What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

We just finished "Episodes" on Netflix with Matt Leblanc. Originally it was on Showtime, but we aren't subscribed there. Anyway, hilarious dark comedy.

Watched the first episode of "X Company" on Hulu last night. Looks like it'll be pretty good.

Looking forward to a PBS serialization of Jane Austen's last, unfinished novel "Sanditon," beginning Sunday, Jan 12. As far as I know, it's never been adapted before. It wasn't very far along when she died, but I think she had introduced all the main characters, so it should be interesting. It's just at the cusp of when "entrepreneurialism" had moved beyond the fringes of empire and was starting to introduce tensions into the ranks of the landed gentry. One of the main characters is a promoter intending to make Sanditon into a resort. I have hopes!

Brokenwood Mysteries - Season 6 is beginning

I discovered tonight that the first of four new episodes (Season 6) of Brokenwood Mysteries is available on Acorn TV.

The remaining 3 new episodes will be available on each of the next three Mondays: 1/13, 1/20, and 1/27.

I really enjoy this quirky show; I just wish they made more episodes.

Finished watching the 1st season of "Virgin River" (1st and only so far). What a surprise. I don't know what made me watch it but I am glad I did. (It has a "Northern Exposure" vibe.) It is one of those story lines that you know is well-written since every word of dialog could be uttered in church on Sunday morning.

It is set in Northern California but was filmed in an amalgam of several locations in and around Vancouver in British Columbia. It is worth watching, if only for the scenery.

Netflix's Virgin River is an adaptation based on Robyn Carr's bestselling 20-book series of the same name. The story follows nurse practitioner Melinda Munroe who after widowing decides to make a fresh start. She moves to the remote Californian town of Virgin River, located in redwood forests, where the series is set. Melinda meets there an intriguing man, Jack Sheridan, former Marine and owner of Jack’s Bar.

https://www.netflix.com/search?q=virgin&jbv=80240027&jbp=0&jbr=0

Dracula on Netflix. Should be familiar with Bram Stoker original book. Mix of humor, gore, interesting twist on the story line. Only 3 episodes, 1.5 hours/each. Hope there's a 2nd season.

Finished season 1 of Messiah. Decided it’s not very good. The writing and plot line are just kinda hokey. Terrible stereotypes of people are used everywhere. Won’t be watching further.

Finished season 1 of Messiah. Decided it’s not very good. The writing and plot line are just kinda hokey. Terrible stereotypes of people are used everywhere. Won’t be watching further.
I respect that opinion, but Americans are easily swayed. The line "Americans are like schoolgirls" was interesting. IMHO the stereotypes have some truth to them. Have you seen the documentary "Wild Wild Country" or followed the history of Scientology? We get into some weird stuff in this country.

I respect that opinion, but Americans are easily swayed. The line "Americans are like schoolgirls" was interesting. IMHO the stereotypes have some truth to them. Have you seen the documentary "Wild Wild Country" or followed the history of Scientology? We get into some weird stuff in this country.

comment directed at the show's producers/writers, not Rianne:

if that's the opinion of the writers and producers then i'll take a pass. our weird stuff is no more weird than the taliban, isis, 2-bit dictators, etc. people around the world can and do strange thinfs. and if it wasn't for those "schoolgirls" who splashed ashore at omaha and utah beaches, suffered during the early days of the korean war, slogged thru the rice paddies in vietnam or sweltered in the heat and shivered in the cold in iraq and afghanistan...all to free people from tyranny. without the american "schoolgirls" this world would be a very dark place.

comment directed at the show's producers/writers, not Rianne:

if that's the opinion of the writers and producers then i'll take a pass. our weird stuff is no more weird than the taliban, isis, 2-bit dictators, etc. people around the world can and do strange thinfs. and if it wasn't for those "schoolgirls" who splashed ashore at omaha and utah beaches, suffered during the early days of the korean war, slogged thru the rice paddies in vietnam or sweltered in the heat and shivered in the cold in iraq and afghanistan...all to free people from tyranny. without the american "schoolgirls" this world would be a very dark place.
Oh gosh, so true. What I thought interesting is they think of us as gullible or easily swayed. "all to free people from tyranny" Tyranny rules by fear. I don't feel afraid of our laws or govt. or politics etc. Our freedoms allow us to do weird stuff. I guess I didn't mean it as an insult. It's more like no one can stop me from believing what I want, so I can obsess over the Kardashians or worship an earthworm. No one will come to my house and kill me for that. They are taking advantage of that freedom and using it against us.

I recorded it a year ago and finally got around to watching the movie “Wild Rose.” I highly recommend it. Furthermore, the soundtrack should be made into a playlist. It’s about a woman who dreams of being a country music star — except she’s a struggling single mom in Glasgow, Scotland, newly out of jail and short on opportunities. Think “Billy Elliot” and Wynonna Judd, together at last.

https://www.hulu.com/movie/wild-rose-3554101e-7fbe-4f8e-b046-9874f9eaf8e6

Had a HBO free preview this weekend and noticed a few new series listed so recorded them. A couple will end up in the category "what new series I won't be watching". Couldn't even make it all the way through the first episode of The New Pope and Avenue 5. Recorded the first 3 episodes of The Outsider (based on a Steven King novel) but unsure about this one, a lot of twist and turns typical of King but will have to watch the entire season to find out 'who-did-it'.

Had a HBO free preview this weekend and noticed a few new series listed so recorded them. A couple will end up in the category "what new series I won't be watching". Couldn't even make it all the way through the first episode of The New Pope and Avenue 5. Recorded the first 3 episodes of The Outsider (based on a Steven King novel) but unsure about this one, a lot of twist and turns typical of King but will have to watch the entire season to find out 'who-did-it'.

I love The Outsider so far (3 episodes).

Watched a few episodes of The Witcher last night and enjoyed it. It was very meta watching a tv show adaptation of a video game adaptation of a fantasy novel series. I enjoyed the setups, it feels like a series of side quests as episodes, complete with negotiations over getting paid, and the back and forth with different NPCs trying to get the player to do their preferred solution to the problem.

New Pope is kind of a sequel.

You have to watch The Young Pope, which was from 2-3 years ago. You can probably watch that on demand.

We're traveling today and staying in a hotel. So we have to watch regular cable TV (limited channels), and don't have access to our streaming shows (internet too slow to stream to the PC). We're both highly spoiled by on demand/streaming TV watching. So far we've been surfing the channels for about an hour, and the best thing we've found is some Disney cartoon with a pug doing a hula dance. This sucks.

Watched Olive Kitteridge on Crave (HBO add-on). It's regarded highly and it's well done and acting is superb, but I found it to be quite depressing.

Last edited:
Aaron Hernandez Documentary on Netflix. Made it through the first episode. Stranger than fiction.

The Great British Baking Show reruns on Netflix.

I have watched the first episode of Vienna Blood on PBS. An excellent mystery series set in early 1800's Vienna.

Prodigal Son on Hulu.

It's very well done. I rarely enjoy "creepy" story lines, but in this case Michael Sheen plays the creep, and it is always a pleasure to watch him perform.

DH is watching The Outsider on HBO, a Stephen King series starring Ben Mendelsohn. I lasted through the third episode. Well written and amazing cast but too creepy for me plus I just know a giant spider is going to be the evil cause (Not a spoiler--I always think a giant spider is the evil cause in Stephen King works.).

Back
Top Bottom