What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Ugh, Today DH and I go to get our 10 year TD (tetanus) booster.
That is one vaccine I dread, as I react strongly to them, not enough to be allergic (my Dad was), but get a red, swollen area and very sore for several days.
Luckily, it is only every 10 years!

That is one vaccine I dread, as I react strongly to them, not enough to be allergic (my Dad was), but get a red, swollen area and very sore for several days.

Last time I had a tetanus booster, it was a Tdap shot—Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis. I had an awful flu-like reaction, second only to the Shingrix vaccine. I suspect it was not from the tetanus component, as my previous one was only for tetanus and the reaction wasn't bad. The tetanus-only reaction was weird though. My arm was just a bit sore and the soreness faded after a few days. But then after I went for a run, the injection site suddenly got very red and swollen and I felt kind of strange. It did resolve after another couple days though.

Yes, my last on was a TDAP, as we had a new baby in the family and wanted the pertussis protection for baby. I react the same for both, or have in the past. It's been 10 years, we'll see.
I may take some ibuprofen beforehand to see if it helps! never a fun vaccine, though. But I am just whining about it today :)

Yes, my last on was a TDAP, as we had a new baby in the family and wanted the pertussis protection for baby. I react the same for both, or have in the past. It's been 10 years, we'll see.
I may take some ibuprofen beforehand to see if it helps! never a fun vaccine, though. But I am just whining about it today :)

Ugh, hope it goes ok for you this time.

I'm feeling a little vaccine-weary these days!

Living the Pura Vida early retirement lifestyle this month …

Hanging out with my bride of 40 years at a little lodge on a remote piece of heaven on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica. Currently in a slowly swinging hammock with my “One Love” listening to vintage Bob Marley while watching the afternoon sunlight bounce off the waves.

Living the Pura Vida early retirement lifestyle this month …

Hanging out with my bride of 40 years at a little lodge on a remote piece of heaven on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica. Currently in a slowly swinging hammock with my “One Love” listening to vintage Bob Marley while watching the afternoon sunlight bounce off the waves.
Nice!

Drove the hour+ dpwn to Bako to hit half a dozen stores and buy things I can't find locally, or that are much better priced in the city. Guess I should have shopped cold weather gloves 2 months ago. Walmart had none and Target only had a few. Nothing in my size locally. Slippers too. I want to try stuff like that on, not buy online. Bag of Quikrete (don't even think of shipping cost for a 60# bag that cost $4 :LOL:), Harbor Fright titanium drill bits, disposable shavers. Mrs Wife got a cart load from Waldo. That ate the meat of the day.

I don't actually schedule mine. I just periodically do something stupid that requires a tetanus shot.

I'm 48 hours post-2nd Shingrix shot and would trade places with you! Almost back to normal now, and at least I was prepared after the first shot to do nothing but sleep and complain for a few days. But my arm will be sore for a while longer.

We arrived late Sunday in Mexico, went to a multi-band all day concert on Monday, yesterday we bought groceries and did additional cleaning at our rental.

Today walked an hour on the beach, worked out, cooked a couple good meals, and relaxed. I expect that tomorrow we'll probably do the same. :)

Went to my monthly chiro visit. Told him that I no longer have back and shoulder pain. I attribute the lack of pain to having done zero exercise in the past month. Chiro doesn't think that staying away from exercise is a long term solution.

Also doing some woodworking while multitasking with some 3dprinting. And building a Milwaukee PackOut rack in my Jeep for toolboxes.

With high temps here in negative degrees the last few days I decided to go to ranch for a few hours and spread some grain out for the birds. I try to help a little when the temps go down. In the just under 50 mile round trip, I didn't see one vehicle or one person on the drive today. I putzed along about 35 miles an hour enjoying the scenery.
A few pictures from today.

Attachments

• MFDC8387.jpg
    MFDC8387.jpg
    606.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 00000091.jpg
    00000091.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 19
Forecast calls for lows in the teens (F) and highs in the low 30's from Saturday night through Tuesday night. So, I spent a few hours making sure the insulation in the well pump house was in good shape, covering/insulating the outdoor faucets and moving a half dozen potted plants into the garage.

Our average first freeze of the year is mid-November and we've come close several times but this will be the real deal - almost two months late. Hope the grid can handle the demand, got my portable generator ready and fuel to last 48 hours just in case.

With high temps here in negative degrees the last few days I decided to go to ranch for a few hours and spread some grain out for the birds. I try to help a little when the temps go down. In the just under 50 mile round trip, I didn't see one vehicle or one person on the drive today. I putzed along about 35 miles an hour enjoying the scenery.

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Great bird pics, love the pheasants!

I guess this could fall equally into the "blow that dough" thread, but today I booked a hotel in Plattsburgh, New York for April 8th, so that we can drive up and see the total eclipse. We're staying for at least two days, so if anyone has any ideas for things to do, I'd appreciate hearing them.

I guess this could fall equally into the "blow that dough" thread, but today I booked a hotel in Plattsburgh, New York for April 8th, so that we can drive up and see the total eclipse. We're staying for at least two days, so if anyone has any ideas for things to do, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Ausable Chasm is worth a visit. And of course a lot to do in Burlington across the lake.

Street - nice pics and great gesture on feeding the birds! Thanks for the reminder that I need to feed our birds.

Here the deer are inspecting the ice thickness.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 4.43.05 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 4.43.05 PM.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Street - nice pics and great gesture on feeding the birds! Thanks for the reminder that I need to feed our birds.

Here the deer are inspecting the ice thickness.

Great picture!!! That is an interesting picture for the fact that wildlife knows the best route to take. When crossing ice in winter over cricks or rivers always take the same trail the wildlife travel over ice. They know the safest path to take. They will use the same route when cross open water also. They know where it is the best place to cross.

Great picture!!! That is an interesting picture for the fact that wildlife knows the best route to take. When crossing ice in winter over cricks or rivers always take the same trail the wildlife travel over ice. They know the safest path to take. They will use the same route when cross open water also. They know where it is the best place to cross.

Yes they know all about safety. I watched them first check the ice with their front feet. They stayed on dry ground when the ice broke.

And they travel single file when crossing the lake. This pic is from several years ago.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 6.00.17 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 6.00.17 PM.jpg
    650.7 KB · Views: 6
Yes they know all about safety. I watched them first check the ice with their front feet. They stayed on dry ground when the ice broke.

And they travel single file when crossing the lake. This pic is from several years ago.

Great picture of how they travel single file for weight evenly distribute and the safe trail to use. Now, if you had to cross that lake that path the wildlife took is the path to take to cross.

Thanks, Ronstar that is great.

That is an interesting picture for the fact that wildlife knows the best route to take. When crossing ice in winter over cricks or rivers always take the same trail the wildlife travel over ice. They know the safest path to take. They will use the same route when cross open water also. They know where it is the best place to cross.

Ancient humans new how to do that too, just like the animals. Obviously, today it's no longer a required skill.

Is that your dock in the picture ? Do you leave it in the water all winter ?

Yes that is my dock, and yes I leave it in all winter. It's a floating dock with about 6 plastic floats that make it through freezing with no problem. Also have a plastic kayak launch that I leave in.

We live on a lake that fluctuates about a foot in elevation with no ice movement.

Struggled with getting logged into the Medicare web site. Had to call twice to get my password issues fixed. Grrrrr!

Then paid my first part B premium online and tried to sort out what plan is for me. Confusing. Or at least complex.

Insurance broker suggests a plan C. It seems if I go OG Medicare plus plan D and medigap, it will cost a lot more in premiums. I am healthy now but don't want to worry about falling into a slow approval trap with roadblocks if that changes. Hmm......

Not a fun day. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom