. My fellow tourists applauded vigorouly.View attachment 43929

That is awesome!! Somehow, I can tell you are a tourist you standout like a sore thumb!! Lol

Looks like you are having a great time! Thanks!

Went to Walmart for a prescription I needed to buy using a coupon instead of my insurance (your first guess is probably correct). I had never used their pharmacy before, and was pleasantly surprised at their efficiency and service.

Getting ready for winter, put away 2 patio tables and chairs, took down the gazebo screens, moved some firewood to make room for the new (used) shed that the wife painted, sorted and stored some lumber, and put some fuel stabilizer in the riding mower.

Recovering from a cold- it was much first day out of the house since Monday. I went to the annual fall sale at my local botanical garden and bought a carload of gorgeous plants that I didn't really need. More camellias [emoji16]

I sang the USNA football fight song, "Anchors Aweigh", in the middle of the Roman amphitheater at Jerash, Jordan, accompanied by a Jordanian bagpipe band. My fellow tourists applauded vigorouly.View attachment 43929

Lol, whatever possessed you to do that?! But very cool and BOLD. I guess you won’t be seeing most of them ever again[emoji23]?

Lol, whatever possessed you to do that?! But very cool and BOLD. I guess you won’t be seeing most of them ever again[emoji23]?
Our trip is sponsored by the USNA alumni association, and is therefore composed largely of fellow alumni and their spouses . The amphitheater is renowned for its acoustics when you stand in a certain spot. One of my fellow alums suggested the song to test it out, but chickened out when it came time to perform, so I soloed. I sing tenor in my church choir, and often solo, so I am not shy about singing in public. And the story about the amphitheater is true - the acoustics are really good. My hat is off to the Romans who designed and built it.

Love reading about everyone's great trips and seeing the pictures.

We returned home last night after taking a small trip to celebrate our 50th Wedding Anniversary. We drove part of the trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway and loved seeing the spectacular fall colors of all the trees. We ended in Asheville NC and explored Downtown Asheville by walking. I have been to the Biltmore twice and my DH did not have an interest in going. We stayed at the Lion and the Rose Bed and Breakfast. We have never been to a B&B before and it was a lovely experience. (Our daughter and SIL gave us a gift certificate Christmas of 2018 to the B&B and we were just using it.)

We went to check the new house build (we have walls!) then to visit DD’s family. DH helped install a Ring camera while I was entertained by our grandson. I got my exercise; the little guy was in the mood for a dance party so we did “ring around the rosy” a dozen times. He wouldn’t let me cheat - I had to fall all the way down. When I tried to do the “ring” part on my knees, he pulled on my leg and said “up!”

After dinner we did the two hour drive home. It sure will be nice when the new house is finished and we’re only half an hour from the grandson (and his little brother coming in February).

Put the winter tires on my car and both of my parents vehicles yesterday and cleaned the garage to make room to park for the winter. In the evening I met up with a couple friends to arrange and record a few original songs (not mine).

I am cleaning up the kitchen after Anna set it on fire last night. She was making jambalaya after I went to bed and there was evidently a flash oil fire. She put it out but there's smoke damage all over the place. Not enough to notify the insurance company, but still a huge mess
Finished!! Even managed to save the stainless soup pot (brillo pads + 16yo muscles = sort of ok, definitely usable .... time to learn how to fix what we mess up). Now onto turning an old length of hose into a drip system then onto watching a game or two

Actually it was yesterday, but we went to a wedding in Hagerstown, MD for the daughter of one of DW's many cousins. The reception was held in a refurbished but unheated barn in Williamsport, MD, the next town down I-81. For once we didn't have to drive for 2 hours+ for a family gathering - our drive was 30 minutes. We have no idea why they chose that location but we're grateful. The wood engraving inside the (very old) church was something to see - I've never seen woodwork like that.

When the sun went down it quickly got chilly, by the time we left the reception the temperature was near 40° and we were glad we had the foresight to bring our coats. Some people didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom