What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

This evening was a combination of "Blow That Dough" and "Today I Learned..." incidents :).

After a relatively quiet day, DW and I decided, after dinner, to go for a "date walk" within our local indoor shopping mall. It was a chilly but still evening outside, so the mall was nice a comfortable.

I cannot remember the last time we were at the mall on a evening a few days before Christmas, it was likely before I retired. If we have to shop there at this time, we would normally go early in the day. While it was a little busier than usual, one could tell the impact of online shopping. One of the 5 anchor stores was no more. About 80 stores open, but about a half dozen closed storefronts.

Our intent was just to stroll and sight see, but we ended up in a little "BTD" mode for two purchases. DW found a nice pinkish jacket (she looks great in that color) at a clearance for $10 that fit her very well. Then at one department store there was a "brand name" blazer in a shade of blue she likes on me in my size, but was "half price" at $130. I noted the information to see if it could be found cheaper elsewhere. We walked into another department store and wandered around. Lo and behold, on a clearance rack in the mens department, was the blazer by a different "brand name" manufacturer but the exact same color and material for $40. There was one left - and it was in my size. Perfect!

Our TIL moment occurred when we ran into some acquaintances and struck up a conversations. I vaguely noticed a store near us closing, but had mentally assumed that, as in the past, the mall was normally opened until 9 and during holiday season stayed open until 10. Wrongo! By the time we paid attention around 8:40, everything had closed at 8:30. We were not thinking "less business, less workers, shorter hours". Lesson learned.

Naturally, the only mall exit left open was on the other side of the complex, so we had to exit and walk around half the mall complex to get to our car.

In addition, DW had left her warm coat in the car to walk around the mall in a cute sweater and leggings. I offered my coat jacket, but she put on the jacket she bought and we walked and cuddled to keep each other warm, so it wasn't that bad :D.

Typing this as she holds her nightly call with her mother, then we'll figure out what movie to watch to finish off the evening.

Sounds like a great evening.

I went to the property to do some staking and hop a grade up to the house site from a manhole that I found a reference to in another document.
Then I had a meeting there with a civil engineer who can take on the project.
The manhole that I shot with the laser is down by that house in the distance, and the laser can "see" the western corners of the house from where it is.
It took two hops to get up there :)
PXL-20231220-194234932.jpg

Last edited:
^^ Very nice! I don't know if lasers have improved, but watch out when it snows. I used to get some bogus readings during snow storms where falling snow would bend the laser beam.

no, they still get messed with by snow, rain, fog, smoke.
All good reasons to postpone the job ;)

It's a cold dull cloudy winter day. No snow is forecast, but it sure looks like it. This is a perfect day to do what I did - stay down in the basement workshop and build a model airplane. The wings & tail feathers are finished except for final sanding and I just started on the fuselage. Right now I'm waiting for some glue to dry (this is mostly an "old school" project, very little CA glue in it) and picking glue off my fingers in between posts here. I like the old glue better (think Ambroid) because it doesn't leave a ridge when sanding like CA does and it retains just a tiny bit of flexibility that CA doesn't have so it'll withstand bumps better. CA works great if you're in a hurry but it's a brittle joint.

I bought a Badass motor (yes, that is the brand name) and if the claimed performance is anything like the fit and finish on it I'm going to be very happy with it. They do cost a bit more but have a good reputation so we'll see.

Oh, and the airplane is what the kit maker calls a "Fifty-one". If you close one eye and squint out the other it has a vague resemblance to a P-51 Mustang. But it's not supposed to win any scale contests, just be a fun knockabout airplane. I'm liking the kit and I intend to buy more from that company.

It's a cold dull cloudy winter day. No snow is forecast, but it sure looks like it. This is a perfect day to do what I did - stay down in the basement workshop and build a model airplane. The wings & tail feathers are finished except for final sanding and I just started on the fuselage. Right now I'm waiting for some glue to dry (this is mostly an "old school" project, very little CA glue in it) and picking glue off my fingers in between posts here. I like the old glue better (think Ambroid) because it doesn't leave a ridge when sanding like CA does and it retains just a tiny bit of flexibility that CA doesn't have so it'll withstand bumps better. CA works great if you're in a hurry but it's a brittle joint.

I bought a Badass motor (yes, that is the brand name) and if the claimed performance is anything like the fit and finish on it I'm going to be very happy with it. They do cost a bit more but have a good reputation so we'll see.

Oh, and the airplane is what the kit maker calls a "Fifty-one". If you close one eye and squint out the other it has a vague resemblance to a P-51 Mustang. But it's not supposed to win any scale contests, just be a fun knockabout airplane. I'm liking the kit and I intend to buy more from that company.

Some of the customer planes over there are cool. I recently came up with info on the RC airplane club here. They fly Wednesday and Saturday mornings. I will have to go check it out some time.

Today I went and wandered through a few antique and gift shops in Kernville. Much more interesting than what they have in the big box stores.

Wet, rainy day here. We are heading out later this evening to take DS out to dinner for his birthday.

Spent the last few days replacing a speedometer cable in a British mini. One of the posters on the technical forum said that it might be easier if you pull the engine when replacing the cable. Now that I'm finally done, I don't think the poster was too far off. I do love tinkering with it, though.

Last night I went out after dark to pick up some take out and saw a car completely covered with Christmas lights. Quite a sight.

Then this morning out running errands I saw a new Hummer, bright pink, with a bow.

Another 50 plus degree day so went hiking and also checked on a minnow trap I gave in a live crick. Haven't had much for live bait so I pulled the cage trap.

It was an interesting day hiking which I went to an area I never hiked into before. I have hiked all around this many times though. I decided to head up to a high cliff area and when I reach the top it flattened out nicely. The view from there was spectacular overlooking a large basin. As I was looking around, I noticed a depression in the soil of about 18 inches and it was filled with volleyball size rocks. I'm absolutely sure it is a grave site. The footprint is about 6 feet long and 3 feet wide filled with about 2 layers of rock. No rocks like them right close by but they are native rock from the area.

On the way home I stopped to see about buying a piece of flat steel to make an outdoor stove/oven at the ranch. Another great day to be in the outdoors.

I have family in town visiting. Today I took the kiddos for a Nordic ski lesson and then out to lunch. This was their second lesson (third time skiing), and they picked right up where they left off last year.

Now it's off to happy hour with Friends.

Last edited:
I took Peanut to work yesterday. I mostly had to move equipment around and it was a good fit.
PXL-20231221-165248742.jpg

PXL-20231221-171405299.jpg

Today we started back on a job that we had put a main trunk down 2 months ago.
Now it's all chopped up with footings and stemwalls, and thickened footing excavations that we need to preserve.
I had to get in there and not collapse any of those excavations, and get back out.
PXL-20231222-153555370.jpg

I made use of the custom T1 steel plate I had fabbed up with the center pick.
PXL-20231222-204510699.jpg

I jumped that footing line both near and far, and used the plate to preserve that deep dig.
PXL-20231222-225815928.jpg

We brought home the Casita trailer we finally scored on the RV trader site. It's been unusually dry here lately, but today of course it was dumping all the 38 miles to Carnation and back. Oh well, good leak check I guess.

We brought home the Casita trailer we finally scored on the RV trader site. It's been unusually dry here lately, but today of course it was dumping all the 38 miles to Carnation and back. Oh well, good leak check I guess.

congrats on the new to you trailer. I don't think those are prone to much leakage, other than the usual suspects where they made penetrations.

congrats on the new to you trailer. I don't think those are prone to much leakage, other than the usual suspects where they made penetrations.

Yup, that's why we decided on a Casita. They seem to hold their value well, so if we end up not using it much we should be able to get a good price for it.

I hope you and Peanut stayed as dry today as the inside of the Casita—what a soaker it was!

Yesterday we went up to the furniture store we found an extra large recliner "The Beast". Got it on order and will probably be in by the end of Jan. I am 6'6" and a regular recliner is really not as relaxing because the legs are not long enough. My Lane "Big Man" is showing its age and Lane is out of business so I had to go looking again. I'm hoping this one is as comfy and long lasting as the Lane has been. Time will tell!

Installed snaps on a winter coat with broken main zipper. Did not seem worth the price of a new zipper. The kit instructions were not clear, but I found a good video that helped. Had no idea you had to hammer that hard on them. It was actually pretty easy.

One would think that being awake from 6AM Christmas morning until 3AM this morning, and spending about 9 of those hours in a car would make for a terrible Christmas, but it was the opposite. Youngest DS came over early to open presents with DW and I, then we all made the long drive to Long Island to have Christmas meals with my oldest brother and SIL and their children and family. We also spent time with older sister and BIL who live walking distance away. Meanwhile two other siblings flew or drove in with some of their families, so at "peak human occupancy" there were 30 people going back and forth between the two houses. The weather was very pleasant for a December day.

Meanwhile our other kids, one of whom lives overseas, video called us while we were driving and they and our grandkids wished us Merry Christmas and sang a few carols, It made the drive much easier (and fortunately traffic was very light, even passing through New York City).

Our our way back home we stopped in NJ at the home of another sibling, SIL, and family. We never have brief visits so we found ourselves leaving there at 1AM. Again thanks to very light traffic and DS giving me a break for part of the drive, we arrived home in less than normal time.

Today is a recovery day to do absolutely nothing and start eating the candy canes off of the tree (Happy National Candy Cane Day! :D). But yesterday's travels were well worth it!

Last edited:
Today I'm going to do all the things I couldn't do yesterday, as I was hit late morning with a stomach bug. Not a fun way to spend Christmas Day. By evening I was able to participate in our planned Zoom virtual gift exchange with the kids, but not with much enthusiasm. Fortunately there were enough leftovers in the fridge that DH didn't starve. Surprised that I slept until 7:30am as I had slept about 6 hours during the day yesterday, but I guess that did the trick as I feel about 80% today. So I'll open the rest of my gifts and tidy up all the Christmas detritus. Not sure I'll feel up to cooking the dinner I'd planned for yesterday so we'll play that by ear.

Baked the breakfast French toast cassarole, now the bone in Prime Rib is in the oven. Kids on their way over for our Christmas celebration.

Back
Top Bottom