What is Going to Happen With Sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really looking forward to seeing all of the new recruits for Football

In Australia, professional sport has largely returned.

It started off without crowds but now the crowds are back in stadiums but with reduced numbers and social distancing.

We went to a Super Rugby game last week. Crowd was in the ground which gave it a bit of atmosphere although we were spaced out. Luckily there is not requirement or recommendation to wear masks in Australia so it all seems pretty normal.

My team won also - which made for a good night out!!

No college football if folks don't wear masks...

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/gov-kemp-says-people-need-to-hunker-down-and-wear-masks

LOL. It's going to be real interesting to see how they're going to justify a lot of players in close contact to play ball given the current rapid rise in COVID. Camps start by end of month for both college and pros, not a lot of time left. Yeah I know they're testing but this is probably the hardest sport to restart given the way it's played.

THWG.....

In Australia, professional sport has largely returned.

It started off without crowds but now the crowds are back in stadiums but with reduced numbers and social distancing.

We went to a Super Rugby game last week. Crowd was in the ground which gave it a bit of atmosphere although we were spaced out. Luckily there is not requirement or recommendation to wear masks in Australia so it all seems pretty normal.

My team won also - which made for a good night out!!

No masks in Austrailia? How are you controlling the virus spread?

No masks in Austrailia? How are you controlling the virus spread?

Nope, never been mask wearing in Australia.

Originally lots of lock downs and social distancing. No travel allowed within Australia.

In most of Australia now, the Covid 19 virus is basically eliminated and life is back to normal. The exception is Melbourne where the virus has come back and it has gone back into a hard lockdown this week.

Even so, the rates of infection in Melbourne are much, much lower than in US or Europe.

Heard mentioned on the radio that the Baltimore Ravens planned to limit stadium capacity for games to less than 14,000 in a stadium that has a listed capacity of 71,008. That is less than 20% fan capacity. I have not yet researched how they are going to manage who attends, with 60,000+ season ticket holders.

Heard mentioned on the radio that the Baltimore Ravens planned to limit stadium capacity for games to less than 14,000 in a stadium that has a listed capacity of 71,008. That is less than 20% fan capacity. I have not yet researched how they are going to manage who attends, with 60,000+ season ticket holders.

I have wondered that too. Maybe they will do some sort of lottery to determine which season ticket holders get to come to which games. Of course there will be a lot of ticket holders who decide they don't want to come.

The Ivey League just announced that there will be no sports until at least January.

The Ivy league schools do not give football scholarships, and they not as dependent (if at all) on sports income as other colleges and universities, so I was not surprised by this. My Ivy League alma mater has been sending out weekly emails to alumni as they were formulating their fall plans, so this is not a surprise. They had already planned to limit students on campus based on class year, and that would make it tough to have teams.

The Big 10 announced they would be cancelling non-conference games. Most Division I conferences have the non-conference games at the beginning of their schedule (partially to fatten their records early :)). Cancelling these games is a convenient way to delay starting games until October (and hoping things improve during that time so that they actually can).

I got my college education via an athletic scholarship. (minor sport) My thanks go out to all the Football and Basketball players that made this possible. I do not follow any sport, however, I have friends that are avid fans and pro-sports is a major form of entertainment for them. So for me personally, I don't care if they come back, however, for my friends, I hope they do. However if we lived by some peoples law we would all do only 'useful', in his eyes, things and all entertainment would be gone, as it produces nothing worthwhile.

https://clubhouse.swingu.com/tour/t...dc-guidelines-return-to-work-watney-mccarthy/

However, three players teeing it up this week in the Workday Charity Open — Dylan Frittelli, Denny McCarthy and Nick Watney — are still testing positive for coronavirus, but under the Center for Disease Control’s “Return to Work” guidelines and the PGA Tour’s “symptom-based model,” they can play.

Looks like these golfers are a symptomatic but still testing positive after a period of isolation, so they are playing anyway. They’re in their own group but still a little surprising.

Speaking of sports, am I the only one who is wondering why getting tested is such a long an arduous process for many citizens while 'sports stars' can get multiple tests quickly and easily?

A local talk show host has a child who plays football at a certain mid-west college. He's been there a month for practice and gets tested every week, with the result back in a day or two at the most. He compares his son's experience with another family member who is planning to go back to an open college and is still trying to find out what kind of testing, if any, will be offered at the college. But, that student is just studying academic subjects and not playing football. What a chump!

With rising cases in NC, our local NHL team is doing their part and wearing the M-device for their official team picture.

It will be memorable.

Attachments

• canesmask.jpg
    canesmask.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 80
With rising cases in NC, our local NHL team is doing their part and wearing the M-device for their official team picture.

It will be memorable.

The M device covers up all the broken teeth those hockey players have so there is that.

It will be memorable.
NHL Playoffs start Saturday August 1st in Toronto and Edmonton! Wooowooo! (hopefully)

NHL Playoffs start Saturday August 1st in Toronto and Edmonton! Wooowooo! (hopefully)
Keep in mind it is 2020. 2020 tried to wash away Edmonton. Please keep your guard up in Toronto.

EDIT: I should mention something to all those wondering who may not follow hockey. Basically, the NHL is forming a "bubble" of sorts for all the teams playing. 24 teams total split between two sites. They basically will have no interaction with outside people during this playoff. There is frequent testing. There will be no fans. There will be minimal media personnel and support personnel.

Last edited:
Keep in mind it is 2020. 2020 tried to wash away Edmonton. Please keep your guard up in Toronto.

EDIT: I should mention something to all those wondering who may not follow hockey. Basically, the NHL is forming a "bubble" of sorts for all the teams playing. 24 teams total split between two sites. They basically will have no interaction with outside people during this playoff. There is frequent testing. There will be no fans. There will be minimal media personnel and support personnel.
Things are pretty good here in the Great White North, but no time to get complacent of course. Will be nice to stop watching grainy reruns of games on TV. When one's team hasn't won a championship for longer than most people on Earth have been alive, one learns to manage expectations.

Several pro sports have restarted and are being broadcasted on TV. Golf is actually pretty good--seemed strange at first not to have a crowd but I have gotten use to it. MLB-- the jury is still out. I watched a game this afternoon, had piped in fan noise, cardboard cutouts "fans" behind home plate and computerized "fans" in the stands. I hated all the cardboard cutouts and the computerized "fans", I think it took away from the game and the announcers seemed to spend too much time talking about the lack of fans. On the other hand, I am watching the Nationals v Yankees on Fox sports now and it seems pretty good--there is canned fan noise but it is not bad and no cardboard cut outs or computerized fans.

WNBA games seem good too with no fans. I have not watched NBA or NFL yet but I plan to do so.

My major interest is college sports--I am still not convinced we will see any of those. Sigh.

Last edited:
I see a few ball players have tested positive and everyone involved in their teams will be tested with results available by the next day.
Sure wish the Walmart cashier didn't have to wait 8-12 days to get her results. But " We're all in this together."

Several pro sports have restarted and are being broadcasted on TV. Golf is actually pretty good--seemed strange at first not to have a crowd but I have gotten use to it. MLB-- the jury is still out. I watched a game this afternoon, had piped in fan noise, cardboard cutouts "fans" behind home plate and computerized "fans" in the stands. I hated all the cardboard cutouts and the computerized "fans", I think it took away from the game and the announcers seemed to spend too much time talking about the lack of fans. On the other hand, I am watching the Nationals v Yankees on Fox sports now and it seems pretty good--there is canned fan noise but it is not bad and no cardboard cut outs or computerized fans.

WNBA games seem good too with no fans. I have not watched NBA or NFL yet but I plan to do so.

My major interest is college sports--I am still not convinced we will see any of those. Sigh.

Yeah the cardboard fans seems silly. If they are going to do that at least have cartoon characters like Peanuts, Flintstone and others inserted in the seats. ;)

Yeah the cardboard fans seems silly. If they are going to do that at least have cartoon characters like Peanuts, Flintstone and others inserted in the seats. ;)
The fake people cut-outs in the L.A. game were pretty much cartoons. I think they were all semi-famous or something.

I see a few ball players have tested positive and everyone involved in their teams will be tested with results available by the next day.
Sure wish the Walmart cashier didn't have to wait 8-12 days to get her results. But " We're all in this together."

I said this before and I guess the leagues didn't listen to me...

The sports leagues could do wonders for their nearly destroyed images if they would only announce a 1-for-1 fast turn around test to the community.

i.e. for each fast turn around test they perform on their staff and players, they would donate one to their community for the front line workers.

But, nope.

Sports have decided to bring politics into the games. I’ve lost all interest in how they play with Covid or if they play at all this year or if any of the teams go bankrupt. Good riddance.

Sports have decided to bring politics into the games. I’ve lost all interest in how they play with Covid or if they play at all this year or if any of the teams go bankrupt. Good riddance.

I am the opposite. I am glad that players are starting to the more political stands. I say it's about time--good for them! Pro players have a lot of influence and I am glad to see them use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom