What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

DH got down the Christmas boxes, so I guess today is decorating day.
Will save doing the tree for another day--I have so many old, fragile, glass and crystal ornaments, it takes forever to unpack them. And this year, will need to put the tree up on a table, due to puppy. So actually thinking I won't be putting the fragile ornament up this year:LOL:

Kicked off our holiday movie watching with The Man Who Invented Christmas, a movie about Charles Dickens' struggle to write A Christmas Carol. Fun story with great casting and cinematography, very appealing visually. About ten minutes in, one of Dickens' servants is telling his kids a story, and it's a scene that could hang as a painting alongside the works of baroque masters, IMO:

Attachments

• the_story_teller-scene_from_the_man_who_invented_christmas.png
    the_story_teller-scene_from_the_man_who_invented_christmas.png
    622 KB · Views: 7
we loaded the dead freezer up and Peanut and I took it to the landfill. I put him on the console on my quilted work coat, and he did not move from under my elbow. He was very warm and comfortable and he did not move a lick. I had to shift around him :D
PXL-20231203-011345866.jpg

Early this afternoon, the young wife called me for an emergency plumbing situation in the dressing room at the theater where her company was just about to start their musical production. So I rushed over with my tools, got the toilet unclogged and back in commission, and then cleaned up the flooded mess backstage while they all put on the first act of the show. Lucky for her, we live about 1/4 mile from the theater so I could get there quickly.

Early this afternoon, the young wife called me for an emergency plumbing situation in the dressing room at the theater where her company was just about to start their musical production. So I rushed over with my tools, got the toilet unclogged and back in commission, and then cleaned up the flooded mess backstage while they all put on the first act of the show. Lucky for her, we live about 1/4 mile from the theater so I could get there quickly.

Nice Work!!!! They're going to call you Superman!!!

Street, do you ever see wolves? Big controversy here in MN wolves vs deer. I have never heard you mention them, so just wondering if they are on your property.

There are a few around I just got pictures from a guy that seen some. Cats I see more than wuff.

The ranchers in our area are getting notices from Fed wildlife that wolves are in way south Arizona where home is. The Mexican wolf was reintroduced in New Mexico, and it just took time for wolves to get here. I have upgraded my carry when I walk the dogs.

napa 034.jpg

..... Big controversy here in MN wolves vs deer. .....

If you could get some of your Minnesota wolves to come and eat our Connecticut deer, I would greatly appreciate it. They are enormous pests around here.

Just bought a new wireless home weather station (Wind, rain, temps, pressure, humidity). I temporarily got it setup and running last night just before dark. Now it's time to set it up permanently. Almost too easy. Plug and play. I may even read the instructions someday. :)

What kind did you get? I've been thinking about getting one for DH for Christmas.

Today we plan to go mattress shopping. DH gets to go take naps!
I try to lay on a mattress at least 15-20 minutes, but it is not easy with the salespeople hanging around. I don't think you can really get a feel for the mattress in less time.

There are several mattress stores nearby, so it won't be a lot of driving.
Our tempupedic is 14 years old, and it has started to have a little divot in the last year. Not enough to void the warranty to get a replacement, I already checked. But enough to affect my sleep.

If you could get some of your Minnesota wolves to come and eat our Connecticut deer, I would greatly appreciate it. They are enormous pests around here.

Hopefully they would share a few wolves down here in WV as well. Last time I looked it up, WV and PA run neck and neck for the number of drivers killed/injured from deer strikes. And nationally, deer are the most "dangerous animal" for that reason.

Made an appointment for installation of fiber internet service next week. The only option we have had was Spectrum cable, but the phone company recently brought fiber to our street.

A month or so ago, the cable company made a big deal over how they were upgrading their systems so we would have much better service (and by the way, $5 more a month). OK, I waited to see how that would go.

The "upgraded" internet by cable went from 70 down, 5 up to the new 40 down, 10 up. Who do they think they're kidding?

Looking forward to getting the fiber, as it will be 600/300, and $25/month cheaper than what I have now.

I put away all the photos and documents I'd dragged out for my month on Ancestry.com. Posted a bunch of them online with entries for just over 100 family members. Learned about one minor scandal—grandma had an illigitimate child when she was 14. I always thought that aunt looked different than her four sisters.

Although I don't mind shoveling by hand I finally broke down and acquired a snow blower today. Two reasons:

1. We'll be in Mexico for 6 weeks and DIL will be house sitting and I can't expect her to hand shovel a double width 80' driveway.

2. My uncle is 85 and hired someone to do his driveway and offered me his 2 year old machine for free.

What kind did you get? I've been thinking about getting one for DH for Christmas.
Sainlogic Wireless Weather Station - Not the cheapest nor most expensive. It's made In China but seems to work just fine in Texas weather. :) The outside weather station is battery and solar powered. The inside display unit is AC powered with battery backup. And works up to ~300 feet apart.

mail

Last edited:
I invite everyone to raise a glass of your favorite beverage today in honor of the 90th anniversary of the repeal of Prohibition.

Attachments

• repeal.jpg
    repeal.jpg
    673.7 KB · Views: 2
Eye appt this afternoon and new glasses are on tap for today, it will probably be a minor BTD for the glasses!

First post in this thread.

Today started for me yesterday when I decided to make base for chocolate ice cream. Wife was heading upstairs (early) to bed and I wasn't ready. She wrinkled her nose as if to say "now, you're doing this...now?" Yes, now.

Over coffee this morning I was hemming and hawing about going to rake clams, the tide was earlier than I expected, and if the expensive rake I just bought wasn't enough motivation, remembering my boys eyes rolling in the back of their head as we ate linguini and clam sauce on Saturday did it for me. I raked last week but couldn't cook them until Saturday. So I raked up 4 dozen.

Got home, scrubbed the clams, churned the ice cream and threw together a batch of semolina bread to eat with the pasta. Just preheated the oven.

We're gonna eat good tonight.

Attachments

• 20231206_103431.jpg
    20231206_103431.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20231206_112745.jpg
    20231206_112745.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231206_112811.jpg
    20231206_112811.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 3
Put the snow tires on DW's Subaru. Scheduled both vehicles for oil undercoating and did the annual dance with Sirius XM to get my monthly rate back to the original $5.99/month form what they were going to raise it to tomorrow, $20.22/month. :)

Went to ranch for the day it ended up around 60 degrees. I did some timber cutting and limbing and clearing an old tree groove from dead and fallen trees. I also spent a couple hours leveling a ditch that was pulled for irrigation many years ago. I was digging the ridges down and filling the ditch. The ground was frozen on the north side but did get a lot of it done and started.

Ringing the bell for Salvation Army Kettle tonight.

Casual retirement dinner at a local nothing special chain restaurant tonight for a former co-worker. Got to see a few people that I haven't seen in a few years.

Maybe should have posted in "examples of current inflation"...$49 for a basic chicken quesadilla and 2 happy hour beers (after the mandatory 18% gratuity).

We went to dinner with friends, then to see the musical "Dream Girls" at the Goodspeed Opera. It was fun. They are all musical theater people, so it was a different experience hearing about the show through their lens.

Moved our 2 cell numbers from T Mobile to Mint Mobile, saving us almost $500 a year. They use T Mobile towers etc so service should be about the same. The move was not hard to do.

Back
Top Bottom