What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

Closed my NASA FCU account today. I had setup a transfer of IRA share savings to Fidelity because I only had $50 balance and I am consolidating accounts. . I see an unidentified IRA credit for $15 at Fido. I go to the NASA branch today and confirm. They charged $35 to close the IRA account! I could’ve left $1 in there and $5 in my regular account and saved $29

Andrews FCU is up next and I know from experience they charge $20 to xfer to Fidelity. .

You could try asking Fidelity to reimburse the closing fee. I don't know if they'll do it for small amount transfers. They like to see some kind of documentation of the fee, such as a copy of a statement.

People who advertise their investment/money services offering to send me a free booklet with a title like this:

Five things they don’t want you to know about the Buggy Whip business

My Costco fun this morning :) :
So, not a peeve, more an interesting adventure :).

This is why I do most of my shopping online. Including gift cards. No way would I want to deal with all of that!

Fortunately our Costco lot is not a problem and easy to get out of. But I’ve seen packed Costco parking lots in other areas that just blow your mind!

You could try asking Fidelity to reimburse the closing fee. I don't know if they'll do it for small amount transfers. They like to see some kind of documentation of the fee, such as a copy of a statement.

I thought of that too but the amount was just too small. I should have taken a distribution and could have requested a waiver on the spot. Live and learn but glad to be done with them. I wonder if such a small amount would even generate a 1099R.

Edit: 1099R required for distributions of $10 or more.

Last edited:
My Local Home Brew Store closed for good today. I can’t blame the guy, he said he just can’t compete with the internet. But no more dashing out for last minute or spur of the moment shopping for ingredients, and no more easy access to his excellent advice. Part of a larger trend that goes well beyond home beer brewing, surely, but this hits close to home.

My peeve for the day - more and more restaurants no longer include ANY pricing info in their website menus. It's so frustrating. I'm not cheap, but I don't want to be surprised by an overpriced place either.

So now, I have to constantly search at Uber Eats and other online delivery places to find menus with prices if I want to check out a new restaurant. but I never know if those are the "in-restaurant" prices or delivery prices.

+1 I have always checked the menu prices on line for the same reason and to know how much money I need to carry because I don't use a CC in a restaurant. Like you I am finding the same problem. So if no menu prices on line then they lose my business.

Employees who can't answer a simple question. They ramble on and on, while you politely wait, thinking to yourself "why can't this person just get to the point?". Finally, you interrupt them, and ask your question again, and they say 'I just told you'. Lol, they are answering a question I did not ask. I guess they can't understand the question, or they just don't want to answer it.

My Local Home Brew Store closed for good today. I can’t blame the guy, he said he just can’t compete with the internet. But no more dashing out for last minute or spur of the moment shopping for ingredients, and no more easy access to his excellent advice. Part of a larger trend that goes well beyond home beer brewing, surely, but this hits close to home.

I can relate to losing 'excellent advice'. I no longer have a network of geeks to ask about my computer problems. I spend hours on Youtube, forums, etc, and finally fix the problem. But it was much easier to ask a geek friend (geek said with respect) and get a complete and correct answer in one minute, lol.

Employees who can't answer a simple question. They ramble on and on, while you politely wait, thinking to yourself "why can't this person just get to the point?". Finally, you interrupt them, and ask your question again, and they say 'I just told you'. Lol, they are answering a question I did not ask. I guess they can't understand the question, or they just don't want to answer it.

Been there and feel your pain. But I'll see your pet peeve and raise it. :D

What I find worse are reps that don't allow me to speak without interrupting. They cut me off or talk over me while I'm still speaking to answer what they THINK I'm about to ask - and are usually wrong.

When I speak to reps, I get to the point and don't ramble, as I try not to waste anyone's time. Yet I still have to raise my voice too many times and firmly say: "please let me get a few words out before you interrupt me".

I find it aggravating and quite rude. :mad:

Last edited:
My pet peeve is the giving of gift cards.

I know. I have a good friend with a lot of credit card debt and the adults in his family still exchange "gifts"- but they're all gift cards. He and his Ex have some sort of rivalry in which she gets upset if he gives her a gift card worth more than the one she gave him, which I guess puts him in a superior position. He was happy last year that he "won". Weird.

My family quit that ages ago and I'm glad. I have to admit that I did give HIM a gift card to his favorite electronics store but I know it will be valued and used.

Sounds like some of the folks I used to [-]share captivity in an office[/-] w*rk with.

Been there and feel your pain. But I'll see your pet peeve and raise it. :D

What I find worse are reps that don't allow me to speak without interrupting. They cut me off or talk over me while I'm still speaking to answer what they THINK I'm about to ask - and are usually wrong.

When I speak to reps, I get to the point and don't ramble, as I try not to waste anyone's time. Yet I still have to raise my voice too many times and firmly say: "please let me get a few words out before you interrupt me".

I find it aggravating and quite rude. :mad:
If someone does that to me who isn't a friend or valued coworker, I either sit back and stare, waiting for a significant gap before speaking, or just walk away after being talked over.

I know. I have a good friend with a lot of credit card debt and the adults in his family still exchange "gifts"- but they're all gift cards. He and his Ex have some sort of rivalry in which she gets upset if he gives her a gift card worth more than the one she gave him, which I guess puts him in a superior position. He was happy last year that he "won". Weird.

My family quit that ages ago and I'm glad. I have to admit that I did give HIM a gift card to his favorite electronics store but I know it will be valued and used.

I gave my daughter and her husband gift cards to their favorite restaurant (Saltgrass Steakhouse) and the rest was in a personal check!:D

:) This was one of my biggest challenges when I managed people and projects. I had the nickname "Mr. Net-It-Out", as I used that phrase one too many times trying to get status and situation updates. I believe some personality types are "hard-wired" to "tell a story" instead of "provide the answer" :).

Last edited:
Led lights. Those little lights that are on everything. The new garage door opener has 5 lights on it. Why are they so bright? My house sometimes looks like a Christmas tree with all the lights, some of them blinking, red lights, green lights, blue lights. Everything has a led indicator light. Even on tv shows the gps tracking devices they stick on your car has a blinking light. The bomb they hide somewhere has a blinking light. Seriously if you want to hide something why have a blinking light on it?

Last edited:
Even on tv shows the gps tracking devices they stick on your car has a blinking light. The bomb they hide somewhere has a blinking light. Seriously if you want to hide something why have a blinking light on it?
How else is the hero going to find the bomb and disarm it just in the nick of time?

And you always cut the blue wire.

I hope I'm not repeating something I posted before but hey, it's worth repeating- "self-service" portals that don't work. This includes self checkouts where the bar codes doesn't work, you have to look up produce items and figure out if you have" Large asparagus" or "Small asparagus", etc.

So... I have an echocardiogram scheduled in 2 days. A week ago I got an e-mail telling me I needed to register. I logged on, nothing indicating where or how to register. although the appointment did show up. Today I get another e-mail. Oh, yeah- NOW they have a "register" button- except I click on it and get a screen with nothing there. Finally I resorted to using my phone, had to log in there and ignore an offer to download the app. I could register from the phone- they just needed a review and update of my information.

I went through a similar process at an UrgentCare- the "receptionist" had me scan a QR code so I could key everything in myself and she had to show me a few workarounds to get it done.

If you're gonna make me do something you used to pay people to do, at least make it intuitive and user-friendly.:mad:

If you're gonna make me do something you used to pay people to do, at least make it intuitive and user-friendly.:mad:

I can understand. I had a 9:15 Dr. appointment for this morning. Yesterday at 3:30 they call on my cell phone to reschedule for later in the day because of the snow. I have repeatedly told them not to use the cell phone because when I'm home it's on a shelf and I rarely hear it, so I missed the call. The office closes at 4:00 PM and no one could be bothered to pick up the phone. So I made the change this morning, but sheesh. If they want someone to return a call, ANSWER THE PHONE!

I totally agree with you athena53. I had a colonoscopy recently and got a text to call & schedule a virtual visit to register. Ok, called and they set me up for a nurse to call for my information. Waiting, waiting, waiting, finally DW called and they said "Oh no, he has to come in person". So after arguing for a minute she finally said yes they do call-ins and scheduled me for another call in a few days. Waiting, waiting, waiting, again DW called and got the same argument. They did relent and had a nurse call me later the next day for the same info that is on my my-chart account with them.

Pet peeve today about pet stuff
why do doggie poop bags come with stickers on the roll? You waste 2 bags trying to rip that thing off to get the roll started to put in the holder. (I think I just answered my question--to go through the bags faster and have to buy more!:facepalm::mad:)

Some mild criticism of FIRE. He seems to hate free time, thinks folks are cheap, and hate work. Sigh. Binary thinking is my pet peeve of the day.

https://wggtb.substack.com/p/the-fire-movement

I hate work, and also am pretty cheap, but love the free time!

I also enjoy telling newly-met folks I'm unemployed (instead of retired) just to see how they will then treat me...

I hope I'm not repeating something I posted before but hey, it's worth repeating- "self-service" portals that don't work. This includes self checkouts where the bar codes doesn't work, you have to look up produce items and figure out if you have" Large asparagus" or "Small asparagus", etc.

So... I have an echocardiogram scheduled in 2 days. A week ago I got an e-mail telling me I needed to register. I logged on, nothing indicating where or how to register. although the appointment did show up. Today I get another e-mail. Oh, yeah- NOW they have a "register" button- except I click on it and get a screen with nothing there. Finally I resorted to using my phone, had to log in there and ignore an offer to download the app. I could register from the phone- they just needed a review and update of my information.

I went through a similar process at an UrgentCare- the "receptionist" had me scan a QR code so I could key everything in myself and she had to show me a few workarounds to get it done.

+1. It is frustrating to try and do the right thing and just end up wasting your time.

FWIW, you might try a different browser, especially if you are not using Chrome. Almost everybody makes sure their sites work well with Chrome.

Back
Top Bottom