What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

Just started The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and if this isn't the funniest show on TV I don't know what is.

Last edited:
Rianne,

Do you mean the material in the entertainment was accurate and proven, or that it was just a theory?

A conspiracy can be proven to have occurred, but in the case of the CIA, much of what they do and have done, can be told in such a way as to sound pretty terrible - and, they have likely done some terrible things. But, proving these sorts of things takes a lot of access and material - usually there is something like what could have happened, but likely was different.

Comes down to, in most cases, trust.

I'm on the fence on the totality of truth in any product designed to produce money.
I guess you’d have to see it. The witnesses, eye witnesses, who were part of the cartels, engaged in the activities (unwillingly at first). Each were interviewed separately and were not in contact with each other for many years. Their accounts of what happened matched up. I have one more episode, could barely turn it off to go to bed. The director is highly respected and has completed several.other documentaries that put his own life in danger. I’d be interested in your opinion if you watch it.

Are we? Haha. It took me a while to accept the premise in Man in the High Castle that we lost the war.
Given the premise based of the theory of multiverses, take heart that we may not be the "ones" who lost the war.

Just finished the 6 episodes of River on BritBox. Dark, police drama. Wish there were more!

Just started The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and if this isn't the funniest show on TV I don't know what is.

I tried to watch the first episodes and found them to be trashy enough to be turned off to watching any further. Not a family show, at least those first episodes, and nothing funny about how she was treated by her husband or her parents. A lot too graphic. Language beyond foul, it's obscene. Lines like, "come back next week and find out how my grandmother steals my pearls and ficks my boyfriend." How is that funny? Am I really that much of a prude in my oder age?
So when did it actually get funny? What episodes? I'd be willing to give it another go if someone can confirm that the content is at least PG-13 and not a hard R rating as what I saw.

Last edited:
I tried to watch the first episodes and found them to be trashy enough to be turned off to watching any further. Not a family show, at least those first episodes, and nothing funny about how she was treated by her husband or her parents. A lot too graphic. Language beyond foul, it's obscene. Lines like, "come back next week and find out how my grandmother steals my pearls and ficks my boyfriend." How is that funny? Am I really that much of a prude in my oder age?
So when did it actually get funny? What episodes? I'd be willing to give it another go if someone can confirm that the content is at least PG-13 and not a hard R rating as what I saw.

I enjoyed the first few episodes and got through the 1st season. But stopped during the 2nd season. Not because of bad language but I just lost interest in it.

Just started watching Absentia on Amazon Prime. Just a couple of episodes in but looks promising.

Just finished Breaking Bad last night. Incredible story, the best character development in TV history, top notch writing, great acting, beautiful cinematography, great on-location scenes, gritty realism, etc.

In the end, I think the compelling part is the audience can take a character and wonder what it would be like to be them, willingly or unwillingly.

Although it went off into TV fantasy a few times, it mostly stuck to real world issues which TV usually ignores. For instance, a simple fist-fight can end a career or life, and usually results in some litigation. That's addressed here, a rarity in TV (and something I should add to the Pet Peeves thread).

So, yeah, it is an old series, but new to me. Time to start Better Call Saul.

Just finished Breaking Bad last night. Incredible story, the best character development in TV history, top notch writing, great acting, beautiful cinematography, great on-location scenes, gritty realism, etc.

In the end, I think the compelling part is the audience can take a character and wonder what it would be like to be them, willingly or unwillingly.
El Camino, movie on Netflix, continues with the life of Jesse Pinkman. It follows Breaking Bad, so you should have a good memory of the events from the series to keep up. Entertaining and a few surprises.

It does get better, especially when her mom escapes to Paris. But, I agree with you on the profanity. IMHO, it drags an otherwise good show into the gutter.

I find the show humorous, but the language really puts me off. What is it about the entertainment industry that we can not have more than one minute of dialog without use of profanity and other vulgar words? FWIW, profanity loses its worth when its used in very other sentence. After a while it gets rather boring. Do these people really live their lives like that?

In any event the show is losing its punch. I think the writers are done. They should wrap it up in the next season, if there is a next season.

In any event the show is losing its punch. I think the writers are done. They should wrap it up in the next season, if there is a next season.
That is so common in TV shows, I wish Netflix had a "no longer watching" category to remove programs from the "continue watching"...

Just finished the 6 episodes of River on BritBox. Dark, police drama. Wish there were more!

+1 DW and I watched that together. She is a Nicola Walker fan having watched Last Tango and other things with her in them and I think Stellan Skarsgard is amazing in just about anything.

I was thinking of watching the Marvelous Mrs Maisel--I am glad posters above alerted me to the foul language so I will not watch it. I try not to watch shows with a lot of gratuitous foul language. I guess I am a prude but I have never heard it in my household and it shocks me.
There are plenty of good shows without a lot of foul language (like on Masterpiece Theater on PBS).

harllee,

It's just the way most people talk.

MMM is an astonishingly excellent piece of work.

That is so common in TV shows, I wish Netflix had a "no longer watching" category to remove programs from the "continue watching"...
That feature was added recently.

harllee,

I don't think most people use foul language on a regular basis--at least not the people I know. I never hear any curse words by my friends or family, not even a "dam_"

+1 DW and I watched that together. She is a Nicola Walker fan having watched Last Tango and other things with her in them and I think Stellan Skarsgard is amazing in just about anything.

yes, Nicola Walker is very good. she was in unforgotten, a british crime drama, trying to solve cold case murders, hence the title. 3 seasons.

Watched "Plot against America" on HBO max. Similar to High Castle in that it's an alternate timeline - where Charles Lindbergh beats Roosevelt for president and the country unleashes its racism. Very well done.

Now watching season 2 of Umbrella Academy. We rewatched Season 1 (because we'd forgotten enough - and it's good enough).

Other things we've watched on HBO Max: "The Deuce" and "True Detectives". On Netflix DH has been plowing through "The Norsemen" - which is silly but very funny. It's not so complex that I can't figure out what's going on when I happen to be in the room and haven't seen 3 episodes.

harllee,

I don't agree that 'it's just the way people talk'. Certainly I don't and I hope that my children and their friends don't and it's not the way people talked where I w#rk3d or places I frequented. Perhaps yes for some when I worked in a factory.

That all said, it is definitely the way Lenny Bruce (who is portrayed as a fairly major character in MMM) and comics in that vein talked and if memory serves most of the real trash talk is reserved for the comedy shticks or 'thoughts' of the MMM. I loved the show and so have a few friends that we got started on it. DW who has a much lower tolerance for gratuitous language and sex also enjoyed it. To each their own.

harllee,

some, maybe many, but not most. i never heard that kind of language until i worked at a steel mill the summer between freshman and sophmore year in college. then on to a loading dock. and then a prison for 3-yrs (staff, not resident). yup, i've been well "schooled" but nearly all of our friends don't use that language. neither does my sister her husband, their son or his wife.

I don't think most people use foul language on a regular basis--at least not the people I know. I never hear any curse words by my friends or family, not even a "dam_"

Uhm...better not hang around us while we are building our house :D

Alone: Netflix. Originally on the History channel. Six seasons on Netflix. Survival in the wilderness, alone. Better than most reality shows.

Just started Rebecka Martinsson on Acorn ... Swedish series with subtitles.

Pretty good first episode.

Way north ... I thought well acted.

Beautiful camera work.

Back
Top Bottom