What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Late lunch. Some airfare shopping.

But mostly working on our respective tax preparations.

A today at home. Rained and snowed so roads might not have been the best. Tomorrow everything will be good so will get out in the back country.

I updated the firmware for my mesh routers. Then I spent the better part of 3 hours troubleshooting my wifi network, which stopped working for some reason. Then I installed a new Nest doorbell camera. The one we had suffered a failed doorbell, which is apparently a common issue and has no repair. Then I went to Home Depot to get a replacement trim cover for our patio recessed lights which I broke while changing the light bulb. HD doesn’t carry the trim anymore so I went to Lowe’s. Long day ..

A surprising improvement today. Combination of a new router and a new internet source (fiber replaced cable) and everything is so much faster. There is a big download I do almost monthly, and it always took close to two hours. Today it zipped right through in 15 minutes. :dance:

Our Son is coming over for dinner, planning teriyaki and sticky rice with veggies.
The steak is marinating in homemade sauce now.
Heading to the library later to return some books and gather more.

Top step of the podium at this weekends bike race.

Gravel road race season is coming up fast. Need to BTD on an updated gravel race bike. My old race rig survived two seasons and endless workouts. Time for a replacement.

Such interesting days you all have, Fun Stuff!!!

I'm leaving early for the ranch to finish tinning old shop. I got most done yesterday but had to leave after lunch because things were starting to get muddy. I also will cut up an old-time hay rake and will sell scrap iron at some time. Going to be a cooler day so won't have to worry about mudding up the road getting into main place.

Last edited:
It wasn't today, but I received a check from my bank for an over payment on a HELOC. The check was for $0.23. So I took the $0.23 check to my bank and made a deposit. :confused:

Yesterday installed 2 fan lights with new LED outer ring with an inside fan, to replace the old traditional style fan lights with external blades and the glass individual lights. Big difference in the light with the new LED much more light, pus can adjust the color. DW is very happy with the new fan lights.

I had a temporary crown put in today* - will return in three weeks for the permanent crown.

After all the numbing and drilling and other associated fun, I stopped by Harris Teeter to pick up two Rx for my sore tooth. One was prescribed by Dr. Haagen Dazs, and one by Dr. Mac and Cheese. Nothing but soft food for this old gal tonight! :LOL:

Happy Valentine's day to me. :D

*A word to the (un)wise - if you put Hershey's kisses in the fridge (as I do) and then bite down on one as soon as you take it out of the fridge, it can snap a tooth, and that piece of candy could end up costing you $1,398.00. Lesson learned. :facepalm::facepalm:

Last edited:
Took a little hike along a trial that leads down to the river some miles below the dam. Peaceful and beautiful. Of course some jackass left their beer box and 3 empty cans which I carted back up the trail to the trash.

Attachments

• IMG_20240214_110943.jpg
    IMG_20240214_110943.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
Finished up the income taxes and e-filed both of them, so that's done for another year.

Took a little hike along a trial that leads down to the river some miles below the dam. Peaceful and beautiful. Of course some jackass left their beer box and 3 empty cans which I carted back up the trail to the trash.

thank you for that. It is a lovely canyon and a shame to trash it.
The day we drove down it, there was a pickup truck wrecked over the edge of the road and straight up and down, like you could use the tailgate for a table.

I am putting some time in cleaning up at work. I loaded the tools and excavator for a job on Monday.

Went to Daytona Speedway yesterday for the initial Daytona 500 qualifying races. It was fun, having never been to Daytona. Also have tickets for the big race Sunday, weather is not looking good and high probability of being postponed a day to allow the rain to move through and out.

I was being a nice guy and agreed to work all this week so ALL the younger guys could attend required off-site training. My normal schedule is one day a week.

Has been a few years since i worked a full week. Wasn’t pretty but got everything done and customers got what they ordered. Time for a nap!

On the way to Mexico 6 weeks ago I saw an old friend of a friend that I haven't seen in 30 years in the next row on the plane. We chatted for a bit and exchanged numbers and last night we met them for dinner. My wife and his got along great and now we have 2 more friends to visit while we're here as we gradually extend our winter vacation (6 weeks this year, 8 weeks next).

Filed taxes for 2023. Usually I wait, but this year I get a nominal amount back.

On pay-off the mortgage or not, I saved $3321 in taxes by carrying a mortgage (30-year @ 2.75%), since I was able to itemize thanks to mortgage interest deduction.

My only regret is this is not my forever home, so someday I will lose the mortgage.

Now to do some trip planning for upcoming vacations.

Coffee shop hangout, got home, two loads of laundry, then hang them on solar clothes drier. Watched some instructional videos of Blues dancing.

Spent the day clearing out debris from the creek that flows thru my orchard. Upstream the creek flows down the hill into my orchard where the creek flattens, widens out and all the debris in the creek slows down, jams up and makes a mess.

All is cleaned up now and water is flowing smoothly.

Home after 6 weeks in Mexico, got in at 2:30 in the morning.

Slept in a bit, unpacked suitcases, bought groceries, did some cleanup snow shoveling.

I just got back from a rescue. A guy that has a summer cabin came up with his son to do some ice fishing and took a summer shortcut in the winter and got stuck in very soft drifted snow that was about 18 inches deep and 100 feet long. Someone in an atv happened by and gave him a ride over to the Ranch. He got another ride to my place. We took my chained up plow truck on the forest service road and plowed what we could and hand shoveled a bunch. I pulled him through the rest of the soft snow then got turned around so he could follow me and he didnt have another problem on the 3 miles of back road getting out.

Back
Top Bottom