What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

Sanka....long time since I have heard that.

Brings back childhood memories at my best friends house in the morning. We would make Sanka with milk and sugar and dip toast with peanut butter, into the Sanka.

DW ran out of our favorite coffee at the mountain cabin so started trying local brands. When she bought a bag of Starbucks I quickly found out why people order SB's with so much stuff in it. That coffee was just nasty. Burnt and oily tasting. I took a sip and spit it out. Wow! Made it back home for a quick family event and I'm sure she'll buy a load of Community Dark Roast Hazelnut for the cabin.

DW ran out of our favorite coffee at the mountain cabin so started trying local brands. When she bought a bag of Starbucks I quickly found out why people order SB's with so much stuff in it. That coffee was just nasty. Burnt and oily tasting. I took a sip and spit it out. Wow! Made it back home for a quick family event and I'm sure she'll buy a load of Community Dark Roast Hazelnut for the cabin.

I'm with you on Starbucks. Just don't like it.

Xfinity/Comcast aka comcrap.

After 5 years, decided to transfer the web service of above named outfit to my name from late wife's. To do so must visit their brick outpost. And present a death certificate. And present Drivers' license.
Upon entering saw maybe 8 or 10 people sitting, waiting to be called. I parked my butt on the one available seat, and waited..........waited.....some more. An hour and change later one of the two people working called my name. Took nearly ten minutes to for him to find multi page PAPER form to fill out, with most of it writing in the the same set of info at least 5 times in different rubriks. Finally it was done.

Then I asked about transfer my cell service to theirs. It is a fairly reasonable deal if one already has internet service with them. BTW for internet, they are the only viable option where I live. Currently the phone is on one of Verizon's MVNO's. Comcast is also an MVNO on Verizon system. Thus my old still functional Iphone only needs a SIM change. He quoted the price, but said can not be done, must wait 4 to 5 days for the service name to be changed and then must come back.

Then I asked when is good time to come, for less than hours of wait timme. He said it is like this all the time.

One would think, but then one would be wrong, the millions of $ comcrap is raking in they could hire more than 2 people for customer service issues t work the floor... And while waiting they have this massive 6or7 foot TV thing destroying the waiting customers' remaining brain cells with whatever inane show it is displaying. In Living color high definition. Not having watched any TV in over 5 years it was truly a stomach churning puky experience.

Well I suppose then they would not be abusing or inconveniencing the captive customers. Kind of a control freak, power play ploy.

But, life goes on in spite of major and minor annoyances.

Last edited:
Xfinity/Comcast aka comcrap.

That parallels my experience when we were canceling FIL's Comcast service after selling the house and he was in a nursing home. I went to an office local to us (FIL's house was an hour away in a different town and state) and they tried to tell me that I had to turn it (the secret decoder boxes) in there. Nope, not happening - do you want your boxes or not?

Then they tried to tell me that if the paperwork wasn't received by the office in the town where the account was that they might bill him. I said that bill would never be paid. They said it would hurt his credit rating. I said I didn't think he cared - his life expectancy was measured in months if not weeks. And I knew for sure the administrator of the estate wouldn't care since I'm married to her.

Nothing like dealing with a company that tries to make things easier for the paying customer.:mad:

Back on Starbucks.....(I have Comcast and feel the pain)....I tried their black coffee as that's the only way I drink coffee. It was so bad I couldn't drink it. Where do they get this crap?

Back on Starbucks.....(I have Comcast and feel the pain)....I tried their black coffee as that's the only way I drink coffee. It was so bad I couldn't drink it. Where do they get this crap?

Likely collecting used coffee grounds from all the neighboring restaurants, diners and fast food joints. Price is right, profits are great!!!!

I made the mistake of buying one of their bitter burned brews a few years ago, never again.

Yes, Starbucks coffee. It's why they make a lot of dough on "coffee drinks"

A buddy of mine refers to it as "Charbucks"

Yeah, burnt to a crisp.

Back when I drank coffee, I kinda liked Starbucks BUT I had to use about 15% half and half to make it taste good. Normally, I did not add cream to coffee. I consider SB to be a VERY flavorful coffee - too flavorful without cream to moderate the bitter/burnt flavor. Now, is it worth the money? NO!

Yes, coffee doesn't have to be burnt. The beans should be brown, not black.

I buy medium roast beans and fresh grind and the coffee is marvie. Lot's of raves at home.

RE-- Comcast. Our local store has the ability to schedule appointments on the website. It makes the wait quite a bit less.

RE--Starbucks. I too have always added cream and sugar. I think their coffee is sometimes bitter. I like the Blonde Roast much better, it is more mellow to me. Ask for that next time you go, it does have higher caffeine content though.

Ah, Comcast. They have a distance cousin that goes by the name of "COX" that does the same shenanigans as Comcast. I was DELIGHTED when the electric co-op brought fiber internet to town and I took great joy on firing Cox and telling 'em exactly what I thought of them.

Starbucks? The only time I have had it in the last 5 years is at the airport. I am always amazed at how LONG the lines are for that product, especially when you can order quite conveniently via an app and skip the line.

Today's pet peeve? Four way stops; specifically how the general populace lacks ANY understanding on how they *should* work.

Last edited:
Ah, Comcast. They have a distance cousin that goes by the name of "COX" that does the same shenanigans as Comcast. I was DELIGHTED when the electric co-op brought fiber internet to town and I took great joy on firing Cox and telling 'em exactly what I thought of them.

Starbucks? The only time I have had it in the last 5 years is at the airport. I am always amazed at how LONG the lines are for that product, especially when you can order quite conveniently via an app and skip the line.

Today's pet peeve? Four way stops; specifically how the general populace lacks ANY understanding on how they *should* work.

Oh, yeah. I remember Cox - and Xfinity - and Comcast. Sooner or later, the cable company will own the world. YMMV

Cell phone plans, ughhh. At our remote cabin I have internet by DSL but no cell service. So I upgraded my phone to a phone that could do wifi calling. I ordered an ATT 30 day prepaid plan with a new number so I could verify that wifi calling works. It did. So I ordered an ATT $300 yearly plan and transferred my number. It's the same plan as the 30 day one just prepaid for a year in advance so it's $5/month cheaper and has double data for the year. Wifi calling doesn't work with that sim. Spent 3 days so far on chat and phone calls trying to get ATT to fix it. No luck so far. If they can't get it to work it's of no use to me since we spend half the year at the cabin. Am I out $300 ?
ATT said they might be able to fix it and give them 24-48 hours.
If they can't I may just have to switch to the new phone number and pay monthly.
ARRRGGHHHH!

RE-- Comcast. Our local store has the ability to schedule appointments on the website. It makes the wait quite a bit less.

RE--Starbucks. I too have always added cream and sugar. I think their coffee is sometimes bitter. I like the Blonde Roast much better, it is more mellow to me. Ask for that next time you go, it does have higher caffeine content though.

Agreed on blonde - much more pleasant. But I never realized it had more caffeine...wrongly assumed lighter taste also mean less lead in the brew. Thanks for mentioning!

pet peeve of no common courtesy

My pet peeve is folks with no common follow through courtesy. A friend of mine volunteered to buy flowers for the funeral of a mutual friend.

She messaged me and said do you want to go in with her in flowers? I said, sure just let me know how much she needs. The funeral is today. I messaged her yesterday asking how much do I owe? She responds that she never got the flowers. She got the current covid vaccine and as recovering from that. What:confused: Would have been nice if she let me know..

As a result, no flowers. I tried just buying on my own but was too late. Grrrr!

Cell phone plans, ughhh. At our remote cabin I have internet by DSL but no cell service. So I upgraded my phone to a phone that could do wifi calling. I ordered an ATT 30 day prepaid plan with a new number so I could verify that wifi calling works. It did. So I ordered an ATT $300 yearly plan and transferred my number. It's the same plan as the 30 day one just prepaid for a year in advance so it's $5/month cheaper and has double data for the year. Wifi calling doesn't work with that sim. Spent 3 days so far on chat and phone calls trying to get ATT to fix it. No luck so far. If they can't get it to work it's of no use to me since we spend half the year at the cabin. Am I out $300 ?
ATT said they might be able to fix it and give them 24-48 hours.
If they can't I may just have to switch to the new phone number and pay monthly.
ARRRGGHHHH!

Do you have a phone that is e-sim capable? I have used the $300 ATT plan for several years and have no issues using WiFi calling on the Pixel 6 I recently bought. It's the same sim card I have been using for the last few phones but they are starting to migrate folks over the the esim. If all else fails, go to to a CORPORATE ATT store...they should get you fixed right up.

Vanguard, Chase (credit card) my local bank, & other financial institutions requiring (in addition to your username & password) a text message, or a phone call with a login code to gain online access to your account.

I'm all for security, but I never had a problem before all this became necessary.
To their credit, Fidelity requires nothing like this.......yet.

Vanguard, Chase (credit card) my local bank, & other financial institutions requiring (in addition to your username & password) a text message, or a phone call with a login code to gain online access to your account.

I'm all for security, but I never had a problem before all this became necessary.

I feel much better that V (and others) have added this level of security. It's virtually no added "w*rk" for me but a lot more reassuring. YMMV

Is this true about Fido? No TFA? That is scary - I have my HSA with them. I need to check on this weakness.

Is this true about Fido? No TFA? That is scary - I have my HSA with them. I need to check on this weakness.

Not quite true. They do not require it, but it is an option, which I have enabled.

Back
Top Bottom