What do you put in your coffee?

If the coffee is good...Black!
If the coffee is not so good...Black!
If the coffee is horrible...Black!

Did I mention I prefer my coffee Black? :D

I load mine up with International Delight French Vanilla. If that isn't available I can go with half and half or heavy cream :LOL: I also like milk shakes.

Stealing the thread, I also like green tea - better on the ole digestive tract. I heard Don & Mike (radio show) raving about Starbuck's peppermint syrup in green tea so I boght a bottle from my local joint (they didn't have teh little foo-foo bottles so they sold me a jug of the stuff for $9 - great deal). Green tea with peppermint syrup is grrrrreat!

I am stil cold turjey on chocolate -- balance in everything. :LOL: :LOL:

At home: I stir in 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk and a splash of sugar free, zero calorie chocolate syrup.

Elsewhere, if it is decent coffee: I drink it black with no sweetener. Or, if it is listed as cafe au lait then I order it that way (like with beignets and such).

Elsewhere, if it is really bad: I stir in half and half (or creamer), and Equal (lots of both).

I heard the navy guys dont think it tastes right after retirement unless its got a pinch of salt in it.

Lots of cream, lots of sugar, lots of extra coffee.

Anyone else notice that dunkin donuts now sells online? If you buy regularly, they give a discount and if you buy a lot at once (say enough for 2 months) the shipping fees are somewhat mitigated. I think i'm paying about $5.50 a lb for the stuff and its an actual 16 ounce pound!

Maybe not the best coffee on the planet, but I drank a shitload of it when i lived back east and it tastes like home.

Consumer reports rated it in their top 5 during the last test a couple of years ago, but only the pre-ground stuff. Curiously, the whole bean rated poorly. In a similar test run by Americas Test Kitchen, they gave the whole bean stuff two thumbs down for having too many "quakers" in the bag. Apparently DD does a better job of quaker removal when making the ground stuff than the whole bean.

ATK determined that there was a direct correlation between how many "quakers" were in each sample of coffee and how good it was...fewer quakers, better coffee.

“Quaker” is coffee-industry jargon for an underdeveloped coffee bean that fails to get sorted out before the roasting stage. Lighter in color, and less dense than a regular, mature bean, quakers can wreak havoc on the coffee's flavor profile, imparting a spoiled taste to the brew. In general, the better the coffee did in the taste testing, the fewer quakers beans were in the bag.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10928519/

Anyhow, if you sign up for the automatic delivery, they give a 20% discount. It costs me about $8.xx to ship four (actual 16oz) pounds. They have specials a couple of times a year for additional discounts. The bags are well enough sealed to still have good aroma and flavor after two months, and we drink about 2lbs a month, so we went with 4lbs every other month automatic.

I think it beats the crap out of most of the supermarket stuff and for a substantially lower price.

Hmmm, but the grinder is really fun! If I buy pre-ground I don't get to scare the cats!!

Peet's coffee is my favorite!

hey, even oprah recommends it ;)

oh, and i have a burrrrr grinder..so loud but great!

i like lots of cream or milk, lots of sugar - even if it's great coffee! i love cream and sugar!!!! :D :D :D

i put cream and sugar in my tea too - english style...

Laurence said:
Hmmm, but the grinder is really fun! If I buy pre-ground I don't get to scare the cats!!

Buy pre-ground and put some dry popcorn in the grinder.

Best of both worlds...

Costa Rican coffee is the best I've had so far - but I'm open to trying more!!

Heated 1% organic (or at least, no bovine growth hormone) milk is what I put in the coffee.

In costa rica they come around (the restaurants) with one pot for the coffee and one pot with the warmed milk - isn't that a grand idea? Why do we serve the milk cold?

Dang, all this coffee talk is so evocative, I think I'll have to make some Costa Rican coffee!

Laurence said:
We use my Christmas present now, it's a Cuisinart drip maker that grinds the beans right before the brew. The coffee definitely doesn't need cream or sugar now, but I do add a little creamer (see above).
So now that you're using a grinder, can you tell the difference between freshly-ground and what's been sitting in the freezer for a couple weeks?

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I heard the navy guys dont think it tastes right after retirement unless its got a pinch of salt in it.
In the good ol' submarine days, before my time, it was a dollop of Otto fuel. The theory was that a little chronic exposure kept down the symptoms, but I sure hope the VA wards aren't full of these torpedomen.

I could never tell the difference with salted coffee, but it's easy to improve something that's bought in tons by the U.S. govt for $1.50/pound.

Since I've retired, though, I've learned that there's not supposed to be a little oil slick floating on top of the brew...

Try this, one shot Tia Maria one shot Kalua fresh whipped cream and a little Grand Mariner on top. Goes great with coffee or should I say Coffee goes great with it.

I grind the beans and add 2% milk. I also make lattes at home, with the steamer immersed in 2% milk directly in the bowl, and sprinkle with cocoa or nutmeg. It's essential to run vinegar through your latte machine every 50-100 runs.

Favourite varieties are Colombian or Kenyan dark roast. Sometimes I buy flavoured beans. I avoid Starbucks as it seems to contain too much caffeine for me. Around this neck of the woods, the best "office" coffee, for my money, is Tim Horton's. I avoid creamer like the plague.

I also use a Cuisinart grind & brew . It elevated me from a lousy coffee maker to a pretty good coffee maker. Eight O Clock coffee with 2% milk.

Southern Comfort
or
Amaretto

(on the rare occasion when I have coffee)

Not unlike the proverbial dryer sheet, my coffee is high octane (black) and high mileage (not wasted).

Morning coffee is whole bean Eight O'clock. I usually blend their 50/50 half-caf with the French Roast, so I'm getting a rich, dark blend at 3/4 caf. It tastes great. I do like DD. But I shamelessly reprint print the $2.00 off coupon from the 8 o'clock website. Now at $3.19 a bag at W-M minus two bucks it tastes even better.

Anywho by mid morning I'll make my own frappachino by pouring a half glass of cold coffee over ice, filling the glass with skim or 2% milk add 1 packet of Equal or Splenda, stir, drink and repeat...yum yum

Around 9pm its "Hot Choko" time. Whats ever left in the coffee pot goes into the hot chocolate.

Gotta go. Time to grind 'dem beans :)

Vietnamese coffee:

Two big shots of espresso or very very strong coffee (Dory's "cold fusion brew" comes to mind)

Warm the coffee and mix with a few big tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk. Pour over ice in a tall glass and top off with milk, stirring until the mixture has chilled.

I'll have to look up Dory's old post on his cold brewing technique, or maybe someone remembers the details. IIRC it involved soaking ground coffee in cold water for a period of time, straining it, and then using this concentrate mixed with water. Allegedly, and confirmed by other people who tried it, it produced a very good cup of coffee even with cheap beans.

That was easy to find, right in the middle of a thread about mattresses, which is exactly where I'd predict a series of posts about coffee...

http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php?topic=2839.msg45845#msg45845

"Basically, you put cheap coffee and water in a container for 12 hours, then pull the plug at the bottom and let the liquid drain through a 1/2" thick filter. They say 16 oz of coffee and fill with water -- we find that 13 oz (as it comes from Walmart) works fine.

You end up with a concentrate. You mix it with 3 or 4 parts boiling water when it is time to serve. The syrup keeps for a few weeks in the fridge (unless the fridge belongs to th).

We've been doing it ever since.

Basically, you end up with coffee much lower in acids due to the process, instead of having to buy premium coffees to get the same thing. (The taste doesn't get noticably better with premium coffee, either.)

Also, a good part of the caffeine is lost in the process. Not decaf, but probably like a 50-50 mix of decaf and regular. But read the linked page for details. Also at http://www.toddycafe.com/cbinfo/secret.php"

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Also, a good part of the caffeine is lost in the process. Not decaf, but probably like a 50-50 mix of decaf and regular.

you had me interested until I got to that part....

Back
Top Bottom