What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Mowed the back yard and swapped out the mower blade for a freshly sharpened one, then sharpened the one I'd just taken off and put it back in the box for next swap out.

Good gravel bike ride today. 18 miles and 2,000 ft of elevation. Tested and adjusted new hydration pack on todays training ride. Longer ride tomorrow then taper for next weekends 100 mile race.

Moved some more stepping stones and bricks over behind the shed and out of my view from the deck. An hour of weight lifting was more than enough. :angel:

Returned from a short (5 days) trip to Bryson City, NC at the Freymont Inn to celebrate our 37th anniversary. Our honeymoon was backpacking in the Smoky Mountains those many years ago. I wanted to walk a short distance on the trail we hiked back then to a couple of waterfalls one last time. At 75 my right leg is not capable of hiking any distance in the mountains anymore so this was to be my last trip and we had a great time. The round-trip drive from home to the Inn and back was 1100 miles and that was also a challenge to sit that long and fight traffic. After decades of backpacking, camping, and hiking all over the US and Canada I was glad to have this chance.

Returned from a short (5 days) trip to Bryson City, NC at the Freymont Inn to celebrate our 37th anniversary. Our honeymoon was backpacking in the Smoky Mountains those many years ago. I wanted to walk a short distance on the trail we hiked back then to a couple of waterfalls one last time. At 75 my right leg is not capable of hiking any distance in the mountains anymore so this was to be my last trip and we had a great time. The round-trip drive from home to the Inn and back was 1100 miles and that was also a challenge to sit that long and fight traffic. After decades of backpacking, camping, and hiking all over the US and Canada I was glad to have this chance.
^^^^^^^Made me smile and remember. Not as far away as you but we spent the 1st night of our honeymoon in Bryson City as well in June 1971. I have always loved those mountains as well as the N Ga. mountains too. I have led many group motorcycle rides all over those areas too. Thank you sir and a happy anniversary too!

^^^^^^^Made me smile and remember. Not as far away as you but we spent the 1st night of our honeymoon in Bryson City as well in June 1971. I have always loved those mountains as well as the N Ga. mountains too. I have led many group motorcycle rides all over those areas too. Thank you sir and a happy anniversary too!
Thank you. I'm guessing you have been to Wheels Through Time Motorcycle Museum in Maggie Valley. We have taken our motorcycles through N Ga to the Blue Ridge Parkway and I-81 to Md. a few years back. A fun 2000+ round trip ride except for some of the worst roads in SC. I'm sad to say I had to sell my motorcycles due to balance issues.

Local carwash is giving free car washes to veterans, so I took the car down. I recently had been on a short road trip through farm country. I traveled many dirt roads. The car was trashed from dirt and bug. Nice to get it cleaned for free.

Picked our 4th batch of mangos. We have easily surpassed 100 lbs this year, and the birds and squirrels another 50. A true bonanza, and they taste great.

Attachments

• IMG_3643.jpeg
    IMG_3643.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 7
I got the car apart and found I needed more parts.
<mandalorian>THIS IS THE WAY</mandalorian>

Drove DW to and from her physical therapy appointment.

A few days ago I bought ten bags of red mulch at Home Depot, who had them on sale for $2/bag, almost half off. Understand now that DW has wanted red much for the last 20 years, so I wasn't making a wild guess there.

Today we had a guy come by for an estimate on pulling out some old bushes that DW doesn't like and replacing them with Azalea bushes (I forget the exact name of them). Anyway, the guy suggested a different color mulch to go with them and contrast better with the red brick on the front of the house. DW readily agrees.

Okay, so now what am I supposed to do with this red mulch? Good thing I left it in the back of the pickup and didn't haul ten bags of it down to the shed. Anyway, I look around and notice that the next door neighbor has red mulch on their planted area in front of the house. And yes, they would take it and use it next year. Problem solved.

Yesterday, the plan was to go kayaking this morning. Well, 15 mph winds, not so much fun with choppy waves on the lake, instead went to the camp. Mostly walked about in the forest, stirred up a young deer hanging out near the trail, sat on the swing by the stream, watched little fishes swim about.
Then decided to do something less useful, in the form some pseudo w*rk.
A retired man has to have his priorities straight.
Checked the the solar systems's batteries, added water, cleaned the tops of batteries, sprayed some stuff on the terminal to minimize corrosion.
Then came home around 4 PM.

Picked our 4th batch of mangos. We have easily surpassed 100 lbs this year, and the birds and squirrels another 50. A true bonanza, and they taste great.
Where are you that you can grow mangos and how did you do it? I am in N Fl and have never seen anyone that could successfully grow them here. Maybe in S Fl where it doesn't get as cold.

Took the boat out for the first day of fishing this season. No luck, but it was great being on the salt water again. No fun docking solo in my new slip today. The wind picked up and blew me off the dock twice. No crowd watching in my so I didn't care - so nice to have a slip right down the street from my house. The lawn awaits me this afternoon, I swear I'm not fertilizing the lawn next year it's growing like crazy!

Took the boat out for the first day of fishing this season. No luck, but it was great being on the salt water again. No fun docking solo in my new slip today. The wind picked up and blew me off the dock twice. No crowd watching in my so I didn't care - so nice to have a slip right down the street from my house. The lawn awaits me this afternoon, I swear I'm not fertilizing the lawn next year it's growing like crazy!
Someone should invent a fertilizer for grass that allows it to be root and color healthy and only grow two inches tall. Problem solved!

We went to the South Florida National Cemetery yesterday to attend the interment of my father’s remains. He passed some time ago but years after his burial my mum confided to me he wanted to be buried in a veteran’s cemetery and asked my help to make that happen. It took years and there were considerable obstacles, but yesterday it happened.

The South Florida National Cemetery is a beautiful resting place.

We went to the South Florida National Cemetery yesterday to attend the interment of my father’s remains. He passed some time ago but years after his burial my mum confided to me he wanted to be buried in a veteran’s cemetery and asked my help to make that happen. It took years and there were considerable obstacles, but yesterday it happened.
Well done, MB! That's awesome!

5 years ago today, I commenced my retirement. I have enjoyed every minute of those 5 years. But, man, did they go by fast. So, my advice to those caught in the OMY loop is don't dawdle; it's later than you think.

Baby sitting the granddaughters for today and some of tomorrow. The kids (DS&DIL) went to Bozeman for a wedding this afternoon. The 16-month-old is easier to take care for than the 7-year-old. It takes a lot more things for that age to keep them busy.

Last edited:
We met my wife's cousin's for monthly breakfast. Only a couple showed up today and we are not meeting in July and August because everybody gets busy.
I took my own car and then exercised some of the freedom that makes this job bearable. We were scheduled to backfill this groundwork on Monday, and a pair of rain events are rapidly approaching from out on the Pacific. It is going to dump 1"~2" over Sunday and Monday afternoons.
I would much rather do this in the dry. We did not have big plans and I had a pleasant busy morning and afternoon getting it done. The product is better, and I'm not going to fight the rain on Monday.
PXL_20240601_223756699.jpg

PXL_20240601_223810700.jpg

I got the car apart and found I needed more parts.
<mandalorian>THIS IS THE WAY</mandalorian>
I got it back together Thursday in time to go stir the pot at the city permit office on Friday. We are slightly closer to getting a permit.

Leisurely 6 mile bike ride around the hood and then sat with a neighbor's wife who has dementia while he completed some errands.

Well, DW hasn't been feeling so great the past few days (feeling sluggish and sleeping a lot), so I've been getting a taste of what widowers and single guys go through. Today after doing several chores (e.g., start of the month financials, grocery shopping, doing and folding laundry, some cleaning), I relaxed a little and looked forward to the baseball game four friends and I planned to attend. But - our game got rained out! Ugh! Bottom line - I treated them all to dinner out (I would've done it at the ballgame anyway). They were very appreciative, and as all of us enjoyed dinner and good conversation, I thought, "THESE are the moments we work for all our lives!" ;)

Gravel bike race in Bend, Oregon today. 64 miles and 6,200 ft of hills to climb. Finished middle of the old guy (Masters) group. Happy with that result.

It was a difficult course. Lots of loose sand and gravel on the forest highways and the biggest climb … 1,700’ in a mere 7 miles … was near the end. That one hurt. 😢 And the wind was blowing and was spitting rain up at the higher elevations.

Currently relaxing in the hotel jacuzzi with a cold adult beverage. Life is good again!

Getting ready for a short road trip to Wyoming latter this week. I mowed, trimmed, and fertilized the yard this morning. I'm about to go out and get a haircut, fill up the gas tank, and get some cash. Tomorrow I'll pack and get the car snacks ready. I'll leave early Wednesday and get back Friday. I'll be hiking and visiting historic sites out in the middle of nowhere. Just the way I like it.

Back
Top Bottom