What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

I am still liking Vienna Blood on PBS. A somewhat burnt out detective partners with a smarty-pants young psychiatrist who is a disciple of the new guy on the block - Sigmond Freud. It takes place in pre WW2 Vienna.
And pre-WW1. Like 1907.

Re-watching Band of Brothers on Amazon Prime, in preparation for a trip to Normandy in May. Very well done.

You tube member?

I've been watching Victoria on PBS lately and it's interesting, even though I generally don't like 'period' pieces. There are tons of good lists of best or most popular TV shows online, just search and see what interests you.

Many of the most popular TV series these days are not on cable/satellite or OTA, and that seems unlikely to change. They're on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO, Showtime, etc.

And though evidently outside the OP's 'cable or OTA' or 'series' prerequisites, I find myself subscribed to about 20 YouTube channels and watch YouTube as often as broadcast or on demand television. Some people don't realize how much quality content content is there, easily tailored to individual tastes. When 'there's nothing good on TV, I'm on YouTube or the TV is off.'

Changing landscape, for the better IME. FWIW

Edit: Note that many of the suggestions you are getting are not available on cable or OTA.

I agree about YouTube but the ads drive me nuts? Do you pay to get it commercial free?

Saving Zoe on Netflix was pretty good. I remember the girl from Without a Trace from years and years ago. It's a murder mystery.

Last edited:
Just watched the first episode of Dispatches from Elsewhere on AMC. The second episode is on tomorrow, then weekly. It's a sort of fantasy/mystery, and has a bit of a steampunk vibe. I like it, DW is willing to give it a chance.

Also just started Westworld from season one, b]about 4 episodes in. I didn't used to have HBO so I never saw it before. We both like that one so far.

Tried to watch Tommy, but couldn't get past the opening scene and turned off after 2 minutes. :rolleyes:

Okay, I went back and watched the first two minutes. The Mayor is working on a Press Release announcing the appointment of a female police chief and two men (later identified as DEA officers) were beginning to follow a young girl. What is it (specifically) that upset you?

After four episodes. I find this show a keeper.

Just watched the first episode of Dispatches from Elsewhere on AMC. The second episode is on tomorrow, then weekly. It's a sort of fantasy/mystery, and has a bit of a steampunk vibe. I like it, DW is willing to give it a chance.

This one sounds intriguing, so I set the TiVo to catch it. I see Jason Segel and Sally Field are in the cast.

Okay, I went back and watched the first two minutes. The Mayor is working on a Press Release announcing the appointment of a female police chief and two men (later identified as DEA officers) were beginning to follow a young girl. What is it (specifically) that upset you?

After four episodes. I find this show a keeper.

The obvious thwarting of ICE by the local police. Maybe it wasn't two minutes? It had a very obvious political bent. To each his own. Enjoy!

Also just started Westworld from season one, b]about 4 episodes in. I didn't used to have HBO so I never saw it before. We both like that one so far.

DFE..I got confused just watching the many promo AMC has run this week. Not even going to try.

I agree about YouTube but the ads drive me nuts? Do you pay to get it commercial free?

Just get an ad blocker extension for the internet browser you are using.

I use "Adblock for YouTube"

Binged the first 4 or 5 episodes (Season 1) last night. Hilarious!

Re Catastrophe--I bailed after season 3. It just got way too dark and I wanted to kill either of the leads, or myself.

Our Roku box lets us borrow and watch Hoopla movies and TV series from our library and I just watched a 1997 BBC murder detective short series called Ice House. Daniel Craig plays one of the detectives--we enjoyed him recently in Knives Out at the movies, so fun to see the 29-year-old version of him.

DH is really looking forward to watching Dispatches from Elsewhere. I am not very polite about fantasy-leaning shows so will remove myself from the room while it's on (as I have had to do with The Outsider on HBO).

on which service is the Imposters?

Netflix. I use https://justwatch.com to find out what's playing where.

I finished Season 2. While not as flat-out excellent and surprising as Season 1, it was very good, very satisfying. I liked all four of the main characters, which is very rare for me.

If you like shows about cons, plot twists, people double and triple crossing others, suspense, intrigue, this is it! Told a friend about it and he watched the first four episodes last night, texting me with comments and praise. I had to turn off the notifications on my phone a little after midnight.

Just watched the first episode of Dispatches from Elsewhere on AMC.

We watched this last night... very strange. I got a "Twilight Zone" feel. I just record episode two and will probably watch it tonight and then decide.

(On the other hand, I generally give "on the bubble" shows three episodes.)

Star Trek Picard - CBS All Access
The Outsider - HBO
The Walking Dead Season 10 - AMC

Waiting for Westworld Season 3 on March 15

I started that series, but had such a difficult time understanding the dialect. Also, in the few that I watched, they seemed to like to pull the culprit out of thin air near the end of the show, which is unfair in a tv mystery. Did that improve over the series?

Yes it did. In fact there was a theme running through the 3 series that connected many of the episodes together.

Re Catastrophe--I bailed after season 3. It just got way too dark and I wanted to kill either of the leads, or myself.

I really liked Catastrophe, but yeah about season 4 it started to live up to its name and the reality of life crept in too much (or, the reality of two hysterically flawed people). Stuck it out tho, last season was short.

Originally Posted by harley View Post

I love Sally Field and Jason Segel. It's not normally my kind of show but I found it entertaining and will keep up with it until I don't. Certainly unusual, but AMC does some pretty crazy programming.

Vienna Blood PBS. 1906 Vienna crime drama with early psychiatry thrown in. We’ve really enjoyed it especially having been in Vienna and remembering some of the sights.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom