What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Looks like a pop-up beach tent with a front flap, for about twice the price. I've got one of those I haven't used recently. Maybe I'll repurpose it.

You're right. Not being a beach person, I had no idea such a thing as a "beach tent" existed. They are cheaper, some are much larger and would serve the purpose of a paint spray booth better. Thank you! Once again I learn something useful on this forum.

More interior house painting.
Taking it one wall at a time.
2 or 3 hours up and down the ladder, stand bend squat kneel, stand.
Repeat, repeat repeat, etc.
Tomorrow the finish coat and I hope 1 coat is sufficient.
Cuz my shoulders say enough with that roller already! :angel:

Tore out one small cabinet and got the new sink ready to install once I get the new countertop installed. I had to use plumber putty in the drains and got the new facet system mounted on new sink.

Did some other odds and ends getting ready for makeover of the kitchen. The cabinets will be here Friday so the work will begin then.

I have thought about pepper spray to carry but I never have. The reason for not carrying if I had to use it, I would be afraid the dog owner would come after me with a suit because I sprayed their dog.

The victim in most cases becomes the bad guy (villain) and just never wanted that problem. People love their dogs as much as their own children. I get that but if I had dog that bite someone it would be gone the next day.

I did get a report from the law that is has current shots so not concerned about rabies. I watch for infection to see before I go to doc.

Yesterday I was on my usual walk and a dog was running towards me on the opposite side of the road, but when he got near me he crossed the road and started barking at me, I yelled at him, it took a bit and he got a distance away from me, just as two more dogs came up the street and did the same thing, barking and trying to get close. I had the two of them coming at me as I kept scaring them back. Finally they left and caught up with the other dog. Glad that was over. Continued my walk and about 3 blocks later, here are those three dogs and they are coming at me, again I keep scaring them back, but as I scare one the others would move in. I looked around for some weapon, I saw a brick and as I moved toward it, the dogs moved toward me, so again I'd scare them back. I finally got to the brick and put it over my head, they recognized the threat and gave me distance. I was in an area where someone always leaves some trash I walked away from them and found a 5 ft aluminum rod. I picked it up and when I resumed my walk. When I got down the road they came at me again, know I'm armed, and I'm swinging the rod and finally the owner open the door and all three dogs ran in the house while I was giving the owner my two cents. My heart was pounding so hard it hurt for two blocks before getting back to normal. I will have no problem protecting myself from a dog that should not be loose to begin with. To me three dogs is a pack and dangerous. Today I waked with my golf club handle I made into a walking stick. No sign of any dogs. Btw, I like dogs, and any friends that have dogs knows how much fun I have with them. Both my wife and son have had a problem with one dog at that property, not sure when they got two more.

Time2, glad all turned out good on your walk. I don't with a walking stick in town, but I never leave my truck without my trek stick when I'm in the country. I have had a few encounters over the years with dogs when riding a bike and walking. On a bike when they come at you is a different challenge than when walking.

I will have scares from the bite but has healed up nicely. Been one week ago this evening I was bite.

I had to crawl under out cabin yesterday to finish up some plumbing work. It was a miserable task...there is just 18" of room, I spent an hour crawling around on rocks plus it was wet due to some leaking pipes.

Today I was going to do the electrical but just didn't feel like it so I sat on the deck and read a book instead :LOL:

Time2, glad all turned out good on your walk. I don't with a walking stick in town, but I never leave my truck without my trek stick when I'm in the country. I have had a few encounters over the years with dogs when riding a bike and walking. On a bike when they come at you is a different challenge than when walking.

I will have scares from the bite but has healed up nicely. Been one week ago this evening I was bite.

Glad you are healing well. I was bit on the face by a dog as a kid. The scar, pretty small now, is something I never think about, but in my late 20s early 30s my dad said something probably quite innocent and I lashed out, funny because it is something that I don't notice and am not the least bit consciousness about. Makes me think there is some unconscious fear about being bit, but then I have fun with almost everyone's dog. First time I was left alone with my daughters dog I taught it 4 tricks while the family was gone. They were all amazed when they got home and I showed them what the dog learned.

Yesterday, we went and got our second Covid Bivalent vaccine shot. My arm is only a teeny bit sore.

I waited because I have a national conference to go to July 17-19. We are also leaving on a cruise the end of July.

Dreamer, we did the same thing with our last shot. We timed it so that it would be at maximum effectiveness when we left on a trip.
The office support staff was on double duty this morning. They can get a lot done when they put their heads together.
PXL-20230627-131550753.jpg

I'm on a commercial nursing home job doing a little extra that needed to get dug out with the excavator. We were tying in the elevator pit pump line to the 8" storm piping.

PXL-20230627-190745367.jpg

PXL-20230627-190748585.jpg

Guys, as a dog owner I'm embarrassed. People should take better care.
In the past we've had dogs that were big enough to be a little threatening, but now we have settled on portable dogs. It's much nicer when you can just scoop them up and if they're sick and having a hard time getting around they're not hard on you too lol.

Last edited:
I was a pallbearer for a friends' military funeral honors and committal service this morning at a veterans cemetery. He was diagnosed with cancer just after we returned from France and died about 3 weeks later. Fortunately we were able to see him before he passed, and he was at peace with his situation.

He was a casual but neat dresser, and loved to talk baseball with us. He liked to wear MLB team polo shirts, so all the pallbearers wore their favorite MLB team's polo shirt instead of suits. Interestingly, he was laid to rest within 20 feet of both one of the pallbearer's mother and one of the pallbearer's father-in-law.

Afterwards some of us stopped for lunch on the way home, and continued to share good stories about him.

Skyking, I think that your dogs look perfect.

Jollystomper, I am sorry for the loss of your friend. I love how the pallbearers honored him by wearing their MLB team's polo shirt.

Have a good Irish stew cooking in the crock pot today--the house gonna smell pretty good soon!

More interior house painting.
Taking it one wall at a time.
2 or 3 hours up and down the ladder, stand bend squat kneel, stand.
Repeat, repeat repeat, etc.
Tomorrow the finish coat and I hope 1 coat is sufficient.
Cuz my shoulders say enough with that roller already! :angel:

Have you looked at/considered a pressure roller? I've used one in combination with an airless sprayer unit and it does save all that bending to reload the roller with paint and that makes it considerably faster. It mattered a great deal to me because it saved my back from all that bending down, so much so that it was worthwhile for me even though I was only doing one room.

The down side is that all that gear takes quite a while to clean, to the point that unless one is doing two or more rooms at the same time it probably isn't worth the cleanup time unless you're painting a very large room. I've used the Graco unit but Titan makes one too, and I think HomeRight makes one as well. At least they make the 3/8" nap rollers that I've used. The cleanup I could do sitting down so that made the whole thing worthwhile for me.

So far the day feels pretty full! I went to breakfast with some friends, knocked out financials, prepared and mailed the monthly giving, and now I'm going through backed up mail and email - a day peppered with both work and fun. Now heading out for some down time with DW before the dreaded "helping a friend move" mammoth task tomorrow and Saturday. Titus 3 of the Bible instructs believers to "... be ready for every good deed, ..." This feels like a big one. :)

I had to crawl under out cabin yesterday to finish up some plumbing work. It was a miserable task...there is just 18" of room, I spent an hour crawling around on rocks plus it was wet due to some leaking pipes.

Today I was going to do the electrical but just didn't feel like it so I sat on the deck and read a book instead :LOL:

Awesome! That's often my approach. :LOL:

Tore out the last piece of countertop and kitchen sink and cabinet. Did some more painting and odds and ends for the cabinets and countertop to be delivered tomorrow. I'm hoping to have all cabinets and countertops on by Sunday. I sure hope all goes as planned.

My wife wanted this new kitchen for a long time now. I really didn't want to do it, but I knew that she did, so it has helped me be motivated and to do it for her.

Also got a text and picture that the rancher that hays my hay ground is cutting today. It will be so nice to finally have it cut.

Last edited:
A BIL had been given a small R/C airplane by his brother and he wanted to see if he could fly it. This is one of those very small airplane/radio combinations with about a 12 inch wingspan and advertised as "anyone can fly it" because it has a gyro in it. What the advertisement doesn't mention is that won't help much if you don't have several acres of flat land to learn on.

I immediately quashed any thoughts he'd had about flying it around his neighborhood, telling him that the airplane's life expectancy there would be measured in seconds. So we went down to the R/C field where I normally fly and I brought along a couple of larger airplanes and the "buddy box" trainer. He got in a couple of flights with that and then wanted to tackle the new airplane, a "sort of" scale Corsair, if you close one eye and squint out the other.

Much to my surprise he was able to launch (the wheels are too small to roll on even short grass) and fly it around for a bit, and even landed it more-or-less on the runway. There were several close calls with the trees surrounding the field but fate smiled upon him and he didn't hit any. By that time we were both getting a bit hot & tired so we called it a day.

Changed the oil in the truck, fixed the EGT probe wiring, and more . It is an ongoing process.

It was yesterday, I got up, my wife informed me the sprinkler pump just growled when she tried to use it. uh, ok. Later in the morning, she ask, "you going to fix the pump?" Me, oh ya, I forgot. So, I grabbed my meter a nut driver and a screwdriver. Verified it just growled. Pulled off the rear cover, poked around at the centrifugal switch, it seemed alright, then pulled the start capacitor, 161uf, found it measured, well, basically nothing (48nf). The local irrigation store had the exact replacement, once installed the pump ran fine and I was a hero, for 15 minutes.

Trying to capture and relocate woodchucks that keep damaging my cars. Today we could see the trap was sprung. Went out for a closer look. Something had been in it but was strong enough or smart enough to bust it's way out. We relocated 2 of them last year. There's a wooded county park about 5 miles away.
There's a mulberry tree that drops berries the critters like on the driveway. We've sited one a couple times recently.

Have you looked at/considered a pressure roller? I've used one in combination with an airless sprayer unit and it does save all that bending to reload the roller with paint and that makes it considerably faster. It mattered a great deal to me because it saved my back from all that bending down, so much so that it was worthwhile for me even though I was only doing one room.

The down side is that all that gear takes quite a while to clean, to the point that unless one is doing two or more rooms at the same time it probably isn't worth the cleanup time unless you're painting a very large room. I've used the Graco unit but Titan makes one too, and I think HomeRight makes one as well. At least they make the 3/8" nap rollers that I've used. The cleanup I could do sitting down so that made the whole thing worthwhile for me.

Thanks Walt. I never even heard of a pressure roller. Interesting. :)

I am doing good to do one coat on a wall maybe 20 feet long x 8 foot high in a day. Cleanup consists of tossing the nitrile gloves, putting the brush in a sandwich bag and rolling it up. Same with the roller, but bigger bag. I have found they will still be good a few days down the line. If they dry out, in the trash they go and I use new ones. Also no need to wash the roller pans or the bucket for doing trim or cutting in. Just let them dry. I have separate ones for primer, and Swiss Coffee.

Read the entire Supreme Court decision about Harward and UNC.

IMHO the best line therein is:

" Universities may define their missions as they see fit. The Constitution defines ours. "

Yesterday, we went to Bangor, Maine, for the first time. We walked around town for a while, had an excellent early dinner, and then watched a very fun production of the musical "Mary Poppins " by the Penobscot Theater Company. The young wife made many of the costumes for it, so of course we had to go see them in action.

Very cool!
I filled the trailer tank yesterday evening and pressurized it, and found a leaky toilet valve.
Most of yesterday afternoon was devoted to caring for the dog, who suffered dysphoria through about 3 am, when I got enough meds in her to knock her out again.

Back
Top Bottom